Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: bornin69 need help interpreting fsiq scores - 02/18/11 03:52 PM
My 10 year old daughter was given the WISC-IV IQ test yesterday and got the following scores:

Verbal 132
Perceptive Reasoning 125
Working Memory 138
Processing Speed 112
FSIQ 134

Can anyone explain how the FSIQ is calculated from the 4 subcategories? Obviously, not all scores are weighted equally but I'd really like to know how much weight is given to each score. Thanks so much for your help.
Posted By: bornin69 Re: need help interpreting fsiq scores - 02/18/11 04:10 PM
Dottie,

Thanks so much. I mostly wanted to make sure the test wasn't scored wrong. From someone without expertise in this test, the numbers don't make intuitive sense. Her school required an IQ > 130 in order to move up a grade, which she desperately needs. The 112 number scared me a little bit, but your post is reassuring.
Posted By: Grinity Re: need help interpreting fsiq scores - 02/18/11 05:10 PM
I agree with what Dottie said - excellent that the school is going to give your dd the needed skip.

To put it in perspective, 112 on processing speed is a very good score: If she were a few points higher, at 115, she would be faster than 67% of her agemates. Given her other strenths, even if this is a true representation of her skill, she is 'plenty fast enough.'

If she isn't yet touchtyping, I would encourage you to hothouse that a bit, as a strong typing speed can help level the playing field with the increased output expectations of a higher grade level.

Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: bornin69 Re: need help interpreting fsiq scores - 02/18/11 11:40 PM
Thanks so much for all of your input.
Posted By: Grinity Re: need help interpreting fsiq scores - 02/19/11 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by Dottie
Grinity dear, I love you dearly, but stick to the emotional responses and leave the numbers to me, grin .)
Thanks Dottie. You figured me perfectly....glad the news is even better than I mathed!
Posted By: Jalermom Re: need help interpreting fsiq scores - 02/19/11 02:42 AM
How did you obtain these scores? All that I was given was percentiles for my child's scores. I would like to request them, but am not sure what to ask for.
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: need help interpreting fsiq scores - 02/20/11 03:28 PM
FWIW, my dd12, skipped a grade and was already very young for her grade prior to the skip. Her PSI score was a 94, if I recall correctly. It came out at the 42nd percentile. She's done very well with the skip and her speed hasn't been a major issue. I do wish that she would work faster and it does seem like her homework takes longer than it should, but then again I am a really fast processor, so my estimation of how long things "should" take may be off wink .
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum