Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Hi, we're considering applying to this program for our son (5 yrs. old). I'm just wondering if anyone has used their services and what your experiences have been. It seems to be a fairly lengthy application process plus the fee for another test (we had an IQ test, would need to pay for an Achievement Test).

Just wondering if it's worth it, any feedback would be great!
Shop around for the Achievement tests - they don't have to be given by a psychologist, and that lowers the cost -

YSP gives an opening to a social group for your kids that is hard to beat. The email lists for parents are fun and educational. If you have the IQ scores, try the portfolio option, or shop around for an Achievement test.

Smiles,
Grinity
Might there be a possibilty your school would do the testing and take care of the expense?

Our experience has been wonderful guidance with trying to get more appropriate education. This was very helpful because it let me know we needed to get into another school.

I would send in application with the portfolio and see what happens.
Thanks for the responses. He's only five and still in preschool, so they won't cover the expense. As for a portfolio, not much there since he's just learning to write. I could video tape him reading or doing math problems, but I'm not so sure it would be substantial enough. I could also shop around for achievement tests, but he had such a good rapport w/the psychologist who administered his IQ test.

We were informed during his kindergarten registration that the district does not have a gifted program at all. They have an accelerated program that doesn't kick in until the 6th grade. I don't know what they're going to do w/him while the rest of the class is learning how to count M&M's (not trying to be sarcastic or condescending, but as many on this forum know, that can be a real problem.)

I don't know, but I'm wondering if an achievement test is worth having just as further "evidence" (for lack of a better word) of him having a "special need" (anticipating that we might run into problems as we already have at his preschool)

Thanks.
Our school district didn't cover the costs of achievement or IQ testing, so we paid for the IQ test and submitted the portfolio. We videotaped DD then 7 reading and included some pictures she'd drawn (she was working on a series of cat drawings at the time smile

We also included the tests the school did do: KBIT and Raven's (they're not official tests for DYS purposes, but DYS said to include them in the portfolio regardless).

FWIW, my daughter didn't have a miserable time in Kindegarten (perhaps because it was only 2.5 days per week). She was pretty occupied just by the social stuff, so she didn't mind the "counting M&Ms" stuff (in our case gumdrops!). Plus the teacher let her bring in a book.

The benefit of waiting until first grade to apply to DYS was that we did have those other tests (KBIT and Raven's) to include in the portfolio.

We haven't used too many DYS sources yet as we've only been involved for a year, but it was VERY helpful to have our consultant send a letter to the teacher and principal offering to consult if necessary. The school's been great--DD got a lot of in-class differentiation. We've just dipped our toe into the subject-acceleration pool, and I'm thinking it will be very useful to have DYS as a resource.

Also, the e-mail lists have been extraordinarily helpful!

HTH
Video tape of your son is a great idea - get the camera out and see what you can catch! And achievement testing is (in my opinion) less bonding dependent...if you can afford to have the psychologist do it, go ahead - or at least talk to the psychologist and explain - perhaps there is a student intern who could do some of the work for less than the usual fee under the psychologist's supervision.

Smiles,
Grinity
Thanks, I think I will give the video a whirl and see what I come up with. If need be, I'll just have to go ahead w/the achievement test.
Posted By: JAUx2 simple question about DYS application - 04/03/11 01:42 AM
I'm new to this and have started working on ds' DYS application. What have others done--used a typewriter or handwritten the application? I'm down to stressing about these types of things! Is there a way I don't know about to type on the form although it's a .pdf?
Thanks!
Posted By: menlomom74 Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/03/11 02:11 AM
Hi..
I don't think it matters. Either one is good.
My DD was not in last year but I will try for this year since via work samples or portfolio, wish her luck wink.
I did typed last year, actually I typed in word format in the application since room for narrative is pretty tight so I did use additional pages for that.
Actually if you have pdf writer version you can type directly to the form, but I don't have it so I used Word.
Hope this helps.
Posted By: JAUx2 Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/03/11 02:19 AM
Thanks--I'm just getting started and worried about all things great and small!

Good luck to you and your DD!
I hand filled it in and scanned it and emailed it at 11:30pm, March 31st (deadline is 1st). That's all I had time for, considering I started the application at 10:30pm smile. I'm hoping my son's scores, and not his mother's literary efforts, will sway the DYS decision.
Posted By: Mia Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/03/11 04:30 AM
I just typed answers to the questions in a Word document, printed that, and wrote "see attached" on the actual form. They didn't want to muddle through pages of my handwriting, I'm positive! smile
Posted By: Mam Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/03/11 04:36 AM
Same here, except I hand wrote the short answers and attached the questions with the longer answers.
Posted By: Nan Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/03/11 05:01 AM
I used Acrobat to type answers to the form part directly in. I did the questions as a word processing document. I scanned in the signature page, so it was .jpg. I attached all three of those files in one email, and sent a .jpg of the test results in a second email.
Check under tools of your acrobat and see if you have a typewriter mode.
Posted By: Grinity Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/03/11 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Mia
I just typed answers to the questions in a Word document, printed that, and wrote "see attached" on the actual form. They didn't want to muddle through pages of my handwriting, I'm positive! smile
Yup, me to.

The key to success is to just DO it, and not get bogged down in the perfectionism!

Good enough will have to be good enough!
Grinity
Hi everyone,

Since questions about the Davidson Young Scholars program come up from time to time, sometimes new people join the board and ask questions that may have already been answered or discussed. Because of this, I am making this thread "sticky" (meaning that it will stay at the top) and it will serve as an open thread about the Davidson Young Scholars program. Please use this thread to discuss anything Young Scholar-related.

For informational purposes, here are a few past threads about the Young Scholars program:

Young Scholars - whether to apply

Applied for DYS and They Need More Info: Help

Young Scholars application

Full search results for "Young Scholars"

Thank you! If anyone has anything to add, please share it in this thread.
Mark
Thank you Mark and thanks to everyone else in this thread. I'm trying not to be nervous waiting. We sent ours for the April 1 deadline. I asked DH and DS to go play together (lol) and spent about 8 hours hand writing the application, contacting his tutor and explaining the reference form, making copies of DS's work and recording a video of a presentation he gave onto a CD. I made the decision to snail mail everything instead of email as I wasn't certain I could keep it to the attachment limit requested. I received an email a few days later saying that the application is complete (phew!).

I guess I'm nervous because we are applying without IQ test results. Hoping his achievement score and the portfolio I put together will be good enough. Glad I waited till this year (he's 8) instead of doing it last year because he's only now starting to write more. Apart from the CD, I sent in his math doodles (he draws graphs of number patterns for pleasure) and a sketch he made of a science experiment he plans to carry out (involving sodium and explosions) and a few pages of his word collection (yes, he collects words). Like others mentioned, I typed out a long story on a word doc and attached that to the application. Included all the milestones I could remember about reading, math etc.

"After" (emphasis on after) sending it I realized there were a bunch of good videos I'd taken that I could have included (big frustrated SIGH...). Well, fingers crossed! And good luck to everyone else waiting like we are.
Posted By: bbq797 Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/05/11 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by DrinkMoreWater
I'm hoping my son's scores, and not his mother's literary efforts, will sway the DYS decision.

LOL! Me too! I hope I didn't take the application process too lightly {sigh}. It is what it is...just heard back that everything is complete and they will let us know their decision at the end of the month.

Good luck to everyone else who applies/is applying!
Originally Posted by LDmom
"After" (emphasis on after) sending it I realized there were a bunch of good videos I'd taken that I could have included (big frustrated SIGH...). Well, fingers crossed! And good luck to everyone else waiting like we are.
Oh Golly, Just send out the videos you have tomorrow. Maybe you'll get lucky and they haven't even reviewed yours yet.
Good Luck to all,
Grinity
Posted By: Lukemac and another DYS question.... - 05/31/11 06:05 PM
Hey All!
Hope you had great Memorial Day weekends!!
Quick question for those in the know.... If DYS asked for additional items, and then you send them, when do they get reviewed? Do you become part of that months pool, or is there a separate review?
Thanks!!!
Posted By: Grinity Re: and another DYS question.... - 05/31/11 07:54 PM
Lukemac, I think that they review them as they arrive - but don't quote me!

Thanks for the Memorial Day wishes - Lukemac, it's really great that DYS wanted more info. Very often this leads to acceptance.

And even if it doesn't, you still have the same great kid you've always had!
Grinity
Posted By: Lukemac Re: and another DYS question.... - 05/31/11 08:09 PM
Thanks Grin!!
Will let you know!
I feel deep inside that he is PG and that he could benefit from DYS... The bigger question for now, is could I prove it! If I can't, then I will put it on my back burner, enjoy my love bug and see what 1st grade brings!
Thanks for the support....
Posted By: menlomom74 Re: and another DYS question.... - 06/01/11 03:04 AM
Hi Lukemac...
Our experience for our DD10 that we applied for the first time without portfolio and they came back and asked for more info or work samples since I didn't have collection of work samples at that time..I waited about 6 months and re-apply with work samples and accepted.
I feel the same way too, I feel that my DD is PG, but I think I didn't do a good job on how I described DD in very detail in 1st time application.

Good luck to you....
Posted By: LDmom Re: and another DYS question.... - 06/01/11 03:48 AM
We applied without IQ scores. Along with work samples, I wrote a letter (I think it was about 4-5 pages long, typed on a word doc) about his milestones and how much of a challenge it has been parenting and now, homeschooling this child. It's one of the most honest and open letters I have ever written in my life!

If your gut tells you he is PG, tell them about it. Explain honestly why you think this. It might help!

All the very, very best Lukemac!
Posted By: Iucounu Re: and another DYS question.... - 06/01/11 10:39 AM
Hi, Lukemac. I didn't realize you had applied with the May group. I'm sorry to hear that your son wasn't accepted on the first try. It's my understanding that the reapplication will get swept up in the block of applications for that month, and the notification should come out at about the same time as the others for that month. Good luck, and keep us posted.

ETA: I see now that you applied a few months ago. Again, good luck!
Posted By: TwinkleToes work samples / portfolio for DYS - 06/01/11 11:15 AM
Hi,

What would you suggst we put in a portfolio for a just turned five year old? How many pages for instance? Would you have her read on video, talk about science, add drawings, stories, and worksheets?

What level of work would be expected for this age (she turned five in May). Would second and third grade materials be appropriate?

thanks in advance
Posted By: JBDad Re: work samples / portfolio for DYS - 06/01/11 12:17 PM
We put together a folder that contained a dozen or two pictures. We figured that they were small and if they didn't want to flip through them all, then didn't have to. Generally these were pictures we took at the time because we that was DS was doing was 'interesting' but we were pretty clueless on the fact that he was out there. So we had pictures from 3 years of age to 7 (the age DS was when we applied). By age 5 we suspected he was at least HG so we knew to take a picture every now and then. Otherwise no one would believe us :-)

I think we also include a few worksheets, but not too, too many. And I had already made a couple of home movies to share with my folks so I put them on a thumb drive and sent them in.

It was probably overkill, but that's what we did. I think anything that shows your DC working 'several grade levels above' a typical child would be fine. But take that with a grain of salt.

Good luck!

JB
Posted By: TwinkleToes Re: work samples / portfolio for DYS - 06/01/11 12:50 PM
thanks, JBDad

What sort of movies and pictures did you submit?

She is clearly years and years ahead but I don't know if she is highly or profoundly gifted at this point. We were hoping to get an IQ test with a recent evaluation, but they did achievement testing that isn't acceped by DYS even though the scores are qualifying. There is no urgency to apply, but I am curious.

How has DYS been useful for you?

Thanks
Posted By: JBDad Re: work samples / portfolio for DYS - 06/01/11 01:09 PM
There were two movies, both pretty short. One day DS (then 5) was drawing a detailed anatomical picture in chalk on the driveway. It was based on a torso model he used. He went through a period of time when he was really into anatomy. REALLY into it. The other movie was a short one when he was doing his math thing doing addition/subtraction with different base numbers. We tried to pick moments where he was being himself.

The most helpful thing is the network of support, much like this group. It's not a magic bullet and sometimes I think people think it is. (To some degree I guess I used to think that too.) But there's still the hard work that we do with advocating at the school. (Tomorrow's our next IEP.) But it's validation that (a) you're not crazy--at least not about this--and (b) there are more people in this boat than you might realize. We are still relatively new to the system so we haven't yet used all of the resources offered either.

JB
Posted By: Lukemac Re: work samples / portfolio for DYS - 06/01/11 02:24 PM
Dottie - which tests would be a 160 test? DS had some scores over 160 on WJ Ach. This portfolio business is tough!!!
Posted By: TwinkleToes Re: work samples / portfolio for DYS - 06/01/11 02:55 PM
Hi Dottie,

I am waiting for my copy, but I thought I saw 163 with a max of 165 or something along those lines on the achievement tests she was given.
Posted By: Lukemac Re: work samples / portfolio for DYS - 06/01/11 03:03 PM
which test are you talking about?
Posted By: TwinkleToes Re: work samples / portfolio for DYS - 06/01/11 03:14 PM
oh, I'll go back and edit to add that they were achievement tests my DD had (not the ones DYS wants). That's all we have right now. I'm not remembering their names right now. I'm waiting for the scores and report.
Posted By: Grinity Re: work samples / portfolio for DYS - 06/01/11 03:39 PM
Twinkles -
Even if you go 'Portfolio' option, I believe you'll be asked to send all the testing you have - even the baby WPPSI from forever ago, and whatever Achievement testing was done recently. I think that this is a good idea, and will help your portfolio.

Good luck,
Grinity
Posted By: Rockpeaguac DYS...family consultant - 07/18/11 05:19 PM
Hello,
My son was recently accepted to DYS. I am wondering what the typical timeline is for being put in touch with your family consultant. We just got approval for math acceleration from the school board and they would like assistance with setting our ds up in the appropriate classroom/grade. I would love to utilize our consultants expertise, but not sure if it will meet him/her within the timeframe as things are happening now. He was in the June decision month.

Thanks!
Posted By: Grinity Re: DYS...family consultant - 07/18/11 05:35 PM
Contact them and explain, they can probably work something out.
Congrats on the approval - Yippee!
Grinity
Posted By: Nautigal Re: DYS...family consultant - 07/19/11 03:42 AM
Congratulations!

I don't recall it taking that long before somebody emailed us. Maybe it's in your spam folder?
Posted By: Kate Re: DYS...family consultant - 07/19/11 11:08 AM
It took us a little over a month before we got our FC. But they told us that it would when we got the acceptance notice. I was in a similar situation and sent in a preview letter so the FC would know what we needed her for ASAP.
Posted By: Nautigal Re: DYS...family consultant - 07/21/11 02:17 AM
Ok, I checked in my email, and my memory is faulty as usual.

I got the confirmation email on June 4th and that's when they said they were mailing the packet, then it was July 16th when I got the email from the consultant saying she would like to call us. In between there was receiving the packet and sending it back and all that.

Posted By: Mark D. Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/21/11 05:00 PM
I'm moving this thread to the "Experiences with Davidson Young Scholars" thread.
Posted By: whattodo? July DYS - 07/28/11 11:19 PM
Just got the news that DS6 was accepted as a DYS. Relieved to have some more help to figure things out with schooling.
smile
Posted By: DeHe Re: July DYS - 07/28/11 11:27 PM
Congrats!!!
Posted By: 3xmama Re: July DYS - 07/29/11 02:57 PM
I am applying for August, but only sent in test results (and accompanying application with some descriptions of what he's like) and no portfolio items. If his WISC and WJ Achievement test scores meet the criteria, do you think I needed to send portfolio items in also? I just don't want it to have hurt our chances that I didn't.
Posted By: whattodo? Re: July DYS - 07/29/11 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by 3xmama
I am applying for August, but only sent in test results (and accompanying application with some descriptions of what he's like) and no portfolio items. If his WISC and WJ Achievement test scores meet the criteria, do you think I needed to send portfolio items in also? I just don't want it to have hurt our chances that I didn't.

Hello 3xmama,
I only sent the qualifing test scores and the application. If the test scores meet the criteria you do not need portfolio items.

Good Luck!
Posted By: 3xmama Re: July DYS - 07/29/11 03:24 PM
Thank you, whattodo!
Posted By: Grinity Re: July DYS - 07/29/11 03:54 PM
If his WISC and WJ Achievement test scores meet the criteria, do you think I needed to send portfolio items in also? I just don't want it to have hurt our chances that I didn't.
If the WISC and WJ meet the minimum criteria, you don't need to do a portfolio in most cases. If you are one of the families that needs to make one, they will ask you to do so, but not count it against you that you didn't. So you won't change the odds by not doing the portfolio if you send in WISC and WJ that met criteria.

Hope that helps,
Grinity
Posted By: triplejmom Re: July DYS - 08/02/11 12:20 PM

We are hoping to apply for august(or will it be september when sent in, in august?) as well ( depending on if his old school principal/gifted teacher has a chance to write the recommendation letter with the starting of her school year being busy) and we (after asking around on here) are only sending his WISC IV and WJ scores without a portfolio. Hope to hear your child was accepted 3xmama smile
Posted By: triplejmom Re: July DYS - 08/19/11 05:55 PM
Phew! As of now I finally got everything into DYS! His old principal ( before we moved ) did his reference letter and faxed it but forgot to let me know so now that I know its there, I sent everything else...Now the waiting begins!
Posted By: onthegomom Re: July DYS - 08/19/11 07:05 PM
Did DYS let you know it the reference was there? My DD's teacher said she sent something at end of the year but I have not heard from DYS. I also have not sent in her application, I just need to finish a few details.
Posted By: triplejmom Re: July DYS - 08/19/11 07:30 PM
No...im just assuming they got it because the school said the fax went through. It said when I submitted the application via email that they would let me know if 3-5 days if the application was complete (i think)
Posted By: onthegomom Re: July DYS - 08/19/11 10:44 PM
I just sent an email to DYS and they confirmed they recieved the teacher's reccomend. Ok now I need to get my part done. It's almost been done for 6 months, which is silly, but no urgency.
Posted By: triplejmom Re: July DYS - 08/20/11 12:58 AM
Good luck with getting the rest together onthegomom! It felt good to check one more thing off my list of stuff I had to do today! Best of luck on your DD application! Glad to hear the school did sent the letter!
Posted By: WannaBeGTEduc Re: July DYS - 10/30/11 12:30 AM
We are working on DD6's application now, and I have a few questions. Only a portion of each of her test scores meet the minimum requirement: her WIAT Reading composite (152) and her WISC-IV PRI (145). Has anyone noticed that if only one subtest of each test meets the minimum requirement, they ask for more information or decline the application altogether?

Also, when filling out the application, I am unsure how much detail to include. I have written 1-2 small paragraphs (4-5 sentences each) for each question, but I feel like that isn't enough. I remember reading on this forum that people often have to go to extra pages, so I suspect our current answers are sparse. And I have also read here that people often take months to work on the application, but what we have took a weekend. I worry that I'm not taking it seriously enough. DD6 could really benefit from DYS's consulting since we are already have issues with school.

My current answers each start with a general statement and then follow with one example of her exhibiting that behavior. Should I include more than one example? I am having trouble thinking of more examples; I suspect it's because her abilities are normal to us. I would hate it if my inability to recognize her strengths prevents her from getting the support they can provide.

Thanks for your help!
Posted By: WannaBeGTEduc Re: July DYS - 11/02/11 06:17 PM
Thanks master! Now I have another question. Our psychologist did not create a full report with either test - she just went over it verbally with us and gave us the score sheet. On the DYS site, it asks for a full report or "if not possible, an explanation". Therefore, I asked our psych. to create full reports for us, but she will charge me an extra $100 (per report I think). So I sent a question to DYS asking if saving $200 is a good enough reason not to have the full report. Here was their reply:

"When considering applications, the review committee makes every attempt to get a picture of the whole child, which is why full reports are preferred. Full reports usually include tester observations and provide considerations that scores alone can not convey. While we can not ask you to spend extra money on a testing report, it would be very helpful to have the tester insights included in the application and may be useful information for you as well. If you feel that you can provide sufficient supporting documentation to aid the committee�s decision, then you may apply with the report that you have currently."

I don't know what she means by "sufficient supporting documentation". I just have the completed application and the two score sheets, along with the recommendation of course. Should we just go ahead and pay the $200 even though we already got all the info. verbally from our psych? WWYD? Has anyone else only submitted the score sheets instead of full reports?
Posted By: lightdance Re: July DYS - 11/02/11 10:50 PM
I would pay for it. You might need it somewhere down the road with a change in schooling, and psychologists don't keep their paperwork forever.
Hi all--

New here, and applied to DYS for my 6-1/2 year old daughter. She made the cut with the WJ cognitive, but just missed it with the WJ achievement, so I also submitted a portfolio.

She's been put into the review process for this month (March) and I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes to find out anything.

Much thanks,
Stacey
Good luck!!! Depending on the month it might take 2-4 weeks. This is probably a big month in terms of applicants since it is a deadline of sorts for siblings of current YS.
Thank you, Mam! (Of course, that just makes me think of the Langston Hughes short story! :D)
Good Luck Stacey and welcome
While you wait read through some of the posts here and consider introducing your family (anonymously of course) ...we ve been there and done that!
Smiles
Grinity
My son's scores on WPPSI III
COMPOSITE
Verbal (VIQ)139
Performance (PIQ)152
Full Scale (FSIQ)149

WIAT-II
COMPOSITE
SCORE
Oral Language 125
SUBTESTS
Word Reading 152
Math Reasoning 148
Listening Comprehension 119
Oral Expression 122

I know the WPPSI scores qualify, but do the WIAT II scores? Should I send a portfolio?
I think you would need more information. I looked back and it seems your son is not 5 yet, is that right? I don't know much about the WIAT, but I know that some scores you can't calculate based on the age (too young).

I think you should submit the both sets of scores but also a portfolio.
Yes He's 4 so we will apply when he turns 5. Since the results didn't show exactly the same names as what the requirements said, I wasn't sure, but the only math and reading scores that are there are high. We have LOTS of portfolio things he's done that show him writing or doing math at a 2-3rd grade level so I could send that in if I need to, but if the scores are enough...hooray smile
Yes, I think that the names are different because they require more subtests to get the broad scores. Still send them in, but you will need the portfolio as well. That way you avoid the automatic "need more information". They still might ask for more, but if you give them more from the beginning, it is easier for them to make a decision.
I submitted the applicaion for my DS9. Does anyone happen to know how long the review process is?
You will receive an email at the end of the month. So long as the application and all supporting documents were received by the 1st.
Ok, we will wait anxiously for the following several weeks.
It might take less than that, but better to not expect anything early...

Good luck!
Yay!!! DS12 got in :)-
DS 9 is as well.

I was afraid we wouldn't hear until after the weekend!
Congrats!
Congrats!!! May you have a great experience in the program!
Originally Posted by DanaLyn
DS 9 is as well.

I was afraid we wouldn't hear until after the weekend!

Me too! I was really hoping to not have to wait out the Holiday weekend.

Congratulations to you as well.
Congratulations to you both. DD8 just recently was accepted and it has already been a huge blessing to our family. Enjoy your weekend!!!
Got email on Friday and DS9 is in now!
Originally Posted by Xiangbaobao
Got email on Friday and DS9 is in now!
Congratulations, we just received the acceptance email for DS who recently turned 10.
We received our email today, and DD10 is now a DYS!
My twins received acceptances to DYS!!!!!!
Congrats!
Has anyone had experience applying to DYS a second time as a child gets older? Or, should I just take the hint? (For what it's worth, DD7's general intellectual ability on the Woodcock-Johnson Cog was 152, or 99.9%, and her Broad Reading on the WJIII was, from memory, 145, which put her in the 99.8%.)
Sending hugs your way :-( I don't have experience applying a second time and since DS' scores were significantly above the minimum, I don't know how selective DYS gets beyond the minimum requirements. However, it looks like only your achievement score is borderline. I would have expected DYS to suggest a portfolio in your case. Anyhow, I would encourage you to apply a second time if you get stronger achievement scores or if you think you can put together an impressive portfolio.
Thanks Quantum. I did put together a portfolio but it wasn't enough.
Stacey, if you have new achievement scores with a 145, that might work with the IQ. The scores listed here though are really not at the level DYS advertises to help.

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ut_scores_in_perspective.html#Post134495

There are other programs geared more to this level, so hopefully your school offers one.
Thanks Sharon--

No, that achievement test is the one that was denied by DYS--I was wrong, and her broad reading was lower -- and unfortunately, despite state law and school board policy, there's no gifted program in our small K-8 community school, and our state doesn't have gifted schools for elementary or magnet schools for high school. I'm kind of thinking of moving, wink. But, until then, I've put on my squeaky wheel hat. The school board and the new principal know I'm annoyed.

Thank you again for your kind words, everyone.
Really considering applying to the DYS program for my 7yo son, but not entirely convinced yet...
For those that have kids in the program, what is the biggest difference it has made for you and/or your child?

Also, from reading this thread, it seems that my son might be borderline. His GIA is 154 (VCI 142, PRI 145), but because of his WMI 123 and PSI 88, his FSIQ is 135. Seems iffy to me because these WISC-IV numbers are all we have. However, it does say specifically in the full report that he "sacrificed speed for accuracy", so I know that had a lot to do with the lower PSI.
Anyone have knowledge or experience with a similar situation? Similar numbers?

I know we will have to send in a portfolio if we apply. I suppose I have plenty of stuff with him explaining his lego creations, or sitting in the car seat as a toddler rambling about science, and I have independent notebooks he keeps as well. Not sure if a letter from a previous teacher would help. I think his biggest asset is his creativity, so hopefully I can showcase that in the portfolio.

Anyways, the two questions I'm really hoping to have answered are 1. What has made DYS worth it for you? and 2. Does my boy have a shot at getting in.
Hi, Ephelidasa,
We only applied b/c DD9 was getting kicked out of her private school due to various 2e-related behavior issues and there was not recognition by either teachers or the school psychologist that gifted might be contributing to that. So we applied so that it wasn't just us saying "but she's actually really smart" and also to help her emphasize some of her positive qualities. She also scored low on coding, but she had other subtest scores that qualified her so maybe if you were able to have your DS do some of the other subtests (see the Davidson website) you could use those rather than the portfolio. But of course that can be expensive.
Here there are a few DYS kids in another part of town that we've met but DD hasn't really hit it off with any of them yet (even though they all seem like great kids). So the pluses would be meeting other kids/families, and maybe helping with advocacy in school. But it may not do much good. I think it's a great resource and am very grateful for this board, but to be honest as far as I can tell it hasn't made any difference for us. Our fortunes have risen and fallen with the compatibility with particular teacher(s) or lack thereof. Maybe things will be different in the future. I can say that this board has been tremendously helpful, at least in terms of esprit de corps, so it's great that it's available to everyone.

Good luck to you and your DS, whatever you decide.
After talking to my son's dr., I think we are going to apply for the program. We will bring him for another test (his doc said she could do it in an hour or two, so it doesn't sound too expensive) so we can skip the portfolio hopefully.
The program seems like it could be a good resource, and besides, the doc said she thought it would be a good idea.
DS7 is accepted. smile
DD8 is also accepted. smile
I'd suggest applying before you need the resource. We sat on scores for a couple of years until we were considering a school change and needed advice, then I had to hurry to send the application in and call the family counselor just days after the acceptance. It would have been smarter to do this at leisure. The minimal effort to apply (I just sent in scores and a few sentences for the essays) was well worth it.
Posted By: tg3force Re: simple question about DYS application - 12/03/12 02:08 AM
I am new to this forum. Please help me out. Anyway, I am considering in applying for DYS for my two sons. Does anybody know any inexpensive place for taking the IQ and Achievement test? I homeschooling both my sons and we live here in Northern Virginia. I am thinking of doing the portfolio for my youngest son but I not for my older son so I am thinking of them taking the test instead. Any information you could provide would be extremely helpful. Thank you so much.

Cristina
Posted By: bronalex Re: simple question about DYS application - 12/14/12 03:43 AM
I do live in VA but not NOVA so I can't give you specifics but I did find a local university with a psychological services center that offered low cost testing (it was done by graduate students). Maybe you could find something similar up there? It cost us $250 for a full battery assessment including WISC-IV and WJ-III.
Posted By: yuchi0103 Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/22/13 03:16 PM
I got a question. I just sent application for my 7 years old son but they asking for 4 academic work including Math, Reading, Science & Writing. Dose everyone send those too? Or I can just send a video? Thanks a lot!
Posted By: skyward Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/15/13 12:11 AM
Has anyone thought about whether there is a point where having formal IQ testing might be dis-service to the child? Where if a child’s score is very high you may not want a record of it or it might be more harmful to have that information out in the world than to not have them tested. Has anyone with a PG child chosen not to test? Also with very young children who are very asynchronous could it be a dis-service to test before they even out or present an unrepresentative picture of who they are. We have several PG family members who were fairly odd children. Ha Ha. I have a young 6 year old and we are considering not testing him. We have a DD who is HG/PG and he is considerably more advanced. I am concerned that it would not be beneficial to test him at this point because of extreme asynchrony and general quirkiness. We feel we have learned a-lot of the information that’s out there about how to meet their needs and I am not sure testing him would be very helpful at this point. He is not in school and probably will not be any time in the near future, but I would consider applying for DYS at some point. We think the resources would be helpful at this point in our lives. This site has been extremely helpful to our family over the years. Has anyone ever chosen not to test a child?
Posted By: Jtooit Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/15/13 01:36 AM
I have tested my dc. You pose an interesting question. I really believe some of the danger lies in what you choose to do with information. We don't share the information with people other than by necessity. The school has seen the numbers and Davidson has seen them. Our family has not and will not seen them. My own dc don't know there numbers. I am not a fan of giving attention to my children for something they personally have no control over such as an IQ score. I would never allow media exposure over an IQ score. One of my dc has had very minimal media exposure of winning some different things, but nothing an normal developing child could not win as well.

I was a little concerned about opening Pandora's Box with testing. I am glad we did it and its been very helpful for me to understand them better. If you feel no need to do and feel you have a good grasp on your dc, I can total see not testing as well. I think a lot of us find it very informative. It's certainly not for everyone.
I don't ever understand why someone would not want to know something. It is just information. How you use the information is entirely up to you. I like making informed decisions based on as much information as possible.
Posted By: Willsher21 Re: simple question about DYS application - 09/16/13 05:53 PM
Hello
My 6 year old daughter qualifies (IQ results) for the YSP but I am unsure of what to include in the portfolio of work. She reads 4-5 grade levels above her and her math is also about 3-5 grade levels above her age. She is an avid LEGO builder, can built LEGO for 16 and up; 800- 1000 pieces in few hours and her fascination are airplanes and rockets. Anyone can share their experience submitting the portfolio?

Thanks!
Posted By: KADmom Re: simple question about DYS application - 09/16/13 07:49 PM
Hi, Willsher21,

I didn't submit a portfolio but I've read that parents often use video to demonstrate ability 2 or 3 grades above.
Posted By: Willsher21 Re: simple question about DYS application - 09/16/13 10:05 PM
Hi KADmom!

Thanks for the input! I just want to understand a little bit more about what is it that they are looking for in a portfolio. In the website states that the applicant must submit 4 projects so maybe it is something that they have added recently.
Posted By: ashley Re: simple question about DYS application - 10/10/13 04:31 PM
Does applying and getting accepted to DYS help in any way for a student who is not part of the public school system (hence no need for advocacy)? I am asking because I would like to search for a tester and apply for my DS who is 6. But, I am unable to push myself to do it because so far I have not come up with a good reason to do it (and spend money on the testing) in our case. I am also left with the feeling that I am a slacker mom for not having done it yet. Suppose a kid goes to private school that more or less meets his intellectual needs and he gets afterschool enrichment where those needs are not met, does getting accepted to DYS help in any way? Thanks in advance for your input!
Originally Posted by ashley
Does applying and getting accepted to DYS help in any way for a student who is not part of the public school system (hence no need for advocacy)? I am asking because I would like to search for a tester and apply for my DS who is 6. But, I am unable to push myself to do it because so far I have not come up with a good reason to do it (and spend money on the testing) in our case. I am also left with the feeling that I am a slacker mom for not having done it yet. Suppose a kid goes to private school that more or less meets his intellectual needs and he gets afterschool enrichment where those needs are not met, does getting accepted to DYS help in any way? Thanks in advance for your input!

For my family, the biggest benefits to DS's DYS status are the connections we have made and the information we get from them. If money is an issue, and you can't find low-cost testing through a university or elsewhere, I'm not sure that I would go through the testing. Another benefit are various gatherings where you can meet other families like yours.

Also, you could avoid the cost of testing if you were able to submit qualifying achievement scores plus a portfolio.
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: simple question about DYS application - 10/10/13 05:29 PM

Can you afford a long weekend in Reno once a year? So far, the annual Summit has been the most valuable thing we have gotten out of DITD, with local gatherings being second mostly because they aren't frequent enough to bump them into first. We did get good advice on advocacy from them, but I think just being able to be with "our people" has been the biggest advantage.
Posted By: polarbear Re: simple question about DYS application - 10/10/13 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by master of none
This list is not to encourage or discourage testing. When my dd was 6, I felt the same way. Testing will not make a difference in her education so why do it. It wasn't til she was 8. We had her 2E brother tested and were surprised by how much information we had. Hemmed and hawed,and finally got dd tested. It more put a stamp on what we knew rather than offering lots of info, but was worth it's price when it came to advocacy.

I just wanted to second mon's experience with testing. We had never considered testing for our children outside of what was required to get into our school district's gifted programs, then we ran head-on into a 2e wall for my ds in 2nd grade, and once we'd had that full suite of testing (with a tester who explained how the tests inter-related etc), it was such an amazing wealth of info for me as a parent. Whether or not it yields scores at DYS levels, it reveals a lot of info re how your child learns, where relative strengths and weaknesses are etc. It's also been a crucial piece of data for us in advocating for gifted services and accelerated coursework at school.

polarbear
Posted By: ashley Re: simple question about DYS application - 10/10/13 06:59 PM
Thank you polarbear, MON, Elizabeth and st pauli girl. I should have been more clear in my earlier post - DS goes to a good private school which is very rigorous academically for 1st grade and he gets pull outs to attend LA, Math and Computer programming with 2nd grade. We opted against grade skipping for now. The school is open to discussion on DS's needs and they also have opportunities like science fair, math contests, essay and spelling contests etc where DS can participate inhouse, I think (we are new to this school).
I have an old WPPSI score for DS with FSIQ in the 140s from 2 years ago. It is not a detailed report. We afterschool DS in math and science and he attends enrichment classes and clubs outside of school too.
Money is not the main issue in not getting DS tested - justifying to myself the pricetag of $3500-$4000 for it when there is no pressing need is the issue (these are typical Silicon Valley prices for testing). I plan to call Stanford university which is local to us and see if their testing is any lower in cost.
We don't live too far from the Tahoe/Reno area, so stopping by at Reno once a year for a summit is not a problem.
We have not even thought of college plans yet. But I can see how DYS connections can help in that area. And we already accelerate DS afterschool to meet his needs - detailed testing might give us a better idea on how to handle the acceleration.
And I am sure that my son will enjoy spending time with "his kind of people". So, yeah, I will start being an un-slacker about this.
Thanks for your help!
Posted By: polarbear Re: simple question about DYS application - 10/10/13 07:04 PM
Ashley, I'm actually a bit of a slacker-personality myself smile Honestly, from what you've posted in your reply I'm not sure I'd be in a hurry to test or to apply for DYS - it sounds like things are going really well for your ds smile The time when test data has been most helpful for us was when our children *weren't* getting appropriately challenged at school and the school was putting up barriers. In your situation, I'd seriously consider waiting a few years to test - because your ds is still 6 (I think? - my apologies if I got that wrong!)... anyway, the reason I'd consider waiting is that there may be a perception that test scores are more reliable at 7-8 years old. Whether or not *you* believe that, we've found in advocating that other people will question early test scores.

Best wishes,

polarbear
Posted By: ashley Re: simple question about DYS application - 10/10/13 07:11 PM
Thanks for your reply polarbear. We spent a bad year for DS in public K where we encountered poor "customer service" to put it mildly and recently moved him to a private school for 1st grade (yes, he is 6 years old). So far, we have had no complaints but we are only 6 weeks into it. We will see.
I too believe that 7-8 years might be a better age for testing - largely because the child might be more mature and more in control of their impulses.
I will also try to find the local DYS groups and see what kind of summits, meetings and events they have locally.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: simple question about DYS application - 10/10/13 07:11 PM

We did it for the potential of finding intellectual peers for our DD more than anything else. I want her to know that there are other geeks and kids that look beyond the surface layers/think beyond the first move out there.
Posted By: ashley Re: simple question about DYS application - 10/11/13 09:32 PM
Thank you, madeinuk. So far we have been finding intellectual peers for my DS in the friend circle as well as by attending enrichment clubs where there are kids at his level. So, when you say that you applied to DYS for the potential of finding intellectual peers, what do you mean by that? Do you get invitations to join a regional meet where all the DYS kids attend some activity together? Or do you initiate invitations to those kids to form groups for things like Destination Imagination and Science Fairs? Or do you just set up playdates for your child with these peers? Or do they all interact online?
I am trying to understand exactly what everyone means by "finding intellectual peers" on this forum.
At the most basic level "intellectual peer" would be in contrast to "age peer." It represents the complexity of language, ideas, interests over the coincidence of birthdays.

Some gifted kids will fit in fine and adapt with their age peers doing many things. Others are really caught up in their world of ideas and the way they think about them, they may not be able to dial it back and will tend to gravitate to adults and much older kids.

A six year old who says things like: "I am fascinated by the implications of mixing liquids of various PH levels; so, let us sneak into the back of the cafeteria and borrow some." might not get the most receptive of audiences on the playground to their ideas or conversation. So here, the asynchronous nature of gifted has a mix of a certain interest above age level and the common sense of a six year old. This kid might find an eight or nine year old who is interested in their idea, but could also be mocked for the bad plan.

Not sure if that clarifies it enough, but that's the basic concept in my mind.

Posted By: ElizabethN Re: simple question about DYS application - 10/11/13 10:38 PM
There are regional meet-and-greet type events, if you are lucky enough to live close to an area with a great enough density of Young Scholars to attend one. Our next one is a couple hours gaming session at the library. If you meet someone that you "click" with through these, then presumably you could meet up for playdates with some of the connections you made there. The tools are there for online interaction between kids (the elists), but it doesn't seem to be really popular.

Zen Scanner gives some good examples of why asynchronous kids may not fit in well with their age peers. As another example, DD8 wanted to "play goddesses" with her friends, and assign everyone roles as Greek goddesses, but everyone else did not necessarily have encyclopedic knowledge of them all, especially some of the lesser goddesses. Girls who were old enough to have read all the Percy Jackson books (her initial source of this knowledge) were not necessarily interested in pretend play any more. Peers who are both the same age and the same intellectual level were a better fit.
Posted By: Percy Re: simple question about DYS application - 10/12/13 12:36 AM
I agree about the peer group - we do our local group activities and also attend the Summit. The Summit has educational and social opportunities for both parents and children. My DS goes to a HG school but he is still a bit of an outlier there so it is nice to have DYS for that. I have not really used an advocate but have scoured the online resources for school/parenting/social emotional development and 2e issues.

ElizabethN - check out his link - my DS did this daycamp this past summer and there are lots of kids that like to play god/goddess there.

http://bookpeoplecamphalfblood.wordpress.com/

I know they had something in Vancouver/BC last year but don't know much about it. http://imaginestem.org/Campdemigod/...d-vancouver-bcpoint-roberts-wa-branch-3/
Forgive my naive question... My son is in 8th grade. Is it still beneficial for him to become a DYS scholar at this point? Also, does everyone who meet the criteria get in, or is it just a minimum requirement for applying? I'm sure these questions have probably been asked many times before, but hope someone will let me know... Thanks.
Originally Posted by playandlearn
Forgive my naive question... My son is in 8th grade. Is it still beneficial for him to become a DYS scholar at this point? .

There are several programs just for that age range, to age 18, so it would be worth looking at whether they would be useful for him.
Thanks indigo and connectingdots. The main purpose would be to find a peer group, to get advice on navigating high school and to find more summer programs... I will definitely read about the programs carefully.
Posted By: gabalyn Re: simple question about DYS application - 11/14/13 06:35 PM
Playandlearn, I would say "yes" and "pretty much." I have learned tons from other DYS parents about issues related to high school and college, and there have been plenty of older kids at the gatherings I have been to. As for the 2nd question, if you spend time looking back at the posts on this board, you will see that kids who meet the minimum requirements on both IQ and achievement do tend to get in, as long as the letter and other info in the application don't raise any red flags.
Posted By: kmbunday Re: simple question about DYS application - 01/17/14 12:34 AM
We had good experiences for our oldest son when he was in the Davidson Young Scholars program, and he still keeps up with young people he met in the program now that they are all aged out. As a parent, I cherish the parent community I met through the program. We may be applying for a younger sibling of our YS alumnus in a while, and we will be glad to be back on board if he gets on board.
Posted By: Aqx3 Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/06/14 10:08 PM
I'm looking at applying for DD9, and will be using her ACT Explore scores and a portfolio. My question is about the portfolio pieces - do they want to see .pdfs of her actual work or would something like a STAR Reading Diagnostic Report showing her reading at a post-high school level be a good piece to include?
I am also considering applying for DD10 with EXPLORE scores and a portfolio. She is strongest in reading and science. Where can I find worksheets that show above grade level? It is hard for me to understand what is above grade level and what is not. Any sites people like to print things from?
Posted By: madeinuk Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/06/14 10:36 PM
We have only been to one relatively local event and it was good to see the kids connecting and also to meet parents who have been through or are going through similar experiences.

I exaggerate for effect here but walking into a room full of DYS folks felt a bit like how you would imagine people (humans) would feel in a post apocalypse zombie world when they find a sanctuary full of other humans LOL

Don't be intimidated by the entrance requirements I think anyone that can jump the bar is in barring red flags.

We are looking forward to leveraging the summit when our DD gets a bit older ourselves as the importance of finding fellow chrysalids will undoubtably increase as she gets into her teens.
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/26/14 08:13 PM
You are freaking out unnecessarily.
Posted By: DrummerLiz Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/28/14 01:59 AM
Thanks ElizabethN! I am becoming more appreciative of this online forum!
Posted By: JulieV Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/02/14 05:36 PM
To those who have applied, should one expect to hear something back before the last day of the month? I submitted my son's application on 3/31 and I'm antsy! Thanks!
Julie
Posted By: DrummerLiz Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/03/14 03:28 AM
JulieV we are wondering the same thing! Very antsy here too! smile
Posted By: Cocopandan Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/03/14 04:41 AM
As they say in their website, applications are reviewed monthly. All the applications that are sent between March 2 - April 1 are currently being reviewed and notifications will be sent at the end of April.
Posted By: JulieV Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/03/14 10:46 AM
DS8 is in second grade in a very academically rigorous private school. He tested with a GAI of 148 but a FSIQ of 132 due to a PSI of 97 as compared to VCI of 136 and PRI of 143.

I've been considering applying for DYS but feel his scores might be borderline and haven't invested in more testing.

DS8 has recently become enthralled with video games (minecraft) and watching videos about these video games. As a result, it is hard for him to focus on school work or anything else.

His opinion of school varies. He enjoys the social aspect but finds writing and sitting still tedious. He often complains of homework (though they really don't get as much as public schools) and of getting in trouble in class. He has adopted a 'class clown' persona as of late and he responds to anything uncomfortable by trying to joke his way out. (It's driving me mad...)

I've been meaning to perhaps send in a portfolio, but I'm not sure what 2-3 grades above grade level actually mean? For his school, a 2nd grader is doing multiplication and division and reading Harry Potter books. I can't imagine what 4th graders are doing!

Is there a place where I would be able to see a guide of what 'grade level' actually means for each grade?

I sense that this 'class clown' persona might have to do with anxiety from social interactions or from getting 'in trouble' in class. His teacher has also been on him about messy work and bad grammar / handwriting, though I turned in a report at the beginning of the school year where it stated that this was an ongoing problem of kids with significant differences between their PSI and PRI/VCI scores. Teacher's response was "well, he still has to write". (specially tough as they are doing cursive work...)

How do I approach this?

Thanks.
To figure out what the typical 4th grade would be doing I would check out the districts website for the fourth grade curriculum. Or check out the website of a 4th grade teacher at another school in your area and see what they have posted. It may surprise you what is considered 4th grade at a "regular" school.

Good luck
Posted By: JAH823 Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/17/14 03:43 PM
We are considering applying to DYS for our 2E DS9. We would use his Explore results, which are well above the thresh hold used by for DYS. (composite was 20, math was 25) He has been tested by a Psychologist for ADHD, that test was more for diagnostic purposes, and may not accurately reflect his potential....if we do not use this doctor's testing as part of the application process, may we use this person as the nominator? She has been seeing our son professionally and would be the most qualified to address his qualifications...any thoughts? BTW, new member to the forums...great stuff!
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/20/14 03:59 PM
So grateful for this forum and all of you here. Bit the bullet after reading posts here and had DD8 take the EXPLORE (results previous thread). Then, we bit the bullet and did the WISC, with a tester very experienced with gifted children and testing, who used extended norms. So glad that we did. FSIQ DYS-level and GAI (higher) (told this was the better measure for DD). Please cross your fingers for us as I try to complete our application. I am feeling inadequate while filling it out - if DD doesn't make it, I'll feel like it was my fault!
Posted By: indigo Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/20/14 05:54 PM
How does one "finish" the WISC with a different tester?
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/20/14 06:33 PM
Indigo, DD previously had an abbreviated test for school's program. These brief results gave DYS-level scores, but no extended norms are available for this brief test (and it would appear DD hit a couple of ceilings). I'm not the professional, but from what I understand, when a full test is later performed, all subtests can be administered (so "finishing" it is actually a bit of a misnomer, but is just how I'd been thinking about it), substitution of subtests is considered to avoid any "practice effects," to achieve a full WISC. There is actually a bulletin out that describes the procedure.
Posted By: indigo Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/20/14 08:12 PM
Loy58, Would you point me to the bulletin you are referring to?
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/20/14 08:34 PM
Indigo, I'll pm you.
Posted By: DrummerLiz Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/27/14 10:36 PM
Hooray, our son was just accepted as a DYS! We are excited but have no idea how to explain this to our DS6. Any advice would be great!
Posted By: indigo Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/27/14 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by DrummerLiz
Hooray, our son was just accepted as a DYS! We are excited but have no idea how to explain this to our DS6. Any advice would be great!
Might want to mention that there may be opportunities to meet other kids with a similar intellectual profile, and that there may be lots of information for you as parents to learn to help the school keep up with him so he can learn something new every day. This might be a good time to talk with him about being a good partner with you to keep you updated about how things are going at school, just setting aside some time to talk about his day.
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/27/14 11:18 PM
Congratulations to you and your DS!!! smile
Posted By: DrummerLiz Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/28/14 02:15 PM
Indigo, thanks again! You have so many great insights! And thanks Loy! It's just starting to get interesting...
I am new to this forum. For the past few days, I spent hours here reading past posts, gained a lot knowledge. Thank you!

I've posted a question regarding DYS application criteria in a separate post, but guess might get more inputs here... (so sorry if you read this same question twice blush)

My DS6 was tested this month with complete WISC-IV but only 3 subtests of WJ-III (Passage Comprehension, Applied Problems, and Writing Samples). He is current enrolled in our public school half day K program. The school principle made an exception to allow early testing. (Usually, it won't happen until after group screening at the end of 1st grade) His WISC score is good fit for DYS. His "Applied Problems" -- one subtest in the Math section was 163 (>99.9th). Will this one subtest score good enough for applying DYS? I doubt the school district would do "extra" (complete WJ-III testing) at this point. DS is interested in Physics, Chemistry as well as Math. He learned Algebra, Geometry before turning 6 and is pushing to learn Calculus (which I can't help him anymore... cry) Can a portfolio (showing him doing some of the algebra or geometry problems) plus the "Applied Problems" score be "good enough" for DYS application? Suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Posted By: indigo Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/28/14 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Love2Dolphins
Can a portfolio (showing him doing some of the algebra or geometry problems) plus the "Applied Problems" score be "good enough" for DYS application? Suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Some may say that depends on how he comes across on the video? For example some parents have posted videos of kids on YouTube which seem heavily coached or guided, even following prompts from parents during the video. This may come across as hothousing by a tiger parent and/or exhibiting a fixed mindset and fear of making a mistake. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Val Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/28/14 04:53 PM
The website says this about IQ scores:

Originally Posted by YS qualification criteria
WISC_IV: Standard score 145+ (99.9th percentile) on at least one of the following sections: Verbal Comprehension, Perceptual Reasoning, General Ability Index (GAI), or Full Scale

Portfolio: They're looking for evidence of his ability to work two or more years ahead of what would be expected for his age. My impression is that handwritten materials are a priority for them (as noted in their directions here). Scanned handwritten math work that's at least 2-3 years beyond what would be expected of a typical child his age would presumably be what they're looking for.

Originally Posted by YS qualifcation criteria
A portfolio consists of at least four academic work samples that clearly demonstrate the applicant’s advanced abilities in academic areas of strength including math, writing, reading, science, or social studies. Please submit independent work that is completed without the assistance of teachers or parents. The Review Committee prefers handwritten examples as they allow them to better gauge ability and independence. Typed work with grades and teacher comments can be included as scanned PDF files. Work must be at least 2-3 grade levels above age peers to qualify for the Young Scholars Program.
Hi indigo, thank you for your input. You are absolutely right about this issue. It would be tough for others to distinguish "self-driven, self-taught" vs. "Hothoused". I wish his WJ-III one subtest score would be considered along side with whatever I can come up in his portfolio. We were told by school psychologist that DS was doing "high school level Math" during the WJ-III "Applied problems". Maybe, or just maybe I can squeeze the request for "further complete WJ-III test" at next week's meeting with school officials... whistle ?
Posted By: indigo Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/28/14 05:38 PM
Sorry! I was only addressing the idea of the level of confidence/autonomy a child might present in a video demonstrating a skill. Val is right with the DYS qualifications for test scores. Additionally, if opting to present a portfolio, based on the link Val provided, it looks like it would be beneficial for your child to demonstrate skills in several areas? Just my 2 cents.
Val, Thank you for your links and detailed explanation! smile

It shall be fairly easy for me to dig out some of DS' works (on paper). But just like Indigo mentioned in the previous post... it might be difficult to tell how DS reached to that point just "on paper". Has anyone here heard of "success story" for DYS applicants with Valid full IQ score + achievement "One Subtest" score + Portfolio. If the school refuses our request for "complete WJ-III achievement testing" (their reason would be valid since DS was just screened for school's GT program), we might have to get private achievement testing done on this little guy crazy
Originally Posted by indigo
Sorry! I was only addressing the idea of the video of doing math. Val is right with the DYS qualifications for test scores. Based on the link Val provided, it looks like it would be beneficial for your child to demonstrate skills in several areas? Just my 2 cents.

Oh! No need to say Sorry! Your input is greatly appreciated because I often times think about the same issue. DS is clearly a conceptual learner, he gets concepts quickly and then "guesses" what the next steps/concepts. He can't take repetition... grin I don't have workbooks or even textbooks for him at this point. I do know some kids that were "Kumoned", they can do above grade level Math/Reading too. In a K classroom, the teacher still can tell them apart though wink
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/28/14 07:35 PM
Hi Love2Dolphins! smile I just went through this with "school results," although different tests. If your DS's school would be willing to complete the rest of the subtests to enable them to calculate a "Broad Reading," "Broad Math, a "Broad Written Language," and a "Total Achievement" - that might be the quickest way to get what your DS needs. It would appear that your DS's school performed one of each of the subtests (I believe there are usually 3 needed for each broad score, as my DS5 took the WJ III Ach.) needed to calculate "broad scores" for the WJ-III Ach. Of course, many successful applicants have completed portfolios for their DC, so if you feel like you have the work samples, that could work, too! Best wishes to you and your DS!!!
Hi Loy58, Thank you so much for your input. I agree with you, getting rest of the subtests done (by the school) would be the best solution. We will bring it up at our next meeting with school officials next week.

I wonder if it is "standard procedure" to only administrate few achievement subtests in public schools. I understand that "high Ability" doesn't necessary warrant "high achievement", especially at K level (lack of exposure to certain materials, etc.)

Thank you again! Loy58. Best luck to you and your DS! smile
Posted By: indigo Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/29/14 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Love2Dolphins
... at K level (lack of exposure to certain materials, etc.)
You mentioned your child doing algebra/geometry... which has not been taught in kindergarten. Gifted kids often push for "more" in areas of interest, and parents scramble to keep up with them.

... only administrate few achievement subtests in public schools
Schools may test relative to criteria they deem important for their own gifted programs/services. This may differ considerably from other/outside programs/services. For example, DYS describes a minimum of 99.9th percentile... the extreme outliers.
Hi Indigo, thank you for your reply.

Yes! As parents, my DH and I often feel been "pulled" forward by this little fellow. He would beg for more or "big kid/grown up" version of something. We are trying our best to suit his needs.

I volunteers routinely at DS' K class, witnessing the growth of bunch of 5/6 years. Often, I got surprised at the fact that some kids seemed not to know the basic knowledge of something. I wonder probably those kids were not exposed to those knowledge at all at home. (for example: the planets in the solar system, etc.)

We would try to ask School to complete the WJ-III test for DS, but not really optimistic. Just like you mentioned, school already did their part to identify DS for their own GT program. There is no need for them to do extra for us at this point.
Posted By: Sweetie Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/30/14 08:00 PM
Our school did testing for Gifted for both my boys. I was not thrilled with the scope of the school systems testing even though they both qualified for gifted.

So I went to the university psychology clinic where they are training grad students. Both of my children ended up being tested by the same grad student about a year apart and she and her supervising professor are doing research in giftedness (just a coincidence that we drew her both times). The clinic does testing on a sliding scale and then even took off more money for my youngest because we did extra scales and forms and answered extra questions on him for a bit of research on giftedness. I could only guess which forms/scales were standard and which were extra for the research but I have a good idea. That study was over by the time we got to my older son the next year (and he was one year too old for the scope of the study anyway).

If you only need a WJ-III completed I would call the university and see if you can get a grad student to do it. The three subtests already given can't be given again so I am not sure if they can just complete the rest of the subtests or if they would need to pick a different achievement test altogether...make sure you give them the list of acceptable achievement tests.
Hi Sweetie, that was surely very sweet of you answering my post in such detail! Thank you for your suggestions. smile

Yes. We can only expect "that much" from public school system. My DS was pulled out from his regular half day K class for the testing couple of days in a row. The school psychologist seems to be very busy (rotating her visits in several elementary schools in our district). We really don't think the school would agree to do "more testing" on our little guy. Like you suggested, we might need to find other party (University Grad student? Private psychologist?) to do the complete testing, either finish the WJ-III or switch to another valid test...
Hi! Just a quick update on "completing WJ-III testing" for my DS6. We are fortunate to have a very cooperative school district. The school psychologist administrated the Broad Math subtests on Wednesday. We received the updated report the same day afternoon. We are so grateful. Also, the school will have district's Math specialist to have "grade level Math testing" done with DS soon to identify gaps/holes in his knowledge. He did well on the WJ-III Broad Math tests with overall score at 184. We'll get the ball rolling for DYS' application! Thanks again for all the discussion and suggestion.

Sorry that I have more questions about the application:
1). Is there any "word limit" when answering the questions on the application form?
2). About the "developmental milestones of the child": does that only apply to DS' first two years? (for example: talk, walk, learned ABC/123?) Otherwise, it can get really long...
3). "In what areas does your child exhibit prodigious intellectual ability?" Do you recommend me to include "proofs" to support my claims, for example: recording of his piano play; his sample Math work, Physics understanding/conceptual reasoning, etc. again, that really can get very long...

Thank you all in advance!
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/09/14 04:33 AM
If you are submitting test scores for both parts, you can be pretty brief on the written application and you will be fine. If you are submitting a portfolio, you will need more details.
Thank you! ElizabethN. I'll submit both tests' results for DS. Looks like I don't need to write too much in the application. laugh
Posted By: Speechie Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/20/14 03:43 PM
popping on this thread for some support!

My 6 yo son has just completed some testing and his GAI on the WISC was 146. We havent done complete academic achievement testing, so I am submitting a portfolio.

I have 5th grade reading comprehension worksheets, math sheets I can download as PDFs to give examples of his work. Hoping that is what they are looking for?

I do have a good list of his developmental milestones etc.

And now I am facing trying to choose a nominator- wrote on that thread too.

Hoping he gets in as we are very rural and our school is actually open to working with/collaborating with DYS!
It is a K-8 school with maybe 550 students total. The principal is interested in helping us, so fingers crossed he gets in!
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/26/14 05:20 PM
Would like to wish all the recent applicants success in getting into DYS!!

I submitted my DD6 last week. Although her IQ scores qualify in PRI, FSIQ and GAI, she only made the achievement criteria in total achievement, barely missing in math.
I did not submit a portfolio and am nervous. She hasn't been enriched too much at home and I have been feeling guilty about that ever since we got her iq scores in February.

It's going to be a long wait! Good luck everyone!

Posted By: KTPie Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/26/14 06:12 PM
Good luck, slammie! I'm probably going to miss this month frown. We get our report this week so we are cutting it close to deadline.
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/26/14 07:04 PM
Yes we did too, so we are in the June pool. Btw, did you get a application complete email from them? I received the application received, the 2 emails regarding the parent forms and the last one regarding the nomination, but not the application completed one.

Keeping my fingers crossed for your family!

ETA: misread your post. Good luck with the forthcoming report! I know how hard it is to wait for the achievement scores.
Posted By: KTPie Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/26/14 11:59 PM
Thanks, Slammie. I've filled out as much online as I can. Hoping I get the snail mail hard copy of the eval before the 1st so we can be in the June pool as well!
Posted By: cammom Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/27/14 12:55 AM
We're in the May application pool, and I'm hoping to hear by the end of the week. Good luck to all of the applicants!
Posted By: Speechie Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/27/14 05:23 PM
Good luck to everyone!!
I've still not finished the application yet.
Hoping to have it done by next week, and in for the July pool smile
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/27/14 09:16 PM
DD8 is a DYS!!! smile

Good luck, everyone!!!
Posted By: SouthLake Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/28/14 01:00 PM
Congratulations!
Posted By: DrummerLiz Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/28/14 01:33 PM
Congratulations!
Posted By: Minx Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/28/14 05:28 PM
DS8 is a DYS! :-) Good luck!!
Posted By: 1frugalmom Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/28/14 05:54 PM
Congrats Loy58!!!!!
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/28/14 06:22 PM
Loy58, Minx, congratulations!!!! laugh

Cammon, good luck with your application!!

Posted By: KTPie Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/28/14 07:16 PM
Congrats!! I received our eval today, earlier than expected, so I can get the application in before the first! smile
Posted By: cammom Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/28/14 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by slammie
Loy58, Minx, congratulations!!!! laugh

Cammon, good luck with your application!!

Thank you. We got the good news yesterday. DS is a Davidson Young Scholar:)
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/28/14 11:59 PM
Congrats Minx and cammom!!!

Thanks for the kind wishes!

Best of luck to all who have applications pending...waiting is possibly the hardest part. wink
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/29/14 03:21 AM
oh great news cammom! Congrats! smile

BTW, did all of you submit scanned signed reports? In my haste I uploaded the unsigned ones that were sent to me by the psychologist frown

I sent them an email asking how to send the scanned signed ones and haven't heard back yet.
Posted By: Speechie Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/29/14 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by Loy58
Best of luck to all who have applications pending...waiting is possibly the hardest part. wink

smile I'm finding completing the application and feeling confident about how much to write is hard!! I'm second guessing what to say, if my examples are good enough...ugh. I'm sure waiting will be tough too, but right now I need a kick in the pants to get it done and send it already!! wink

congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those pending!!!
Posted By: cammom Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/29/14 01:52 PM
Waiting was tough...!

I think there is a lot of waiting in this process. Waiting for IQ scores, waiting for achievement test scores....it's hard on a parent!

Good luck to your DC Speechie.
Posted By: KTPie Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/31/14 03:26 PM
Yay! Got my app in under the wire smile Are there any other programs that folks have found to be helpful? PG Retreats? Mensa?
Posted By: Minx Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/01/14 05:13 PM
Thanks all, and yes, slammie, I submitted scanned, signed reports. Our application wasn't considered complete until after May 1st as the nominator hadn't finished her bit but we were still considered in May.
Posted By: KTPie Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/05/14 05:25 PM
Slammie, did you get an email about your app being complete? I got ours in by the 1st but then today we got an email saying that the application is considered complete and reviews will happen on the first of the month. Does that mean NEXT month?
Posted By: SouthLake Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/06/14 01:00 AM
KTPie, same boat here. Not sure what to think because I am 100 percent certain everything was in a few days before the deadline . I don't remember this happening with DS's app last year. Maybe they have a cap of the maximum number of candidates they will consider per month thus deferring us to the following month?
Posted By: madeinuk Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/06/14 01:13 AM
KTPie,

The same thing happened to us with our DD's application. It all worked out in the end. I think if you have qualifying scores in achievement and IQ you shouldn't worry because it will all work out, just a month later than expected.
Posted By: KTPie Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/06/14 12:17 PM
Thank you all!
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/27/14 07:22 PM
KTPie, sorry for the delay in responding; did you find out whether you made it in this month's group? I didn't get an application complete email for several days after the initial submission.
Minx - thanks for your response. I did resend the email asking if they needed it and I just got a response that our application was received and to expect an answer by the end of the month.
Hoping all of you get good news in the next few days!
Posted By: KTPie Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/27/14 07:27 PM
Slammie,
I actually emailed them to see, out of curiosity. They said that they have been crazy busy with summer and those emails were sent out later than they normally send them and that my son is still in this month's pool. Hoping to hear soon smile
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/27/14 07:32 PM
oh that's great news! Hang in there smile
Posted By: KTPie Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/27/14 08:16 PM
You too smile
Posted By: KTPie Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/27/14 10:58 PM
DS6 is a DYS smile
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/27/14 11:10 PM
Congratulations! Sorry you missed this year's Summit, but they haven't opened the seminar registrations yet, so hopefully you'll be able to get in on that.
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/27/14 11:12 PM
Congratulations!!!!!! smile
Posted By: SouthLake Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/27/14 11:28 PM
Slammie, we also got an email after the deadline saying the app was now complete but just now got the email saying DD is accepted to DYS. Apparently they accepted the math scores we had as "broad math" even though the language didn't match up completely. We did not do the portfolio route.
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/27/14 11:32 PM
Fantastic news Southlake!! Congratulations!!

I haven't heard yet. I am still concerned that my question was not addressed regarding the signed reports. It was so strange!
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/28/14 12:31 AM
Congratulations KTPie and Southlake!!! smile
Posted By: KTPie Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/28/14 01:43 AM
Thank you! Fingers crossed, Slammie!
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/28/14 04:06 PM
Thanks KTPie!
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/28/14 05:38 PM
Hi Slammie - I'm don't think I saw the original question about the signed reports, so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding something, but we just submitted what the tester gave us (which I think had a typed signature - nothing "original looking"), and it was fine. I think this is a busy month at Davidson, and they may just be completing their application review more slowly than in other months. I know waiting is hard! Best of luck to you!
Posted By: OrlFamily Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/28/14 07:15 PM
Congrats to all of your children!

Slammie my son is also in this months pool - our report did not have an official signature on it either. I sent what we were given. Fingers crossed that is enough!
Posted By: SouthLake Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/28/14 08:58 PM
Good luck to you both, Slammie and OrlFamily. I think with my son's app last year we didn't get the email until a few days into the next month (meaning July for this go around) so just hang in there a bit longer and I'm sure you will have good news!
Posted By: OrlFamily Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/29/14 02:09 AM
Whoops - I meant we are in the July pool smile. Just turned our application in!
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/29/14 07:08 PM
Loy58, Southlake, thank you for the info - it's so helpful to hear from other families who have gone through the application process.
OrlFamily, good luck to you too!!
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/30/14 04:51 PM
Finally heard from Davidson today and DD has been accepted!!
I'm looking forward to connecting with you and your families smile
Best wishes to those still waiting!
Posted By: SouthLake Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/30/14 04:54 PM
Congratulations, Slammie! That's fantastic!
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/30/14 05:31 PM
Congratulations, Slammie!
Posted By: KTPie Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/30/14 05:41 PM
Yay!!!! Congrats!
Posted By: BenjaminL Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/30/14 05:51 PM
Out of curiosity, back on the original topic of this thread, once accepted what parts of the program did folks find useful?
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/30/14 06:14 PM
I would say that the most useful parts for us have been the Summit, the summer camp, and to some extent the elists. But we haven't taken the initiative to make extensive use of the consultants. I also expect that the balance of usefulness will shift as DD10 gets older.
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/30/14 07:14 PM
Thank you Southlake, Loy58 and KTPie,!

I'm hoping that DYS will help advocate for DD as she will not be grade skipped next school year. We will see how the year goes and how will the school will be able to subject accelerate.

I am very much looking forward to the prospect of DD meeting other children at her cognitive AND chronological age and of course connecting with their families.
I'm a bit confused because I applied to the young scholars program on my son's behalf and received confirmation June 30th that all materials had been received. (Including the nominator form) I thought we were good for the 1st of July but I just received another email saying the application is now complete and will be submitted for review on the 1st. Does that mean I was pushed out a month because of some sort of processing delay?

Thx
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/07/14 08:04 PM
No, it takes a month after your application is complete. So if you got everything in by June 30, then you will hear at the end of July, not the 1st. They do need time to review everything. smile
Posted By: SouthLake Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/07/14 08:10 PM
Brandijocelyn, same thing happened to me this most recent go around but we were not delayed by a month. You should hear by end of July (I was worried it would add a month but it didn't). No worries!
Oh good. The waiting is hard so I was hoping it would not drag on another month. Thank you. smile
Posted By: KTPie Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/08/14 02:37 AM
I got that late e-mail as well and was not delayed a month. Good luck!
Posted By: OrlFamily Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/08/14 03:14 AM
We're in the same pool. Good luck! Waiting is so nerve wracking!
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/08/14 03:55 AM
Hope you get good news brandi and orlFamily!
Posted By: sabina Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/28/14 10:13 PM
hi all,
is anyone else still waiting to hear back from July? I applied mid June so the wait has felt so long, even though I know I'm still within the window. Crossing fingers that we hear back soon!
I'm still waiting. Glad to hear I am not the only one. Hoping some news comes today!
Posted By: sabina Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/30/14 05:00 PM
me too, keeping fingers crossed!
Posted By: OrlFamily Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/30/14 05:41 PM
Just got the email. DS7 is a DYS!
Posted By: OrlFamily Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/30/14 05:42 PM
Good luck you two!!
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/30/14 06:25 PM
Congratulations, OrlFamily!!! Best of luck to those waiting!!!
Posted By: JAH823 Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/30/14 06:44 PM
Just got the news...DS 10 is a DYS. Congrats to all of the others in this month's pool of applicants!
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/30/14 06:54 PM
Congratulations, JAH823!!! Hooray!!!
Well, I'm bummed because they are requesting more information from me. My son scored in the high 150s on the WISC and I submitted videos of him independently reading books and using our computer at 2 years old. I'm kind of surprised that isn't enough. Maybe it's because portfolio samples are not recent enough. Now I have to pay for an achievement test. Oh well. I think it is worth it so we will do it.
Posted By: OrlFamily Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/30/14 07:13 PM
Brandijocelyn could you just submit a more recent portfolio? We didn't have achievement tests so we did videos/worksheets in addition to WISC.
Posted By: JAH823 Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/30/14 09:06 PM
Brandijocelyn...perseverance. You will get through. Perhaps additional portfolio information
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/30/14 09:17 PM
brandijocelyn, is your DS 6-years-old? I think with the achievement portion, they want to see something recent (the criteria mention 2 years, but I wonder with our younger kids if they might not even want more recent?) that demonstrates that they are 2-3 years ahead achievement-wise.

Others here might be better experts on portfolios, but the portfolio option seemed tricky to us. DD9 DYS took the EXPLORE and DS6 is scheduled for achievement testing to go along with his WISC scores. I simply don't feel talented enough to put together a "good enough" portfolio. wink

Don't give up - whether you decide to go with another portfolio or achievement testing, if you look at old threads (or even way back in this one), it isn't uncommon to be asked for "more information" and later be accepted. Best wishes to you and your DS!!!
Yes I think they want something more recent but I don't have anything good to show them. My son is 6 and had a really negative experience in preschool that sent him underground with his abilities. We have not seen the same kind of open joy for learning since. He has become secretive and has anxiety about making mistakes so he is very hesitant to show what he can do. He also struggles with some speech issues so it can be hard for him to communicate. I'm hoping a new school and speech therapy will help him overcome these things over the next year. I scheduled the achievement test with the same woman we used for the IQ testing since she seemed to be able to get my son out of his shell a bit. Hoping for good results. I'm going to just keep trying. It should be less stressful with the achievement test option since it is a more objective measure. Thanks for the encouragement. smile
Posted By: ashley Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/30/14 11:39 PM
brandijocelyn, in the past, people have submitted dated worksheets that show abilities 2+ years above the norm in math, science etc to demonstrate achievement. Maybe your son would be willing to give that a try?
I'm kind of scared of the portfolio option now to be honest. lol

I think we will see how he does on the achievement test and go from there. If for some reason the scores don't qualify I can look into getting him to do some reading or worksheets on video. Reading is where he excels most right now. I guess I thought the submitted items had to be something really out there to qualify so I submitted the most striking stuff we had which was from when he was 2 and 3. Didn't think it would be considered too old since he is only 6. Guess I should have been thinking more practical. Thank goodness they give you another chance.
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/31/14 05:34 AM
Congratulations OrlFamily, JAH823!! Exciting news!

Brandijcelyn, I am so sorry to hear you need to submit more info. I totally understand your nervousness regarding the portfolio option. My DD didn't have much enrichment at home prior to her wisc test so whilst I could have done a video of her reading and she could have easily done 2nd/3rd grade worksheets, I was never confident it would be enough, partly because she isn't like my DS who has obsessions and an exceptionally good memory and I feel it is so much easier to convey his intelligence through a portfolio.

And yes, don't give up! Good luck with the achievement testing, hope all goes well smile
Posted By: OrlFamily Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/31/14 05:38 PM
We are still whirling/so excited from hearing that our DS7 is a DYS (mostly because of his math ability)—but it's brought back my annoyance with his teacher last year who patiently explained to be that an ability to "calculate" was different from math reasoning and refused to do any acceleration. I feel like we wasted an entire year of school. I really want to go back to her and explain that this isn't about him knowing his multiplication tables or me being a pushy parent, that he does have a passion for math and felt so misunderstood/out of place in her classroom. Sorry, just had to vent!
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/31/14 06:33 PM
OrlFamily, I hear your frustrations. I hope your consultant will be able to assist you in advocating for him in school. I'm not having much luck getting DD to memorize the tables despite some great advice I received here on this board so I am sure we will get some pushback from the school in the next month when we advocate for her to start 3rd grade math.

On that note, families who have been recently accepted - have you heard from your assigned consultant? I did get an email that we would be receiving a welcome call, etc, but I didn't hear from anyone or a follow up email.
Posted By: sabina Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/31/14 06:38 PM
hi all - is there anyone else in this months pool who still hasn't heard? I'm starting to get worried as I am still waiting for a response
Posted By: syoblrig Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/31/14 07:01 PM
It takes a while… I think we didn't hear for about a month.
Posted By: cammom Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/31/14 11:19 PM
Talked with our consultant today- it took a bit to schedule with summer vacations. I felt bad for the consultant, I think all of my school worries and worries about DS's anxiety/perfectionism just came tumbling out in one long sentence.
I am so appreciative of these forums and for Davidson- I really have no one to talk with except DH to talk with about DS.
Posted By: OrlFamily Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/01/14 01:35 PM
Canmom we haven't connected with our family consultant yet but I'm already having conversations with him/her in my head smile. This past year has been so frustrating! I'm sure all first conversations go as yours did.
Well I had my son take the achievement test and he qualified with his reading score thank goodness! I'm going to submit him for membership again once I get the report next week. The tester said she has never had any of her clients rejected if they have qualifying IQ and achievement scores so I am hopeful there won't be an issue this time. I'm so relieved! She was actually concerned about my little guy since he really underperformed on the achievement test compared to his IQ score. She thinks it is a combination low confidence and his speech issues. I feel even more now that we need some educational services to help him come out of his shell. He is all bottled up. Hoping for some good news next month. smile
Posted By: Speechie Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/13/14 02:01 PM
Good luck to everyone who is waiting. smile
I finally submitted my son's application at the end of July, so we hopefully are in the August pool of applicants. I'm not sure if he'll get in, his GAI was 146, but he lost interest on the achievement tests, so I submitted portfolio pieces instead. Hoping it is enough.
Posted By: sabina Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/14/14 06:56 AM
good luck Speechie and brandijocelyn! I discovered at the very end of the month that we were missing a bit of paperwork, so I'm back in this month's pool with you. Hope we all get good news!
Posted By: LRS Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/14/14 02:24 PM
So, I think I will probably wait until my son takes a talent search test next year sometime. He had brief testing to get into a gifted program at Northwestern and it looks like his scores will work for dys too. I wish I had talked more with the tester. She seemed to really want to talk with me about ds scores, tellling me they were unusual and such. However I had my antsy 2yo running around my feet and both kids were tired and hungry! (I was trying to be polite, but I was thinking, "I know, I know,I just needed the score to get into the classes")

So, the testing was brief iq and acheivement tests, which are not the full score we would need.

Also, we are homeschooling now, so don't have to deal with the school anymore. So I don't feel there is any urgency to applying, right?
Unless my sons fine motor problems are going to affect his results later. Are later types of testing more affected by fine motor issues? I can see how having the dys would help with advocating at school, but since we left the school it is probably not so necessary for now. Does that sound about right?
Posted By: cmguy Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/14/14 02:39 PM
I think the WPPSI-IV uses an ink dauber (like a big cylindrical stamp) so the kids can mark stuff. I am not sure what the fine motor demands of the WISC-IV or WISC-V are though -

Posted By: aeh Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/14/14 04:00 PM
Yes, the WPPSI-IV uses an ink dauber for processing speed, to reduce the confounds of fine motor skills. The WISC-IV and WISC-V both require some fine-motor skills for the coding subtest of processing speed. There have been attempts to make the symbols somewhat easier to write, but it remains to be seen whether it will help remove the fine motor confound. Symbol Search and Cancellation are both just cross-off tasks, so there is substantially less impact from pencil skills.
Posted By: Peter Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/14/14 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by LRS
Also, we are homeschooling now, so don't have to deal with the school anymore. So I don't feel there is any urgency to applying, right?
Unless my sons fine motor problems are going to affect his results later. Are later types of testing more affected by fine motor issues? I can see how having the dys would help with advocating at school, but since we left the school it is probably not so necessary for now. Does that sound about right?

The one big benefit of DYS is your DS and you will be able to network with peers through annual summit or local group gathering. We haven't done any online seminar yet but sounds really great too.
Hi:

I'm preparing to submit an application for my son, age 8. I've prepared draft answers to the application questions, and wonder whether they are appropriate in length. Will just a few sentences for each do?

I'd appreciate any experiences you can share.

Thanks,

Ken
I think I had some answers that were longer, but for sure there were questions I answered with only a sentence or two.
I struggled with this, too - I felt like I risked repeating myself with longer answers to some questions. My gut feeling was this: if you are applying with scores and they are comfortably qualifying, brevity is probably fine. If you have scores that aren't quite there or a less strong portfolio, your answers are probably more critical to round out the application.

Best of luck!
My answers were just a few sentences.

Congrats to those that just got in! Welcome!
Posted By: LRS Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/19/14 09:38 PM
Hmm. Thanks for the info on fine motor confound and testing.
Posted By: Ken Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/20/14 02:33 PM
Those replies about essay length are very reassuring--thank you!
Posted By: angelah Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/21/14 06:50 PM
I just received an email indicating that the qualification criteria has changed. I submitted my material for evaluation this month. I haven't heard anything beyond the confirmation that they received the nominator form and the parent form. I don't know if this was a generic email or if I am missing something. He still meets the minimum criteria that was reported as being changed, so I am a little concerned. I e-mailed the office, but have not heard back yet. Has anyone else received this e-mail? Thanks.
Posted By: howdy Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/21/14 07:16 PM
Angelah, I don't know the answer to your question, but would you mind saying what exactly has changed. I took a look at the qualification criteria on the website and I didn't notice any changes, but then again, I might not notice.
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/21/14 07:35 PM
Things that I've noticed that have recently changed are some EXPLORE test criteria and WPPSI criteria.
Posted By: cmguy Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/21/14 07:42 PM
WPPSI-III was dropped. Must be WPPSI-IV now.

WPPSI-IV VCI can no longer qualify a child, but GAI can qualify (not sure if the GAI thing is new).
Posted By: Jklm Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/21/14 10:47 PM
Yes, GAI for WPPSI is new. I think it is because WPPSI-III didn't have GAI tables. And the WPPSI minimum score went down from 150 to 145.
Posted By: aeh Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/21/14 11:06 PM
The WPPSI-III has probably been dropped because the WPPSI-IV has been out for two years now, so legit evaluators should have moved on to the current instrument a year ago. (Unless, of course, you are in AU/NZ, in which case it was just released this spring.)

Yes, GAI is new to the WPPSI-IV. Pearson is slowly revising all the Wechslers to something that will look more like the WPPSI-IV (viz, the new WISC-V, which has a very similar index structure to the WPPSI-IV).
Posted By: angelah Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/21/14 11:47 PM
I received an e-mail from them in response to my e-mail. It was a generic e-mail they sent to people in the application process to let them know that some things did change. I'm not sure what changed either. I learned that my DH did not complete the parent form. It looks like it went into his spam folder and I didn't realize until today that we need to wait until September. Another month of anxious waiting.
Posted By: Speechie Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/23/14 01:56 AM
Angelah, sorry you are having to wait one more month! Ugh. I never got an email from them about criteria changes. ...
Still waiting to hear, I check the mailbox hoping...we shall see...
Posted By: angelah Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/23/14 03:09 AM
Thanks. I am guessing that they sent it out to people who did not get their applications in yet, which is how I learned that my DH did not complete his form. I am curious how many applications they typically receive and if it really is the last day of the month until we find out. Did the rest of you get a final confirmation that all of the material was received? I know they received my form and the nominators prior to August 1st, but that was the only message I received. Thanks for helping me understand the process.
The criteria changes don't take effect until October 1st. We should be fine for this month and next with the old rules. The achievement test my son took won't be accepted after the deadline. Glad we got the application in. Ready for another waiting period!
Posted By: Speechie Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/24/14 11:34 PM
No word yet via mail or email. I'm guessing I won't hear till the end of the month. No one asked for more info either, so I'm hopeful things will go ok.
I'm so curious the waiting is hard
Posted By: sabina Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/28/14 06:18 PM
just heard back that my 9yo son got in! SOO excited laugh
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/28/14 10:14 PM
Congratulations sabina and son!!! Best of luck to those waiting!
Posted By: Speechie Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/29/14 03:02 PM
YAAAY! My 7 yo son was accepted!
Congrats to you Sabina! smile
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/29/14 03:07 PM
HOORAY, Speechie and son!!! smile
Posted By: slammie Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/29/14 04:14 PM
Great news! Congratulations Sabina and Speechie!!!
Posted By: KTPie Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/29/14 04:30 PM
Congrats!!!
Posted By: suevv Re: simple question about DYS application - 09/04/14 08:08 PM
Hi guys - I have a portfolio question. My 6-year old son was assessed as PG but dyslexic and dysgraphic. His WISC scores are well above the qualification criteria, but his achievement scores are below (math was 99 percentile, but not 99.9). So we will have to do a portfolio if he is to have shot at DYS.

He has a series of books he created about super cars that are pretty cool. Unfortunately, (from a portfolio point of view), since he basically won't write, his Dad and I scribed for him when he created them. We scribed word-for-word, and you can tell that from some of the funny word usage and sentence structure. But since we scribed, are they disqualified as work samples?

Thanks for any thoughts you can offer.

Sue
It seems to me that making videos of your son may be a better option for his portfolio rather than submitting written work. Maybe video him verbally reciting the stories. I had the same issue finding material for my son because he has not really created anything tangible we can use. Another option would be to wait and have him do the achievement test again to see if he scores higher since he was close. Good luck!
Posted By: LAF Re: simple question about DYS application - 09/07/14 04:09 AM
Hi, I am in Southern California- does anyone have any recommendations for how I can get a qualifying achievement test locally? I called regarding EXPLORE a couple of months ago (I know they are phasing it out and replacing with ACT) but I would have to fly to Reno to have him take it. Are there any other lower cost alternatives for me? His GAI on the WISC IV qualifies, I just need to try and get achievement scores -
Posted By: SouthLake Re: simple question about DYS application - 09/07/14 06:56 AM
Belin Blank used to offer testing arrangements on an individual basis (like set up a test administration for you, in your city). Not sure if they still do with EXPLORE being phased out but you could call and ask.
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 09/07/14 12:59 PM
Hi LAF, Oh, flying to take the EXPLORE sounds expensive! Belin-Blank was my thought, as well. OR, could you find a tester in your area that could give one of the achievement tests for low-$? DS6 was too young for EXPLORE (DD9 took that), so we had him take the WIAT instead (since your DS is older, perhaps have him take the WJ?). It really was not that bad expense-wise (and well-worth it to get a read on where he was at).

Also, keep in mind that it appears that the EXPLORE criteria for DYS were recently raised.
Posted By: SouthLake Re: simple question about DYS application - 09/07/14 01:41 PM
Dr. David Palmer is in OC ( Laguna Beach) and will do a WJIII for around $400-450. Not exactly cheap but he is excellent and is listed on Hoagies. He has some experience with 2e as well.
Actually $400-$450 is a pretty good deal. I paid $500 for the WIAT in northern California and that was a discounted rate.
Posted By: 1111 Re: simple question about DYS application - 09/23/14 04:31 PM
Might have posted this in the wrong thread yesterday. Sorry about that....:-)

I am wondering if I have to scan the full IQ testing report, which includes everything from how my son acted during testing, background, recommendations etc and is very long. OR do I just submit the page with the actual WISC results? We have qualifying WISC and WJ-III results.
Posted By: gabalyn Re: simple question about DYS application - 09/23/14 04:39 PM
When we applied, they stated specifically that they wanted the full report.
Posted By: angelah Re: simple question about DYS application - 09/26/14 06:10 PM
I am anxiously waiting to see if my DS will qualify for the Youth Scholar program. I am hoping to find some resources to help challenge my son as the rural elementary school he attends does not have many resources. His gifted teacher has to run to three different elementary schools (only 1 elementary teacher for all of the students). He learns very quickly and has reported that school is too easy.

Yay we made it in this month! So relieved. Best wishes to you angelah. smile
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 09/27/14 06:29 PM
Congratulations, brandijocelyn!!!

Best of luck, angelah!

DS6 is also now a DYS!
Posted By: angelah Re: simple question about DYS application - 09/29/14 03:56 AM
Thanks everyone. DS8 was accepted also! I am anxious to get the paperwork in and to see what they can do to help ensure he reaches his fullest potential!
Posted By: Labmom Re: simple question about DYS application - 10/17/14 04:45 PM
Hi Everyone, We are getting ready to send in our application to DYS and I have a question I want to throw out regarding the qualifying criteria...

We have option#1 scores in spades, for option #2 we thought we had a qualifying WIAT III score for the reading composite, but the tester did not do all 4 subtests, so what I have are qualifying scores in Reading comprehension and word reading, but no scores for decoding and oral reading, hence no composite score. The tester thinks I should submit anyway because in her opinion the two tests she did not do would have no effect on the overall picture.

I plan on submitting the email exchange I had with the tester about this so they see her reasoning and hope that they agree, otherwise I will have to pay for the additional tests...boo.

So my question is if you all think I should submit something else as well? I do have ERB test results that I could include, but I don't know if those would have any real effect. I prefer the test results as opposed to work samples, seems cut and dry that way as opposed to opinion.

Any advice for us would be appreciated! Thanks!
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 10/19/14 04:41 PM
Hi Labmom, I think you have 2 options: 1) submit what you have with a portfolio; 2) have testing done to obtain composite scores.

I submitted scores for my 2 DYS (we've never tried the portfolio option, but plenty of others have - successfully). For DS, he had a WJ performed very young for a gifted program, with high subtest scores, but no composite. I opted to have him retested on the WIAT almost 2 years later, so we could get the required composites. The added benefit for us was a chance to allow him to demonstrate his newfound love of math.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you and your DC!
Posted By: Labmom Re: simple question about DYS application - 10/28/14 07:30 PM
Thanks Loy58. We went ahead and had DD finish the subtests to get the total composite. If we can figure out how to answer the application questions intelligently we'll apply this month :-)
Hi all, I am new to this forum. I have a 5 years old son, whose IQ test scores meet the criteria to apply for Davidson Institute.

We are thinking of going with the portfolio option, but wonder what kind of work samples we could provide for 5 years old to better support our application. He is in kindergarten, and does not produce much work sample.

His strongest area is working memory, and he does pretty well for the rest of the subtests except for a low processing speed score 124 due to usually low cancellation score, his scored around 150 for bug search and animal coding.

Here are some ideas I have in mind:
- math: video of him doing math problems (large number addition, multi-digit multiplication). demonstrate mental math skills; he is very good at logic games, but don't know how to demonstrate that.
- reading comprehension: have his teacher give him some 3rd grade article, and have him mark the answers, have teacher sign off that he does it without help
- oral reading: video of him reading articles 2 or 3 grade above his age peers
- would a video demonstrating him reading a foreign language at advanced level help?

- science: no idea
- discussion: no idea. He loves music and could talk a lot about great musicians and etc, but music is not counted.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Posted By: nan15 Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/10/15 10:24 PM
Is it possible to apply to Davidson gifted with just the explore results and not IQ test?
Posted By: SouthLake Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/20/15 03:55 AM
Yes, if you submit a portfolio.
Posted By: Gamomof2 Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/27/15 02:28 AM
We applied to Davidson's gifted last month for DS 7 who is headed to 4th grade in the fall and are anxiously waiting their response. My son did the WISC -IV in March and his processing speed score was very low. He has already had 2 grade skips in school is still way ahead of his peers. I am starting to run out of options again so I applied to DYS as an additional resource. I haven't calculated his GAI but I know it's higher than Fsiq... Will that be enough to get him in though? Has anyone with similar profile be successful with their application?

VCI - 140
PRI - 137
WMI - 126
PSI - 100
FSIQ - 135
Posted By: indigo Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/27/15 04:42 PM
It is my understanding that for purposes of applying to the Young Scholars program , the GAI is to be calculated by the professional(s) who tested your child, and the complete report is to be submitted for the application, not just the scores.

If your child does not become a DYS, there is still much support available from DITD in the form of information on the Davidson Database, summer courses, this public forum, the Educator's Guild, and the Davidson Fellowship.

I am starting to run out of options
Whether your child becomes a DYS or not, you may wish to visit the Davidson Database and search for "schooling options". There are many articles on this topic, one or more of which may give you some ideas for working with your school or creating a unique educational path for your child.
Posted By: George C Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/27/15 05:28 PM
Hi Gamomof2,

You can calculate his GAI directly, but you need the subtest scores that went into calculating the VCI and the PRI.

I had asked the question previously on the forum here, so you might find that thread useful.

It's my understanding that a subtest sum of those 6 subtests which was 97 or higher would qualify for the first criteria for a DYS application.
Posted By: Gamomof2 Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/27/15 09:31 PM
Thanks George C and Indigo for responding to my inquiry. I am keeping my fingered crossed to see what they say in the next 3 days. My private psychologist that I used refused to calculate the GAI even after I asked after I got the results back. I guess it's something he doesn't do. He did give me a full report with comments that we submitted along with a full load of supporting data for the application. I agree whether we make it or not there is a ton of useful data on this site and articles here that have already been very useful to us. We have managed to navigate / work with our school and have done 2 prior grade accelerations and also have a gifted program in place. But here we are again headed to 4 the grade at 7 yrs and his ITBS and tests show he still performing 2 grades ahead of his peers. I am not looking to place him with 5th graders at 7 yrs old so I am looking for resources and support as I consider homeschooling path next year.
Posted By: Gamomof2 Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/28/15 01:06 AM
George C - thank you also for the reference to the thread... I just finished reading it and that was really helpful. DS subtest scores were:
VCI (similarities -15, vocabulary - 19, comprehension -16, information -18)
PRI ( block design-16, picture concepts - 15, matrix reasoning-17)

If I understand it correctly his subtest sum for 6 should be over 97 but I don't want to jinx myself due to low PSI. I am still trying to figure out what the low PSI means.
Posted By: George C Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/28/15 01:19 AM
Well, if you have the full report, that should include subtest scores and you can get the GAI from that. I would think that the folks at Davidson would understand that calculation.
Posted By: indigo Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/28/15 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by Gamomof2
I am looking for resources and support as I consider homeschooling path next year.
Many families find that the Gifted Homeschoolers Forum is a great resource.
Posted By: Gamomof2 Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/28/15 02:27 AM
Thank you - I will look up the gifted homeschoolers forum as well.
Posted By: indigo Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/28/15 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Gamomof2
I am still trying to figure out what the low PSI means.
PSI is Processing Speed Index, a low score would tend to indicate a slow processing speed. This may be indicative of a learning disability (or not)... just something to possibly explore further.

There are several posts/threads on these forums, which discuss low PSI and low WMI.
Posted By: Gamomof2 Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/29/15 12:51 AM
Hi Everyone,
Thank you so much for all the wonderful info you shared... We finally got our acceptance letter today and I am happy to say that DS got in. I definitely will look into the homeschool forum and I think we have a local convention coming up here in July.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/29/15 02:38 AM
Great news - congrats!
Posted By: Gamomof2 Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/02/15 11:08 AM
Thanks!
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/02/15 01:09 PM
Congratulations!!! smile
Posted By: Doms mimi Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/27/15 06:23 PM
where do you get the assessment done in Reno, NV? My grandson is 4 (turns 5 March 2016). Summer reading program says he's at 2nd/3rd grade reading level. Appreciate the guidance.
Posted By: mom2sofia Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/31/15 10:32 PM
Anyone else want to join me in the waiting room? July 30 can't come fast enough! Though my 7th grade daughter qualifies with achievement and IQ scores, I'm slightly paranoid that she won't get in. It's funny that I feel more nervous for this than I did for my own college grades smile .
Posted By: George C Re: simple question about DYS application - 07/31/15 11:30 PM
We thought about applying this month, but we're not at the point where we have a good person to fill out the nomination form. Maybe we'll wait a few months when that changes.

Best of luck to you!
Posted By: Irena Re: simple question about DYS application - 08/09/15 11:52 PM
Okay, just submitted application for DS1 smile I'm kind-of excited. With the criteria change, I felt like it was now or never. He has qualifying IQ score but had missed the achievement only by 2 points. Also, I did not feel like we had a good nominator previously. Now, I feel like we have more than one good nominator and the new criteria means his scores now qualify.

Fingers crossed... smile I'd love for him to get it but will not be crushed if he doesn't. I just figured this was our chance. I am concerned about DS2 though... He is gifted but his scores are only 138 - so he does not have qualifying WISC scores (that is on the WISC V). However, he is getting his achievement testing done on Tuesday so maybe he'll get a qualifying score there... We'll see.
Posted By: VR101 Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/08/16 09:10 PM
We are planning to apply for DYS for DS10 who qualifies based on EXPLORE test scores. We are new to this program, and do not know the application process well. How important is the discussion question section? Do those answers have to be very long, or maybe with documented examples? Also, would his school teacher or GT teacher be good as a nominator? Input is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: ajinlove Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/08/16 09:54 PM
I just applied for my DS7 in February and he got accepted to the program. I think the most important thing is the test score. The answers to the questions don't really need to be long. I've used bullet points for a few questions and gave examples in other questions. I think the documented examples can be submitted as supplemental support for the application. I asked DSs' piano teacher to be the nominator as he has known my son for more than 2 years and DS has shown him his other abilities other than playing piano. I think the GT teacher would be a good nominator if he/she knows your son well.

HTH. Good luck!
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/08/16 10:50 PM
Yep. I think the most important factor is whether the child has the qualifying test scores. I doubt that my writing helped either of my DYS get accepted. My responses were even shorter on the second application, because my gut told me Davidson primarily wanted the scores to qualify. wink We used teachers as recommendations for both DC. Best of luck!!!
Posted By: VR101 Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/10/16 12:31 AM
Thank you so much for the information!
Posted By: lmb123 Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/12/16 08:46 PM
After much procrastination, we turned in DS application this month. I'm wondering if anyone knows - can a child be turned down for membership if they have met the minimum scores and the test is valid (full report, qualified professional, within the timeline)? Also, if the committee requires additional information, will that be asked during the month or at the end of the review period (pushing the decision to the following month)? I keep checking my email in case there are more questions. I am not getting an awful lot done this month smile
Posted By: George C Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/12/16 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by lmb123
I'm wondering if anyone knows - can a child be turned down for membership if they have met the minimum scores and the test is valid (full report, qualified professional, within the timeline)?
I think they can be turned down, but from the impression I've gotten, that's pretty rare.
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/12/16 10:28 PM
Also, if the committee requires additional information, will that be asked during the month or at the end of the review period (pushing the decision to the following month)?

My experience is that you probably won't hear anything until the last business day of the month, and that it is very unlikely that there will be any questions if you have qualifying scores.
Posted By: lmb123 Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/13/16 12:35 AM
Thank you for your replies George C and ElizabethN.
Posted By: Skepchick Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/26/16 10:29 PM
Hi all. N00b here. Got a question or two.

So, in March my 5yo received the Woodcock-Johnson assessment that's listed under Option 2 of the Davidson criteria. (He's a 2E. This was part of his SpEd re-eval.) Later, another parent mentioned the Davidson program to me. I looked into it, and I see that my son's results qualify him under the Option 2 criteria.

But even though the criteria say I can submit something from Option 1 OR something from Option 2, and I don't need to send any supplementary material if I don't want to, I get the impression that one achievement test may not be sufficient for the DYS deciders. Am I wrong? Can I just send in the full W-J test report and proceed to wait to hear? If not, what else should I include in order to improve my son's chances?
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/27/16 03:52 PM
Hi Skepchick,

Let me see if I can help. Davidson seems to periodically revise their criteria. Not too long ago they made a pretty major revision that allowed someone to essentially submit IQ OR achievement equivalents instead of IQ AND achievement equivalents. You may be referring to the old criteria. It's important to note, though, that if you are now using achievement results only, I believe that a child needs to qualify in 2 areas (not just one; carefully reviewing the current criteria is key). I'm not sure if this helps, but please feel free to ask if you need more help! Best wishes!
Posted By: George C Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/27/16 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by Loy58
It's important to note, though, that if you are now using achievement results only, I believe that a child needs to qualify in 2 areas (not just one; carefully reviewing the current criteria is key).
One achievement test with 2 indices (in the WJ case, 145 or above) is sufficient to meet the current minimum qualification criteria (2 of Broad Math, Broad Reading, Broad Written Language, or Total Achievement).
After much procrastination, we turned in DS application this month. I'm wondering if anyone knows - can a child be turned down for membership if they have met the minimum scores and the test is valid (full report, qualified professional, within the timeline)? Also, if the committee requires additional information, will that be asked during the month or at the end of the review period (pushing the decision to the following month)? I keep checking my email in case there are more questions. I am not getting an awful lot done this month smile

I believe that an applicant probably can be turned down for membership even if they meet the minimum but that it would be increasing unlikely the further their scores are from the minimum. Why else would it be a minimum and why would Davidson not offer automatic acceptances otherwise? However, I think that it is far more likely that Davidson will request work product samples to bolster/supplement a single set of qualifying test scores than outright reject applicants, even if they are just at the minimum. It would not make sense for you to get any "additional information" request from Davidson until around the time that they issue decisions (near end of month) since the request itself is a decision arrived after reviewing your application. Since the committee would then have to review all your supplementary information in view of your existing application, you will unlikely get a final decision until the next round of decisions. I think that is especially true now since the membership has expanded so much just in the years (~ 4-5) since my first DYS joined.

Disclaimer: Although I have two kids who are DYS members, I am really applying common sense more than anything. However, I am not employed by Davidson or qualified to speak for them so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Good luck and try to forget about the whole thing until the end of June! By the way, both of my DYS received their acceptance emails about five days before the end of the month, around the 25th/26th, but you should hear by the last day certainly.
Originally Posted by Skepchick
Hi all. N00b here. Got a question or two.

So, in March my 5yo received the Woodcock-Johnson assessment that's listed under Option 2 of the Davidson criteria. (He's a 2E. This was part of his SpEd re-eval.) Later, another parent mentioned the Davidson program to me. I looked into it, and I see that my son's results qualify him under the Option 2 criteria.

But even though the criteria say I can submit something from Option 1 OR something from Option 2, and I don't need to send any supplementary material if I don't want to, I get the impression that one achievement test may not be sufficient for the DYS deciders. Am I wrong? Can I just send in the full W-J test report and proceed to wait to hear? If not, what else should I include in order to improve my son's chances?

Where do you get the impression that one achievement test may not be sufficient? I think that you can just apply with the one report and worse case scenario Davidson will let you know if they want more. I don't think that you would get an outright rejection if you have qualifying scores. A number of posters on this forum over the years were given a chance to submit supplementary documentation even though the scores fell below the minimum. However, for your peace of mind and to avoid potential delay, you can always send in some supplementary documentation (other 99.9 percentile test scores, writing samples, videos, etc.) if you can gather them quickly, assuming that you are after a quick acceptance.
Posted By: RobotMom Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/27/16 10:35 PM
Here is what the website says about what is needed for a child to be qualified: (refers to the test scores)
Be administered when the applicant was at least 4 years old; AND
Meet or exceed the score guidelines listed; AND
Include an official, complete report with all pages attached. Reports for individually administered tests often include the tester’s observations, tests administered, test scores, explanation of findings, and recommendations.

If your child meets the score guideline and your application is complete, it seems like that is all they are looking for. When we submitted our DD's scores, we included 2 pieces of work that showed her working above grade level as well as her qualifying scores because we were nervous about her getting accepted, but since her scores were high enough they didn't really look at the work we sent in too.
Posted By: lmb123 Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/27/16 10:36 PM
We got the acceptance email yesterday smile

Originally Posted by Quantum2003

I believe that an applicant probably can be turned down for membership even if they meet the minimum but that it would be increasing unlikely the further their scores are from the minimum. Why else would it be a minimum and why would Davidson not offer automatic acceptances otherwise? However, I think that it is far more likely that Davidson will request work product samples to bolster/supplement a single set of qualifying test scores than outright reject applicants, even if they are just at the minimum. It would not make sense for you to get any "additional information" request from Davidson until around the time that they issue decisions (near end of month) since the request itself is a decision arrived after reviewing your application. Since the committee would then have to review all your supplementary information in view of your existing application, you will unlikely get a final decision until the next round of decisions. I think that is especially true now since the membership has expanded so much just in the years (~ 4-5) since my first DYS joined.

Disclaimer: Although I have two kids who are DYS members, I am really applying common sense more than anything. However, I am not employed by Davidson or qualified to speak for them so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Good luck and try to forget about the whole thing until the end of June! By the way, both of my DYS received their acceptance emails about five days before the end of the month, around the 25th/26th, but you should hear by the last day certainly.
Posted By: Loy58 Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/27/16 10:46 PM
We got the acceptance email yesterday smile

Congratulations! smile
Congratulations!

It's funny but I did have a fleeting thought as I was posting that you could have submitted your application on the 1st of the month! I think I submitted each kid's application near/at the end of the month and thought I was cutting it close!
Posted By: Skepchick Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/28/16 02:11 PM
OK, there's my answer--it seems (I admit I'm inferring) that lmb123 submitted a full test report, period, and got in. That is a relief. As for the other helpful answers--I guess I'm having a bit of trouble realizing that yes, the application might be just that simple. Wow. That's great!

Just got finished with a big deadline. I can get on the application after the long weekend is over. Wish me luck all!
Posted By: Skepchick Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/07/16 08:16 PM
Ok, a new question, about the eight open-ended questions the parents have to answer.

When Team Davidson asks, 'Please describe your child's developmental milestones:', what sorts of milestones are they seeking--how are they defining 'milestone'? And how many should I give them?

Posted By: ajinlove Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/07/16 08:44 PM
I put in things like when my DS started recognizing all the alphabets, when he started reading, when he memorized all states and capitols, etc. I think they are looking for milestones that you see are advanced for your DC's age.
Posted By: lmb123 Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/07/16 08:47 PM
OK, there's my answer--it seems (I admit I'm inferring) that lmb123 submitted a full test report, period, and got in. That is a relief. As for the other helpful answers--I guess I'm having a bit of trouble realizing that yes, the application might be just that simple. Wow. That's great!

Just got finished with a big deadline. I can get on the application after the long weekend is over. Wish me luck all!

I'm not sure what you mean. We filled out the whole application, had a nominator and submitted a full report with qualifying scores. In other words, we fulfilled all the requirements for eligibility. Are you referring to submitting samples of work? Since DS had a qualifying score we did not feel it was necessary.
Posted By: lmb123 Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/07/16 08:54 PM
Ok, a new question, about the eight open-ended questions the parents have to answer.

When Team Davidson asks, 'Please describe your child's developmental milestones:', what sorts of milestones are they seeking--how are they defining 'milestone'? And how many should I give them?

We broke ours down into 4 development groups (physical, social emotional, cognitive, language communication) and provided 4-6 examples that seemed relevant under each category.

Posted By: Skepchick Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/07/16 08:59 PM
Ok, that is a relief. I have things along those lines that I can cite.

New question. When Team Davidson asks:

Please describe an incident that demonstrates your child’s need to explore subjects in surprising depth:

What do they mean by "surprising depth"? What's a good example of
"surprising depth"?
Posted By: Skepchick Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/07/16 09:06 PM
Yes, that's what I mean--you didn't include samples of work along with the application, the full test report, and the nominator's contribution, and you were accepted.

ETA: That was directed at LMB123.
Posted By: Skepchick Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/07/16 10:46 PM
Ah, Portia. That sounds like that's where I list stuff such as how DS was able to identify all the cards in a set of Presidential flash cards at 26 months old, that sort of thing. Yes?

ETA: My kid is five, so infant and toddler achievements are things I have to consider here.
Posted By: Cranberry Re: simple question about DYS application - 11/02/16 03:25 AM
What do they mean by "surprising depth"? What's a good example of "surprising depth"?

My DD12 is older than your situation, but here's what came to my mind when reading this question:

1 - For her 6th grade gifted glass, the students were supposed to complete a project and present on it. Some kids did science experiments, some wrote a story, etc. She decided that, since she had played classical and blues music on piano, that she wanted to study jazz. She learned the history, learned about polyrhythms, syncopation, etc., and recruited the instructors at her music school to join in recording a piece she wrote herself.

2 - For her 5th grade science fair, she remembered her mom (with a Chemistry degree) describing chromatography. Rather than creating a poster describing it, she insisted that we buy a paper chromatography kit and analyzed the dyes used in M&M candies, after researching the techniques and science. (One judge, a local college Professor, wrote on the judging form "this kid should) be in college")
Posted By: Cookie Re: simple question about DYS application - 11/10/16 12:24 PM
Unfortunately my sons surprizing depth is video games and you tube videos as well as you tube videos about video games with Pixar movies....and super hero movies on the side.

Posted By: napanangka Re: simple question about DYS application - 11/10/16 10:45 PM
Ha! My son's is Pokemon....
Posted By: Cranberry Re: simple question about DYS application - 11/15/16 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by Cookie
Unfortunately my sons surprizing depth is video games and you tube videos as well as you tube videos about video games with Pixar movies....and super hero movies on the side.

I think my DD12 could win a MacArthur Grant if it was on YouTube videos. With a specialty on YouTube videos watching someone else play Minecraft...
Posted By: Arrw09 Re: simple question about DYS application - 12/30/16 09:25 PM
These questions were tough for me to answer, too.
Posted By: LAF Re: simple question about DYS application - 01/01/17 01:49 AM
my DD9's used to be making no-sew dresses, now it's DIY beauty products Youtube style… she made me a vanilla and peppermint sugar scrub for Christmas smile
Posted By: Pinecroft Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/01/17 02:32 PM
What if you can't think of any examples of 'surprising depth'? I'm applying for two kids, DD10 immediately and DS12 when his new scores are available (old ones way too old). For DS12 the question is so-o easily answered (with the minecraft/youtube type answer too LOL). But for DD... she's interested in tons of things, but doesn't dig way in like her brother does. Advice?
Posted By: greenlotus Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/24/17 02:32 AM
Well, I received a very nice email today - DD11 is a newly minted DYS!! I wanted to cry but was in the midst of car pooling 3 kids...

So many thoughts have been floating through my head.

I remember when she was a bitty thing, and Early Intervention stated she was incredibly developmentally delayed and probably intellectually disabled (ok, trying not to cry now).

Her fourth grade teacher said DD needed a psychiatrist instead of challenging work. She argued against the grade skip (luckily the school district ignored her!).

Wanting to wave the information in front of the middle school AG teacher who shut down a parent teacher meeting about DD by telling the teachers "Oh, we have lots of kids who are smart in our school" when my DH and I tried to explain that DD needed challenging work in science and social studies (her favorites).

So many other feelings and thoughts - too many to list. I know that DH and I are just amazed at her transformation.

I want to thank everyone here for all the information and support since we started this journey!!

PS - I just double checked the email to see if I mis-read it. Nope, she is in!
Posted By: sanne Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/24/17 02:51 AM
How sweet greenlotus! <3 All the feels! (((Hug)))
Posted By: indigo Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/26/17 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by greenlotus
needed a psychiatrist instead of challenging work
Please be aware that a person might need or benefit from both; This is not an either-or situation.

amazed at her transformation
Please be aware that adding the DYS label does not remove any learning differences/disabilities, 2e issues, or social difficulties from every day life. DYS simply offers another potential source of guidance, and possible social interaction (if you move overseas, do you plan to travel to DYS in-person events?).
Posted By: greenlotus Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/27/17 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by sanne
How sweet greenlotus! <3 All the feels! (((Hug)))

Thanks!!!!
Posted By: greenlotus Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/27/17 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by indigo
needed a psychiatrist instead of challenging work
Please be aware that a person might need or benefit from both; This is not an either-or situation.

amazed at her transformation
Please be aware that adding the DYS label does not remove any learning differences/disabilities, 2e issues, or social difficulties from every day life. DYS simply offers another potential source of guidance, and possible social interaction (if you move overseas, do you plan to travel to DYS in-person events?).

Well, the psych comment was made very sarcastically. This particular teacher was not supportive. Funny thing - we were seeing a psych for DD at the time the teacher made the comment. The psychologist contacted the teacher to see if she could get the teacher to provide DD with challenging work, and the teacher just ignored the information.

It is ironic that we might be overseas just as we get DYS recognition. We will be in the US every summer, but I have no idea what we will be doing during those summer months. I am, however, looking foward to help from the DYS team. The DD's will be at an American international school so I hope the advice will still be valid!!!
Posted By: indigo Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/27/17 01:16 AM
Your experience reinforces that it is not an either-or situation. smile

Sorry to hear of teacher sarcasm, as sarcasm is detrimental.
Unfortunately teachers who are unsupportive are fairly common.

DYS membership is not necessarily a "recognition" in that it is not an earned award, and is not based on merit, but rather is a source of potential assistance in connecting with support/help for those with a rare intellectual profile.

Regarding the validity of advice:
Wherever you are, it is beneficial to become familiar with your applicable education laws and also your school policies.
Posted By: gam3 Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/30/18 01:25 PM
I am so happy for your kid! It is such a relief for mom!

-----------------------------------
I am a newbie in the forum and learning many things.
My 7yr DS is FSIQ 134 and VS 99.7%
He is currently in PS and struggling. I really want to help him.

And DYS required 145+.
(http://www.davidsongifted.org/Young-Scholars/How-to-Apply/Qualification-Criteria)

Is there any way he can apply for the program? Many thanks in advance.
Posted By: aeh Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/30/18 11:35 PM
The numbers you've supplied are not really in the qualifying range for DYS, but that shouldn't stop you from researching other resources, or for advocating for his needs to be met. He does meet criteria for Mensa, which some families have found helpful, and may meet criteria for GT programming in your local district.
Posted By: gam3 Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/31/18 03:56 AM
His math/reading is G4 level but the school does not allow him to move up and he lost interests in the school.
Posted By: gam3 Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/31/18 04:06 AM
He is struggling because class is too easy and school policy is too strict. there�s no differentiated program.
Posted By: gam3 Re: simple question about DYS application - 03/31/18 04:07 AM
He is struggling because class is too easy for him and school policy is too strict. there’s no differentiated program.
Posted By: indigo Re: simple question about DYS application - 04/12/18 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by gam3
His math/reading is G4 level but the school does not allow him to move up and he lost interests in the school.
He is struggling because class is too easy and school policy is too strict. there’s no differentiated program.
Have you looked into your State Laws?
Your school policies?
The roundup of advocacy information?
Do you have test scores, etc to support a single subject acceleration (SSA) in math?

Are you able to identify what, specifically, "does not allow him to move up"?
For example... is it something in the State Law?
- the published school policies?
- his performance?
If performance-related, does the school engage in practices which many find to be unfair, unrealistic, or otherwise biased against gifted pupils, such as...
- - require 100% on pre-tests?
- - have differentiated task demands (ask more of him than other students, to earn the same grade/mark/score)?
- - have standards-based grading (have a higher expectation of him than other students and grade according to this subjective expectation rather than according to an objective scale)?
- - etc...

Or are you reflecting disappointment that the school did not recognize that he could already do the work and automatically move him forward to next lessons?

BTW, gam3, although you are new here you may want to take note that this thread is about experiences with the DYS program, and questions about the DYS application. Therefore your statements about your child's public school experience may better be posted to a new thread on that topic... to avoid changing the topic of this thread (hijacking this thread).
Posted By: Aalynia Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/20/21 06:43 PM
Time to resurrect this thread!

My son's application was sent to review on the 17th. Does anyone know if they still pool the applications together monthly and send results at the end of the month? If so, would he be in the May pool or June pool? The previous posts concerning admissions are quite old so I wasn't sure if that's still how it's done.

Thanks!
Posted By: aeh Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/30/21 10:19 PM
bump
Posted By: indigo Re: simple question about DYS application - 05/31/21 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Aalynia
My son's application was sent to review on the 17th. Does anyone know if they still pool the applications together monthly and send results at the end of the month? If so, would he be in the May pool or June pool? The previous posts concerning admissions are quite old so I wasn't sure if that's still how it's done.
Welcome, Aalynia!
smile
The current description for the Davidson Young Scholars admissions includes:
Applications are reviewed year-round on a rolling basis. Once applications are complete, they are sent to review. Applicants can expect to hear back regarding a decision for their application within 6-weeks of their notification of completion. Please review the following application components that are required before an application is considered complete.
Aalynia, if you were notified on Monday, May 17, 2021 that your son's application was complete as was being sent to review, then 6 weeks from that date would be June 28, 2021.
smile
Posted By: Deep135 Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/07/21 03:43 PM
How can 10 year old 5th grader test for Young scholar program? We couldn�t find psychologist to test for Wiat / WJ etc. Looks like talent search tests to take PSAT 8/9 are discontinued. What are our options? We have school tested scores like Cogat and ITBS . Scored highest possible 99 percentile in both but looks like these are scores are not accepted for young scholar program. Thank you.
Posted By: indigo Re: simple question about DYS application - 06/20/21 01:14 AM
Deep135 - Have you looked at the Hoagies Gifted Education webpage?
There is a link dedicated to psychologists administering tests to assess for gifted. https://www.hoagiesgifted.org/psychologists.htm
These psychologists would be expected to be familiar with the DYS eligibility and testing criteria - https://www.davidsongifted.org/gifted-programs/young-scholars/admissions/eligibility-and-testing/.

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum