Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: mom2wi Middle schooler interested in learning latin - 05/23/13 06:23 PM
My middle schooler wants to learn Latin. It is not offered in our district, does anyone have any good resources?
These folks offer it, but we've never taken a course from them, so I can't comment on quality.

http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/gll/
I started a thread in the recommended learning resources forum a couple of months and got some suggestions, which you may want to check out. My DS (rising 5th grader) ended up using William Linney's Getting Started with Latin. I also picked up some nice laminated grammar and vocabulary charts from BarCharts, Inc./Quick Study Academic via Amazon. He is able to learn it independently although I do answer questions occasionally.
Wow! Someone else with a middle school kid who wants to learn Latin! She attends a private school, but our local homeschool store had some books and CDs that we are going to start with. I wanted something that she could work on in her spare time in class. So, we got her a book that analyzes Latin hymns. She can listen at night and use the workbook in class. When she gets through that, I will go to a more formal systematic curriculum. The homeschool store had a few options for curriculum and a tutor that did classes there. If she sticks with it, we may arrange something with him. If you live near one, you may see what they have.
We use Latina Christiana (videos, workbook, and flashcards).
At my private middle school, we use Ecce Romani. We have it as a required class, so I wouldn't know about learning it by oneself, but it's nice because it allows you to figure out some of the grammar by yourself before learning the chart. I think they might actually use it at the CTD course DeeDee mentioned, but I couldn't find an explicit statement about that anywhere.

Also, through the CAFE library system in Wisconsin (I'm assuming you're there because of your username) you can find some good resources. Most of them require a library card, though.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum