Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: coveln hawaii - 09/06/17 12:47 AM
I am considering a job and relocation to Maui. I am concerned about finding a school and social situation that is good for my 6 and 10 year old kids. We are currently in a good public school district and struggling to get their academic needs met and I am reading that Hawaii has generally poor public schools so I am worried. I am open to private schools but would love to hear from anyone that has researched them or lived there and any personal experience on socializing there would be great. I am reading that local children are not very accepting of newcomers and I hate to add another challenge on top of all we already have. Homeschooling and/or online school might be an option too although I want to be sure they have enough social opportunities.
Posted By: Merlin Re: hawaii - 09/06/17 06:17 AM
I have heard Seabury Hall is a good private school. They win a lot of math competitions.
Posted By: polarbear Re: hawaii - 09/07/17 03:20 PM
coveln, I pm'd you.
Posted By: coveln Re: hawaii - 09/08/17 07:29 AM
Thanks Merlin. I was eyeing Seabury as it seems to be one of the main ones there but there are many private schools there and wasn't finding much about their reputations.
Posted By: Dude Re: hawaii - 09/13/17 08:49 PM
Didn't live on Maui, but I did live on Oahu and visited Maui a few times.

Maui has two things working against it when considering gifted education options:

1) Thin population
2) Pidgin as a first language - this is why Hawaiian schools rate so poorly

Services for gifted children tend to increase wherever there are more of them, but both of these things will have the opposite effect.

My experiences with nativism were isolated, but enough to show that it's definitely a thing.

In general, I'd say you're right to be concerned about your children's educational environment, but there are a lot of other factors to consider in making a leap like this, and there can be some amazing benefits. There are some great opportunities there to learn outside the classroom. Think dormant volcano, tide pools, coral reefs.
Posted By: coveln Re: hawaii - 10/29/17 06:01 AM
Thanks Dude. We are still pursuing the opportunity but won't know for a couple more months I think. I am really hoping that at least the "college prep" private school will have kids with a decent range of abilities. Then again it is pretty small. I think it is quite fair to say that we wouldn't be moving there specifically for the educational opportunities at least within the schools. I am hoping we can find something reasonable and the other factors are enough to make it worth it. If anyone lives on Maui......please speak up.....and maybe we can plan some playdates smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum