Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Yanaz Renaissance STAR assessment - 10/10/21 12:37 AM
I’m trying to find more information about Renaissance Star Enterprise reading/math assessment Scaled Scores
My son is 6th grader and his
STAR reading SS is 1125
STAR math SS is 843
Is there any chart with score interpretation?
Posted By: aeh Re: Renaissance STAR assessment - 10/10/21 03:54 AM
This 2017-2018 chart would suggest his math score is at about the 50th %ile for grade 12 fall:

https://www.cde.state.co.us/accountability/star_math_instrument_description_2018

...and about the 50th %ile for grade 10 in reading:

https://www.cde.state.co.us/accountability/star_reading_instrument_description_2018

At least in Colorado.

Here's a more recent document, on the most current edition, with linking studies to the California high-stakes state test:

https://doc.renlearn.com/KMNet/R004490804GK4385.pdf

The levels appear to be somewhat different, with the reading score predicting a level 3 performance on the CA test.

Not sure what version of the test your DC actually took, so it might be difficult to interpret this way. You should receive some kind of parent interpretive guide along with the scores.

One more edit...it looks like the linking scores in the CA tables used the Unified score, whereas you may or may not have the Unified scores. If yours are not, and are converted to Unified scores, it appears likely (but don't take my word for it, as I don't actually have concordance tables; I'm eyeballing this) that reading is at a level 4 vs CA state, and math is at a level 3. I would definitely ask for the interpretive notes to go with the score if you want to understand these better. It exists somewhere...
Posted By: Yanaz Re: Renaissance STAR assessment - 10/10/21 04:43 AM
Thank you for this info)
I asked his teacher if I could get the report. She said that this report is for the teacher to track the child's progress! But I remember that in the previous school I was given such a report.
I looked at this Colorado chart but it seems to me that there will be different chart for California, but I have not found anything for California
Posted By: aeh Re: Renaissance STAR assessment - 10/10/21 02:50 PM
I looked at the California linking document that I added to my last post, and it does have charts for the Enterprise scoring in the appendix, which confirm that reading predicts a level 4, and math a level 3 on the CAASP.
Posted By: aeh Re: Renaissance STAR assessment - 10/10/21 03:16 PM
So I found a technical manual document with the conversion tables for enterprise and unified scoring. I've used the Enterprise scoring for these:

Reading = GE 10.3, 90th %ile, NCE 77.0
Math = GE 12.0, 92nd %ile (first month of grade 6), NCE 79.6

https://www.renaissance.com/act-sat-benchmark-tool/

There's some other stuff on this page too, for predicting ACT/SAT on-track progress, but also three little links to the technical manuals, which is where I found the conversion tables.

HTH
Posted By: Yanaz Re: Renaissance STAR assessment - 10/10/21 04:53 PM
You are professional smile
Thank you!
Posted By: Yanaz Re: Renaissance STAR assessment - 10/11/21 08:29 PM
It is very weird that the math star assesment scores are quite high compared to the one shown in the table “Smarter Balanced achievement level range”
Basically
If the STAR score: GE 12.0, 92nd %ile
Then the Smarter Balanced score should be level 4??
Or am I not right?
Posted By: aeh Re: Renaissance STAR assessment - 10/11/21 09:06 PM
One would think so, but each state sets its own criteria for the four SBAC levels. It would appear that CA has decided that meeting expectations in math requires a higher level of performance than in other states.
Posted By: JudAU Re: Renaissance STAR assessment - 10/21/21 04:33 AM
I think NWEA scores are more interesting and informative because the testing is adaptive. You can sign up as a homeschooler through various sites. It will give you a percentage based on national norms. And the comparison tables are easily found. (But even at the upper levels, it is not predictive at all for tests like ISEE etc.)

The STAR testing is so short as to be negligible and in my experience really variable test to test. Really, it isn’t designed to show any real information other than “adequate or better” or “horribly failing” which is the only thing our district is interested in. If you are trying to speculate on CAASP scores, I don’t think we can this year. The test will be shortened, it hasn’t been given in two years, and honestly it isn’t much of a test for advanced students. We have no idea if they will monkey with it. If you are trying to speculate on your child’s individual achievement or compare that achievement with other children, STAR isn’t good enough to do that.

If you are trying to figure out private school/ISEE scores, Team Tutors offers a pretty reliable free version locally.
Posted By: Yanaz Re: Renaissance STAR assessment - 10/21/21 05:07 AM
Thank you for the clarification! very informative
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum