Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Vate Help With Interpretation of DAS ii scores - 11/15/20 02:31 AM
Can someone please help me understand this big difference in verbal/nonverbal scores?
It�s been almost a year since we tested DS. I did a lot of research, but couldn�t find much info relevant to his combination of scores. Only thing I found is that he is visual spatial learner, but I was wandering if there is anything I can do to help him bridge the gap. Even though he was young at the time we got him tested, results are true representation of his abilities at the time. Psychologist that tested him commented that she noticed some very subtle signs of ASD, but that he was hiding them very well and possible ADHD, but she didn�t see enough signs to be certain. We decided to complete more comprehensive testing once he is older. Gap was explained as - �it means he may have troubles with reading, but being that he can read already he will be fine�. I feel like there is more to it, as I couldn�t find mentions of such a big gap anywhere.
He will be starting a school next year and I would like to understand his needs better now, rather than just waiting to see what kind of struggles he has in school and search for help then. English is my second language, but DS only speaks English. I am not sure if my lack of proficiency in English could effect his learning as for lack of exposure to more complex vocabulary.
I apologize for long post and I appreciate any suggestions and/or advice.

DAS ii

Verbal. 129 97%
Nonverbal 170 99.9%
GCA 156 99.9%

Verbal Comprehension 20 (rs) 65 (ts)
Naming Vocabulary 21 68

Picture Similarities 19 90
Pattern Construction 19 90

K-Seals

Vocabulary 121 92%
#�s, letters, words 145 99.9%
Early Academic Comp 145 99.9%
Language scales
Expressive skills 145 99.9%
Receptive skills 145 99.9%
Posted By: aeh Re: Help With Interpretation of DAS ii scores - 11/30/20 12:25 AM
Welcome!

Your DS has very strong scores all around. I assume he is extremely young, since he is not yet in school. Based only on his scores, there is a limited amount that one can really say, other than that he is very bright. But I can give you some thoughts on what this kind of profile sometimes has meant in other children.

First, clearly, he is extraordinarily gifted all around, but even more so in nonverbal fluid reasoning and visual spatial skills. His language-based thinking skills are also very strong, both expressively and receptively, but not anywhere near the same level as his nonverbal skills. Profiles like his are generally expoected to have exceptional facility in math, but not necessarily weak in reading or writing on an absolute level.

The academic survey tells us a little about his early reading and pre-reading skills, but not much beyond that, as there is very little in the way of math (a little counting and basic quantity concepts). The K-SEALS consists of only three subtests: vocabulary, pre-academics (#s, letters, words), and articulation (producing speech sounds accurately). His vocabulary score is right in line with his verbal cognition. The other scores are ceiling scores, meaning the test doesn't go up any higher, so they may be low estimates of his real skill level.

As to whether his language environment has affected his vocabulary? It is, of course, possible, but if he's reading on his own at this point, I doubt it. Even if it has affected his vocabulary, any delays will rapidly be (probably already have been, since his test was nearly a year ago) erased by reading books well above his age expectation.

Keep in mind also that, especially in this ability range, there is a fine line between viewing a profile as having relative strengths and having relative weaknesses. In other words, is he relatively weak in language, or relatively strong in visual spatial skills?

Bottom line, I wouldn't be concerned about the diversity in his profile this early. If there is any score lowering resulting from his language environment, the nominal gap may close on its own in a couple of years. In any case, young children often develop different aspects of themselves in fits and starts, so I'd be reluctant to put too much weight on a single assessment done before the age of five.

For the moment, the important thing is to enjoy him, provide him with opportunities to explore his interests, and let him experience the joy of learning and discovery through play.

Admittedly, finding a school that suits him academically may be a bit of a challenge, but without knowing your family's situation (which you do not need to share if you prefer not) or the options available to you, it's a bit difficult to offer specific suggestions. You will find that parents on this forum with somewhat similar children have had good experiences with play-based preschool, Montessori, homeschooling, gifted schools, tiny private schools willing to individualize, among other settings. Some have used early entry to kindergarten or first grade, or single subject acceleration, or enrichment (either in school or through resources outside of school).

I would encourage you to take some time to read the resources on the Davidson website, in the Database, to get an idea of the range of possibilities. You may also find it useful to contact your local state Gifted association. (See www.nagc.org for links to state affiliates of the National Association for Gifted Children, and many other informational resources.)
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum