Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Siyas mother Gifted Toddler - 01/19/07 01:23 PM
My daughter Siya is 19 months.At 7 months she said her first three words.At 19 mos she can talk two languages - english and Hindi. She talks very clearly amd makes huge sentances - Like ' Siya is hungry, she wants to eat a banana', 'I want to go to the park' 'I have eaten enough, no more'.' I have fever, I want to sleep'(and then its the truth'..and many many more...she knows all her alphabets..and sings over 10 nursery rhymes and a few songs too. She can count upto 10 and at times even 15. She recognizes all colours and shapes.
She has just started to explore phonics on her own...suddenly she will say...'Pant..P' or 'Kite...K'
Siya hates to interact with kids her age. She does not want to sit in a place at all...she is too restless.She also attemts to rob stuff.
She loves music and reading...music can keep her dancing for an hour...and reading for about 10 minutes. But I just read the book to her once and she knows it thoroughly. The secong time she will read with me. the third time she will read it to my nanny then she is over it. There are no libraries here and its become an expensive proposition for me!
Can any of you experienced friends here help me. Guide me.Where do I start.
Regards,
Dali
Posted By: delbows Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/19/07 03:42 PM
"There are no libraries here and its become an expensive proposition for me!"

Hi Dali! Where do you live? Your daughter is gifted! You are lucky to have the help of a nanny!

My advice is to continue to explain everything and speak to her as if she were in grade school rather than a toddler.

If you don't have many books available, maybe you could write short stories for/with her.

This age is somewhat easier than what's in store as she begins school. Try your best to follow her pace!
Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/19/07 06:37 PM
Hi Dali,
How Lovely!
do spend the money on one more book and get Dr. Ruf's Losing Our Minds, Gifted Children left behind. You will need to keep track of your daughters milestones, and it's so easy to forget when one is being exhausted by a gifted child!

Don't worry about the "robbing stuff" - she is going to be a headstrong person, for better and worse.

Do give her chances to be friends with people and children of many different ages. I wonder if here is anyone around who could teach here a third language?

Is there a community of homeschooling Mom's where you live? Perhaps they borrow books back and forth? Is there a community of English speaking ex-patriots who need to get rid of their books when they "go back?"

Try you daughter on 10 minute reading sessions of more difficult books sort of "Harry Potter" Level - perhaps of folktales or Mythology? What was your favorite book as a 8 or 10 year old? try that.

Try to protect her from having to sit still. Workbooks may help for those times when she "has" to.

Love from over here,
Trinity

Posted By: Siyas mother Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/20/07 01:40 PM
Dear Trinity,
I have bought about 2 dozens of books from amazon last month. They arrived yesterday. She has already finished with two of them - goldilocks and good night gorilla. her memory is very sharp and no books last more thatn two reads. I am living in India - reading to toddlers is conceptually missing...there is nothing here for gifted children. She just does not sit in a place these days. Its really hard. Homeschooling is no concept here and so I put siya in a play group so she could interact with kids her age. She cried and cried...and kept calling other kids babies...its so difficult!Anyways i was compelled to pull her out of school for once.
I do tell her loads of stories. I include family and friends for characters which helps keep her intrigue. My big question is how do I spot which area she is 'gifted' in? Whwn will I know? This may help me narrow down and focus on those areas.
These days she likes to spend the whole day at our lawn and with our animals...we have ducks, cows, dogs,a cat and hens. She likes horses and we may bring one. When she is bored with them she likes to play football. She likes puzzles and I have got her some.
I am really trying to figure out what more I can do to help her.
Blessed Be,
dali
Posted By: Siyas mother Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/20/07 01:44 PM
Dear Delbows,

Yes I speak to her like I speak to the rest of the members in the family...she prefers it that way. I have bought 2 dozens of books from amazon.com but they may not last me over a month as she has a very sharp memory.... Yes I have created stories for her and she loves listening to them...then she goes and tells her grand pa the whole story.
Thank you
Dali
Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/20/07 10:09 PM
Dali,

You've picked up on many good practices that will serve you well. You speak to her like a person. You allow her to do what she likes to do. You tell here stories with familiar characters. You read to her. You trust her to know who she wants to play with! Wonderful.

I'm living in the US, and have no experience with Indian Culture, but my guess it there is some way of nurturing unusually bright children, that's quite different from the US style. It sounds to me like you are looking to combine the best of both traditions and I think that's wonderful.

Order longer books for your daughter, and try books about "unschooling" for you. It's an approach that stresses following the child's lead. I think it's what you are looking for.

When my son was around that age he would point to something and ask: Why?

I would say either "Custom" or "Nature." If he wanted to know more he would ask for more detail. Often it was enough.
Why no pizza for breakfast? - Custom
Why it rain today? - Nature
Why me no hit dog? - "Nature" I said, which made him laugh!

and on and on.
I think it really helped him get an overall view of the world, which is what they are trying to do.

Also I made an agreement that I wouldn't answer every question, but since I was trustable that was ok, but I would NOT lie to him or rather, that I would do my absolute best not to lie.

I think it's quite important, although leads to some messy situations. ((wink))

Love and More Love,
Trinity
Posted By: Siyas mother Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/21/07 04:11 AM
Hey Trinity...your mail made me smile..Siya is full of questions...and like you I stick to the truth...I blend it andmanipulate it to stories her mind is ready for...If she hears a noise sh asks ' What was that mumma' or 'What is this'...yes she kicks my cat too and then I tell her not to do it because it hurts...she knows the word 'injury' and shows me the smallest scatches on herself...so I tell her the cat wil cry id you kick her...siya is sensitive to her pets and capable of understanding that.
Trinity I dont know if there is some way to nuture Siya...there is no Indian way...I am just lucky to be savvy with the net and google stuff for her growth. the net has surely helped me. My quest for knowledge on gifted children continues. Is giftedness a blessing or a curse? How do I know which area she is gifted in? How do I keep away from letting her giftedness go waste? so on and on.
Regards,

Dali
Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/21/07 05:04 AM
Dali -
Is life a blessing or a curse? a blessing, of course!
There is no difference between being gifted for your daughter and being alive. So giftedness is a blessing. also a PIA. (pain in the neck - US slang for a difficult thing. How does the Indian version go?

How do you know which areas she is gifted in? Keep a journal of at least one sentence of what she loves every day. Soon enough you will be able to look back and see the patterns. There is need to every know what areas her gift is in - because she, like you and I grow and change every day.

The way to keep her giftedness from going to waste is not avoid putting her in innapropriate situations where people place a lot of innapripriate demands. ((playgroup with agemates, school if she has already mastered most of what they are teaching))

Remember that she will probably not grow up to use her best skill, she will probably grow up to do the work that best matches her Values. Keep teaching her the things any child needs to have good Values and be kind, and also allow her to learn whatever she is interested in.

Look around for lots of Aunties and Uncles who will talk to her and be interested in what she has to say.

Here what little I've been able to piece together about Indian culture and giftedness, please forgive me if I am wrong, please forgive my ignorance -
1) Are there Traditions in India of very young people being noticed as spiritually very developed at very young ages? Spirituality is a common aspect of Giftedness. Is special training availible? Is it only for boys?
2) Does the idea of Reincarnation leave room for a very young person to have some of the qualities of their past lives appear at unusually young ages?
3) Most of the Indian people I know are through my work, where I met many highly intelligent Doctors with lovely characters. What kind of preparation was given to them?
4) What kinds of early lives did your artist have?

Basically my assumption is that the U.S. is wonderful in that it is open to so many new ideas, but, on the other hand, we certianly don't have ALL or even MOST of the good ideas. I would like to keep pushing you to look in BOTH directions with great pride in your tradition and country. I hope this is acceptable.

Blessed Be,
Trinity

Posted By: Siyas mother Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/22/07 05:32 PM
Dear Trinity,
That sounds so easy for you. I write her journal though not each day. Even with a nanny I feel so exhausted at the end of the day that I keep procrasinating this job.
Luckily I live in an extended family setup which helps her a lot. My husbands brother, his wife (Anu) and his father we all live together and get along very well. Siya is very popular with all of them. My husbands brother and his wife travel quiet a bit but when they are here they are constantly providing her the intellectual stimulation she needs. Anu plays snap the card game with her and Siya loves it.
Siya is naturally spiritual. she is usually very kind to all living things or even things that have no life. She likes praying and reminds me each day even if I forget.Sorry comes easily from her mouth and when she sees any of our animals in pain she cries with them.
Well I dont know how the artists and doctors were brought up! But yes traditions hold great importance and Siya loves most of the customary ones.
Off late siya has decided that she wants to play with the moon. She says 'Moon come down, sit here,play with me'. So I told her moon can play hide and seek but wont sit here. I take her to all the windows and from a few she can se the moon. She keeps my brain at work all day! smilzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Dali
Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/22/07 07:13 PM
LOL Dali!
It's always easy to give advice! I remember, a little still, about how much energy it takes to raise a toddler, especially a wide awake one.

I'm so jealous about your living situation - sounds heavenly.

As for energy: Apparently there are a lot of people who gain energy by being quiet by themselves, and others who gain energy from being with other people. Most people are blends, but if you can figure out what your own tendency is, perhaps you can harness it to give yourself back some more energy.

If you are like me, energized by touching hearts with other humans, then your journal could be little notes to us, cut and pasted into a personal file on your computer, or keep the journal near where you have a little daily visit with a friend or your father-in-law, and develop the habit of telling them a little something about Siya's day and then writing it down with their support.

Can you add journal writing to your prayer times? I'm a big believer in routines. Who knows?- soon Siya may be immitating you and keeping a journal of her own.

Today is my birthday. I am so pleased to be sharing it with you.
My son is 10 years old. I get lots of little bits of time to myself nowadays, but still am always trying to be availible for the times he comes looking for me. My sister-in-law had told me that by age 5, her children were pretty self-sufficient. That wasn't my experience at all, but after 10 years of parenting, I have more of a balanced life.

Love and More Love,
Trinity
Posted By: Siyas mother Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/23/07 12:31 PM
Dearest Trinity,
Happy Birthsday to you. May God bless you..I wish you happiness too. I love birthdays. And the only present I can offer is a free tarot reading...I am an experienced reader and read for free...charging fo readings is against my ethics.
Birthday celebrations are rites of passage. We sing, dance, make speeches, drink, and eat. The ceremony and rituals may be very formal and/or quite elaborate with an abundance of flowers, candles, and decorations. Or, a rite of passage may be marked quietly and simply just by acknowledging it. Sometimes we perform a ritual quietly, in private, to note a personal milestone.

We are somehow changed, hopefully for the better but always different than we were before. In some sense, we are transformed and we acknowledge such transformations with ritual celebrations. Traditional ceremonies honor our ethnic and/or spiritual background, even our history. Special words, music, and food are customary and connect us to each other.
Rites of passage honor the past, acknowledge the present, and give us hope for the future.

I wish you such a great day ahead and a wonderful year and the bestest life!

Love
Dali
Posted By: willagayle Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/24/07 01:30 AM
Dali,
In which city in India do you live? What languages do you speak?

I'm married to a Malayali. My 2 sons have been raised in a rich combination of the Malayali and American cultures. We have a home in Kerala, near Kochi, but for the most part we reside in The States.

Having seen first hand some of the parenting differences between the cultures, I can say that Indian parents/adults interact with young children (under 5 years of age) MUCH more than the Americans do. The child is nearly constantly in direct contact and conversation with an adult. While there are a few toys to be had, they do not dominate the child's day as they do here in the States. Rather the child is allowed to explore their natural home environment under the constant, vigilant watch of an adult relative or servant.

Really, the children are not read to as much as Americans do; hence the lack of children's books. Young children in India are held much more than here. Here the child is likely to be plunked in a swing, saucer or car seat. The car seat is often misused to be the baby's sleep inducer, too.

To me the young child in upper middle class India is the prince or princess...adored and encouraged to learn as they wish.

In my experience, it is the early childhood experiences in India that really help the gifted potential in the children. The upper level education -- grammar and up -- is a bit too harsh, still, but in my 22 years of being closely tied to the culture, I have seen vast improvements in that area.

As for teaching Siya, I think you've made tremendous gains already. I'm going to have to ponder a bit some solutions for you. It is true that Indians do not recognize giftedness as much as the West and given that the West is pretty limited that way, too, that means you have quite a battle ahead in developing education opportunities for Siya. I have a difficult time getting my DH to understand that our sons are "gifted" and need things to be different than the norm in most aspects of their lives. He feels that "gifted" is a ridiculous American invention. teehee!! Funny thing is both his parents, who reside in India, think the boys are "extremely too intelligent" (to quote Achaachin -- FIL) and they know that changes must be made to accomodate their learning. How that knowledge missed my husband, I don't know, but oh well, I digress....

I wanted to say, too, that Rite and Siya have the moon in common! When Rite was 19 months, we were driving cross-country through the flat and dry state of Nebraska at night. There was a full moon. Rite always loved the moon and knew the book "Good Night Moon" by heart. When we through a ball in the air it was, "Ball Moon Sky" not "throw the ball" for him. Anyhow, on that drive, he was watching the moon through the window and asked, "Momma. Is the moon a hole or a ball"! I asked him what he thought it was and he said, "I think its a ball, but it looks like a hole." hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Now I'll always wonder.:^)

Our "moon kids", Dali, keep us delighted and slightly worried all at once!!!
Posted By: Siyas mother Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/24/07 03:54 PM
Thank you Willagayle for writing in. Siya loved Good Niight Moon too...but she has a very sharp memory and once she reads a book 2 to 3 times she talks anout it to her maid...she rarely picks it up...until another kid comes over and she wants to play the teacher.... yes siya is loved unconditionally an to the extent that she is spoilt. Lots of adults here constantly talking to her. She has many books...but once they are read to her a few times over she is done with them...then she makes stories around it...her current favourite is Goldilocks and There is a nightmare in my closet...
I would warmly welcome suggestions...i am from Bombay but living here in Hisar haryana where my beloved husband lived his life...its a small town...really small...But we are the Royal family here so we can have a few extra things...like arrange a music teacher...we travel to Delhi (3 hrs from here) often and Bombay twice a year.Its quiet a daily challenge to keep her intellectually stimulated. She has started solving puzzles...in less than 20 minutes she can solve them...the second time it takes her under two minutes.
The most difficult is figuring the gifts...she is so good at math...loves music too..give her a brush and she is as involved as van gosh or salvador perhaps. she hates building toys or construction sets or legos...which amuses me...I loved them as a kid...mu aunt got them from USA and we waited for them all year through...for our new lego...and when technic came I was much older but still amused!
Warm regards,
Dali
Posted By: Ania Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/24/07 04:15 PM
Dali, you mentiond music, which is an excellent stimulation for any child, gifted or not. Have you ever heard about the Suzuki method of music education? See if you can find any suzuki teachers in your area (Dehli for sure has some :-)
Ania
Posted By: willagayle Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/24/07 06:25 PM
It sounds like Siya might be ready to look into deeper aspects of reading. When you look at a book like GoodNight Moon, there is much more depth than just the story or words. Does she look for the mouse? Does she notice how the kittens "feel" or how the "mittens" feel? Does she have mittens? Get them wet and let her hang them to dry. See how long it takes to dry wet mittens? How does the old lady look -- old, tired, peaceful?? Is the bed ready to sleep in or ready for rising? Does the rug need dusting? Is the child hungry? Is the fire hot or cold?

There are lots of things to work on in those books than just the quickly memorizable story lines. When you read to her do you emphasize phonics and reading mechanics or do you go off on tangents like the above described?

If you need ideas on developing those tangents let me know. My suspicion is that Siya will enjoy those "finer" aspects of reading even the books she thinks she is bored about.

"Making stories around it" shows that Siya is already, on her own, developing a sense that "reading" is about "knowing" and "experiencing".

Try some easy chapter books next. I'd suggest the Magic Tree series.

As for Legos and the like, do you play with her with those or do you let her play with them herself alone? I'd suggest the latter to the former. Just leave them out in an area where she can get into them at will then when she starts to play with them, stay in the background and let her explore them without instruction or guidance.

It is good you have connections to Delhi and Bombay. We had a flat in Bomday for a long time, but sold it about 10 years ago. Too sad as it would be worth about 10x as much now!!! chuckle.

Anyhow, Delhi has some good bookstores and education options are a bit better, than in the south. I know my husband's young cousins go to schools there in Gurgaon that are much more flexible in learning than the typical Indian school. I'll ask them which they are and what they suggest for you.

You know, really, Siya has it better that there are NOT so many books to choose from, imo. She must rely on her capable mind to entertain herself and it already shows that she has developed there.

Do you ever get a chance to go abroad? Does Amazon deliver directly to you or do you get their deliveries through a third party? What other books do you have?

Do you have a printer? You can print your own pictures and make them into puzzles. Also start doing simple logic puzzles and tricks with her.

Do you have web access at home or do you go to an internet cafe?

Willa
Posted By: Siyas mother Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/25/07 03:49 AM
Dear willa,
When I read to Siya I am very animated. Siya has picked that up already...and she is a great actor in the making. she never misses the details in the books...loves the mouse... Infact she loves looking at every page like it were a painting...she loves paintings and stares at them making her own stories.
Most of the books I have ordered are from amazon.com. Actually our house is in gurgaon...but unfortunately our base is Hisar and she cant school in Gurgaon...yet I would be happy to know about your cousins experience and school details...
I'll try the legos suggestion out this week...I hope it works...
I have web access 24/7...a printer too...I do print stuff from the net...she loves sticker books these days...can stick all day...we also find pictures from the newspaper...make a story and stick them in a book.
Love
Dali
Posted By: Siyas mother Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/25/07 03:51 AM
Dear Ania,
I'll find out about suzuki teachers ! thank you very much!
Regards,
Dali
Posted By: Siyas mother Re: Gifted Toddler - 01/26/07 02:56 PM
Dear ania,
No luck on suzuki method so far. I will try harder. Nothing through the net though.
Regards,
Dali
Posted By: mayreeh Re: Gifted Toddler - 02/05/07 03:21 PM
Dali -

One thing we did with my children was to use tv - don't know what your access is though. We watched carefully chosen educational tv shows together. No wars or blood - but things on how buildings are constructed or how bathtubs are made or the historical origins of a myth. The kids really enjoyed that more than typical kid programming.

Computers were great for us as well. Many great computer games that helped to hone math and reading skills - but also logic, and creativity. I know - seems like a lot for a 19 mo - but you can always start small and expand as their skills grow.

An old fashioned children's encyclopedia worked wonders for us. We bought an old set of 'Charlie Brown's Cycopedia' - and both kids read and reread and reread.

From my experience, money spent on nonfiction was much more useful than money spent on fiction. We also bought many books that were actually intended for much older children or for adults (although always with some prescreening for content). Field guides to nature always were hits. Lots of pictures for when they were in childlike moods - but lots of facts and graphs and maps for when they were in adult mode.

We bought many books used from other people at weekend markets, yard sales, and on ebay. Are there any sources of used books available to you? Large lots can be cheaper than individual titles often.

Can you access hoagiesgifted.com? It is a great web site that has a ton of articles on giftedness. One of the best resources I know.

Many parents of gifted kids have enjoyed the book 'Raising your spirited child' (or something like that - I don't have my son's memory for book titles). Helps you to view things a little different.

Keep in mind your child is different. Normally, in the US, children are expected to nap until age 5 or 6. We stopped naps at around 18 months because they were such a nightmare for the whole family. We replaced them with 'quiet time' - quietly listening to a book on tape or watching a calm movie - and allowing the parent on duty to nap! Made a huge difference in our lives.

We have found that certain foods have very beneficial effects. Carrots with lots of beta carotene and salmon with lots of Omega fatty acids have a very visible impact on my kids' behavior and their ability to control themselves.

Get familiar with Dabrowski's overexcitabilities. (Lots of articles on the internet and some coverage in books as well.) Helps you to better understand the range of normal behavior for gifted children.

Does your daughter pretend at all? Can you encourage that? This creative side can be a real boon. Art, music, stories, games - all can be the result of this - plus it can win you some more time alone as she will be more content to play alone.

Don't worry about social development as though it were the only thing that mattered. It is just one piece of growing up.

Can she start to learn chess? That was another real boon to my DS. It helped him to see a reason to slow down and think before moving.

Oh well- all I can think of - good luck.

Mary
Posted By: Siyas mother Re: Gifted Toddler - 02/06/07 04:42 PM
Dear Mary,
Thank you so much for writing in.I watch sensible TV with her too. But since she has syptoms of ADD, I try to minimize TV watching.I do have a whole lot of books. Just bought some encylopedia types.
I have been to hoagies. By their defination siya falls in to the Twice exceptional category.She is an oscar winning performer. She pretends a lot. Animates almost everything she says...I am learning from her in this matter.Loves music and stories...likes to paint but winters I keep paints away...too cold to bathe her or clean up the room...lol.
Is'nt it too early to start chess? May be I will wait a year!
I will resd up about Dabrowski's overexcitabilities.
Will keep the other reccomendations in mind too.
Thank you indeed.
Dali
Posted By: MyAslan Re: Gifted Toddler - 02/07/07 05:44 AM
My first post smile

My son is 3, and wants to go to school so bad. He is reading books that are way beyond his age group. So does anyone know where to start with educating a gifted child? I am at a total loss. I have no idea where to start. He can write and read, so I think preschool might be very boring to him. If anyone has ANY advice, I would appreaciate it. Thanks. smile
Posted By: Galaxy Girl Re: Gifted Toddler - 02/07/07 03:08 PM
Hi MyAslan,

I have no doubt that preschool would be boring to your son. My son (now 8, 3rd grade) *hated* preschool. He only lasted 3 weeks. He was much happier being home where we could read and do puzzles and make up stories and play with numbers, etc. My daughter (now 6, 1st grade) was like your son and wanted so badly to go to school from the time she was 3 years old. (Part of it was that she had two older siblings in school and wanted to be like them.) We put her into preschool a year earlier than planned--and actually, she only went for the last 3 months of the school year--and then into K at 4-1/2 years old at a private school (same place where she attended preschool). We did this to get around the age cutoff in our state. Because she did K at the private school, we were able to enroll her in 1st grade at public school at age 5-1/2.

The best thing you can do for your son now is to follow his lead, let him explore whatever interests him. Read everything you can find on gifted children. And start exploring the school options in your area. Maybe for now you could try to get him into a preschool with older kids, if he really wants to go to school? Or a Montessori-type school where he could learn at his own pace?

Keep reading and posting here. I have learned so much from everyone here.

GG
Posted By: willagayle Re: Gifted Toddler - 02/08/07 02:57 AM
Montessori might work for these gifted little ones if it is one that allows the child to progress at their own rate.
Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted Toddler - 02/08/07 09:14 PM
Mixed age classroom is key. I reccomend lots of visits to possible schools. Preschools that are attached to k-8 or k-12 schools are good as they might be more flexible. Or at least have teachers on campus that can work with teachers in younger rooms.
Good luck,
Trinity
Posted By: Baba Re: Gifted Baby - 08/19/07 02:43 AM
How did you know?

My Baby started to talk with 13 weeks. She is very alert.
The health nurse told me she is 3 months ahead of other children.

She says hello and mama. She can hold a ball in her hand.

Thanks for your help.

Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted Baby - 08/19/07 03:06 AM
Hi Baba,
I didn't know until he "crashed and burned" in 2nd grade, but looking back -
eye contact in the first 48 hours -
At 4 weeks when I went to visit my co-workers with him in the baby sling, as I spoke to them, they reported that he observed me carefully, and moved his head in the same way and to the same beat, including mirroring facial expressions.
He knew his letters at 2, without being taught.

Best book by far is 'Deb Ruf's Losing our Minds, Gifted Children left behind.' You can also call her up for a phone consult.

Document everything on video camera! With ages.

I reccoment talking to her as though she knows what you are saying, and limiting the amount of TV violence that on when she's within earshot - real or pretend. I would also keep an eye on her sleep habits - it can be extra hard for these kids to unwind - we didn't use any rituals - just kept him up till he colapsed, or nursed until we drifted off. I would be more proactive now.

How old is she now?

try these articles -
http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10223.aspx
http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10284.aspx
http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10299.aspx
http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10082.aspx

Best Wishes and happy baby -
Trinity
Posted By: Baba Re: Gifted Baby - 08/19/07 07:31 AM
Hi Trinity,

she is 15 weeks old.

Other people tell me that she is very alert but they don't believe me that she is talking already.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted Baby - 08/20/07 03:35 PM
They don't believe you! That's too bad. I've heard plenty of stories of talking babies - also babies that count in the uterus, as in, Mom taps three times, baby kicks three times. Mine wasn't like that, but many are.

You might want to joint your state gifted association and start making friends with other parents of gifted kids. There is no official definition of gifted, so although it's too early to tell if your baby is, or will be gifted, no one can say your baby isn't gifted. You deserve to be around people will believe you. It's not good for mommies or children to have to 'mask themselves' all the time. You may also want to start hanging out at the public library, looking for mom's with huge bags of books (fast readers sometimes are gifted) or early readers, who are also sometimes gifted.

Post here often and brag to your hearts content.

Smiles,
Trin
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum