Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: MM19 Confidence Intervals - 04/15/22 06:06 AM
We are awaiting the official report from WISC test. But I was told that my child�s GAI and NVI scores fall in DYS range if they accept 95% confidence intervals. His VECI score was 149. My question is whether confidence intervals are accepted as qualifying scores for DYS or if they are sticklers for the actual median of the interval. I�m hoping his VECI score is acceptable even if his median scores fall a point or so short. His processing speed score seems to pull down the GAI. I can ask for academic testing but if these scores will be enough to qualify- I�d rather not prolong the process.
Posted By: indigo Re: Confidence Intervals - 04/19/22 11:53 PM
Welcome, MM19!
smile

The first five posts of new members are often held for moderation, to prevent spammers and automated bots from overwhelming the forum with ads and off-topic messaging. While waiting for moderation, some new members become discouraged and disappear.

Please stick around, knowing that soon the delay in seeing your posts, will pass.

Test scores are a snapshot at a moment in time, they alone do not tell the full story about a person's intelligence profile. It is my understanding that the DYS application is evaluated holistically. Lead with your best vignettes and nomination/recommendation, in addition to the scores.
More info at the DYS FAQs link: https://www.davidsongifted.org/gifted-programs/young-scholars/young-scholars-faqs/
Posted By: Emigee Re: Confidence Intervals - 04/21/22 03:17 PM
We just applied to DYS and I asked a similar question in a different forum. Several parents of DYS replied and the consensus was that if you have scores that meets the qualification criteria, they will not reject based the score report also including other scores that are not high enough. VECI is listed as one of the scores that qualify on its own, so I think you should be OK to apply without additional testing. Caveat: We don't know the outcome of our application yet, so this is solely based on what other parents told me.
Posted By: galun Re: Confidence Interval - 04/21/22 10:51 PM
Veci stand-alone over 145 meets eligibility requirement. You should be fine.

Don’t over think it. At the end of the day they are a non profit that advocate for eg kids. I feel that they are always trying to be inclusive rather than exclusive.
Posted By: Emigee Re: Confidence Interval - 04/22/22 08:09 PM
We just got the result of our application. DS was accepted and is now a DYS!
Posted By: aeh Re: Confidence Interval - 04/23/22 09:46 PM
Oh yay! Answers that question. smile
Posted By: indigo Re: Confidence Interval - 04/23/22 10:39 PM
Emigee, that's wonderful news. Thanks for sharing. May your family find the support you need to help your gifted child navigate the school years... and also opportunities to help others on their journey.
smile
Posted By: Eagle Mum Re: Confidence Interval - 04/24/22 02:07 AM
Congratulations Emigee - it’s doubly great that your news would also be very heartening for OP.
Posted By: MM19 Re: Confidence Interval - 04/27/22 02:10 AM
I didn�t realize my post had been approved so I�m late to the conversation 😂 Congrats Emigee! That is exciting news!!! We are still waiting for our official report - didn�t realize it would be as long of a waiting game but the report has to be signed off on by multiple psychologists at the University so it�s a process. I�m grateful for everyone�s feedback and we will hopefully apply in May! I�m meeting with our local school administrators tomorrow to discuss gifted advocacy so I am trying to do everything I can to make sure my son has the support he needs!
Posted By: MM19 Re: Confidence Intervals - 04/27/22 02:14 AM
Thanks for explaining that part� I had started to disappear but came back to check and realized my post had been approved 😊
Posted By: Emigee Re: Confidence Interval - 04/27/22 02:44 PM
Thank you, everyone! I've barely begun to explore the DYS program but it already looks like it could be extremely helpful, so I am very grateful DS was admitted.

MM19, I hope you do apply and also have good news for us soon!
Posted By: MM19 Re: Confidence Intervals - 06/09/22 05:52 PM
Thanks Everyone! Got acceptance letter today for DYS!!!!
Posted By: indigo Re: Confidence Intervals - 06/10/22 01:38 AM
Thanks for the update, I'm thrilled to hear your good news.
smile
I hope that the resources and opportunities offered by the DYS program are a wonderful benefit to your family and especially to your gifted one's educational experience and childhood memories.

Future readers of this post may also be interested to read the similar, yet not identical, thread here: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....idence_Intervals_and_DYS.html#Post249645
Posted By: Emigee Re: Confidence Intervals - 06/27/22 09:08 PM
MM19, I just saw this update. Congrats!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum