Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Gender stereotypes about intellectual ability emerge early and influence children's interests
Jan 27, 2017

Researchers from the Departments of Psychology at Princeton University, New York University, and University of Illinois - Champaign reveal their study's findings and methods.

Originally Posted by research report
The results suggest that children’s ideas about brilliance exhibit rapid changes over the period from ages 5 to 7. At 5, boys and girls associated brilliance with their own gender to a similar extent...
Despite this strong tendency to view one’s gender in a positive light, girls aged 6 and 7 were significantly less likely than boys to associate brilliance with their own gender ...
Thus, the “brilliance = males” stereotype may be familiar to, and endorsed by, children as young as 6. The stereotype associating females with being nice seems to follow a similar developmental trajectory...
I found it interesting that the age at which children begin to hold different expectations based on gender approximates the age at which most children have been in school for about a year.

While correlation does not mean causation, I would be interested to know what proportion of children in the study attended schools with female teachers, aides, lunch room workers, etc... and a male authority figure such as headmaster or principal.

Related post in General Discussion forum: NYT article
While I have no problem with mostly female teachers I HATE it when the only male is the principal. I feel it gives a really bad message. I have met people who think it is necessary to stop the environment becoming (a range of derogatory against women words).
A related article in NAGC newsletter
Stereotypes Can Hold Boys Back in School Too
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum