Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Yanaz gifted children - 03/04/20 11:45 PM
Hello everyone ! My baby girl is 18m ! She can read all letters , she can count from 1 to 10 , she can say months ,name all animals and sounds ! She can repeat almost everything you say !Is it normal for this age or it’s some kind of giftedness? 🧐
Posted By: MumOfThree Re: gifted children - 03/04/20 11:58 PM
Hi Yanaz!

What an engaged little person you seem to have. It sounds like she is certainly advanced in developing speech and interaction with you.

When my youngest daughter was this age her speech became less clear, I was worried there was a problem with her tongue or hearing. I took her to the speech therapist and they laughed and laughed and said “she’s not supposed to be talking like that really, this is advanced, she’s not going backwards”. Which perhaps gives you some perspective on expectations of speech at 18 months. Note: I then went to the ENT, her ears were blocked and as soon as she could hear better, her speech clarified again).

Many children who are gifted do show advanced development at this age. The wonderful thing is that for now you don’t have to do anything other than keep on interacting with her and supporting her for a few years yet. If it happens that she’s very advanced when heading to school that can be tricky and cause for some careful planning. But you’ve have some time to just enjoy learning together.

Posted By: Yanaz Re: gifted children - 03/05/20 12:36 AM
😊👍🏻 very funny story😀
I have two more children (10y and 13y) and they were not so advanced, but my DS10 is identified as HGA
Posted By: indigo Re: gifted children - 03/05/20 03:23 AM
Hi Yanaz, your kiddo's development is not typical or common, but it is normal (as opposed to abnormal).

You may have found the following information and links to resources elsewhere on the forum, but just-in-case you have not... and for the benefit of future readers... I am posting this list here in response to your question.

Identification of gifted is not always easy or clear-cut. Especially early on. If you are interested in reading lists of early behavior characteristics and milestones, and comparing them with your own child's development, these links may be helpful:
- Characteristics of intellectually advanced young people
- Parenting Gifted Preschoolers
- NAGC's list borrowed from the book A Parent's Guide to Gifted Children
((The first item on the NAGC list of Common Characteristics of Gifted Individuals is: Unusual alertness, even in infancy)).
- Characteristics and Behaviors of the Gifted
- Characteristics checklist for gifted children
-Tips for Parents: Helping Parents Understand Their Profoundly Gifted Children
- Profiles of the gifted and talented which lists 6 different types, categorized by personality/temperament and achievement
- Bertie Kingore, Ph.D.: High Achieving, Gifted Learner, Creative Thinker? (hat tip to sanne)
- A common trait in gifted children, often listed amongst identifying characteristics, is alternately described as: "advanced moral reasoning", "well developed sense of justice", "moral sensitivity", "advanced ability to think about such abstract ideas as justice and fairness", "empathy", "compassion". Links to lists of gifted characteristics include several articles on the Davidson Database here and here, SENG (Silverman), SENG (Lovecky).
- ages at which gifted children may reach developmental milestones
- thread about Early Milestones - what do they mean?
- SENG video: The Misdiagnosis of Gifted Children
- book: Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnoses of Gifted Children and Adults
- old post with link to article comparing gifted characteristics and ASD characteristics
- post with checklist comparing gifted and ASD traits (hat tip to BananaGirl)
- post with link to Gifted Resource Center of New England (GRCNE) article comparing gifted and ASD traits (hat tip to Nolepharm).

Wishing you all the best with your little one; she may keep you on your toes!
smile
Posted By: Yanaz Re: gifted children - 03/05/20 04:04 AM
Thank you so much 👍🏻
Posted By: MumOfThree Re: gifted children - 03/05/20 07:45 AM
Hi Yanaz, if you have older children and at least one is identified as gifted this increases the probability that a sibling with advanced development may later indeed prove to be gifted. It may be helpful for you to keep some notes on any milestones or incidents that strike you as notable, as you may be asked some years later for examples if a psychological assessment is needed for school placement etc.
Posted By: Yanaz Re: gifted children - 03/05/20 08:52 AM
Ok! Good to know !🤔 Thank you ! 🙂
Posted By: indigo Re: gifted children - 03/05/20 10:09 AM
I just popped in to suggest that you begin to keep documentation of your observations and experiences... as you may need to extract pertinent details from your records, for future advocacy.

LOL, you already know.
Yes, GREAT advice from MumOfThree!
smile
Posted By: Yanaz Re: gifted children - 03/05/20 03:29 PM
I will 👍🏻
Posted By: mecreature Re: gifted children - 03/06/20 02:27 PM
Good advice on the notes. When our son was born someone gave us a book to track milestones, birthdays special events. It was fun to fill out as time went on.

Get ready to answer a million questions and get funny/interesting looks from people who over hear your conversations with the little on.

Try not to get too hung up on labels, just enjoy this time.

You are in the right place here.
Posted By: Yanaz Re: gifted children - 03/06/20 03:33 PM
🙂👍🏻
Posted By: Tigerle Re: gifted children - 03/07/20 09:13 AM
Please read up on “asynchronous development”. It is easy to forget that the kid who talks like a four year old is really still not even two, and has the emotional self regulation skills of a typical toddler (ie none at all), exacerbated by having to integrate so much stuff that they understand intellectually but not emotionally.

Reminding yourself of this periodically really helps on those days you want to scream in frustration in unison with your kids, LOL.
Posted By: Eagle Mum Re: gifted children - 04/08/20 10:55 PM
�Milestones� often don�t reflect the full picture. My eldest daughter walked relatively early at ten months whereas my son was relatively late at 14 months but within one week of taking his first proper step was kicking a ball around with good coordination. WRT speech, my eldest spoke several words before her first birthday and was very articulate by eighteen months. On the other hand, no one had any idea what my son was saying until he was three and one day I just happened to catch something he said and realised he was making a very advanced scientific comment with vocabulary that no one would expect from a three year old. Thereafter, I stopped having preconceived ideas about what he might be saying and really tried to listen to the syllables and put them together. If I still couldn�t understand him, I�d ask him to try and explain his thoughts a different way and he would. To everyone else, he seemed to have flourished overnight, but all along was a highly intelligent individual who was frustrated that no one was bothering to make a connection. When he was about eight, he recalled and described to me his boredom and frustration during his early years.
Posted By: Yanaz Re: gifted children - 04/30/20 08:11 PM
Very interesting 🧐
Posted By: MumOfThree Re: gifted children - 04/30/20 11:54 PM
When my eldest was a baby, under 12 months, but probably not by much, I was visiting with a friend who was a mother of 5, and I know (now) is very gifted herself. My daughter babbled and she said "Oh she's saying "blah blah"" and started talking back to her. I remember politely nodding or smiling, and thinking she was completely crazy to think my baby was talking.

Some years later, in a park with my first two children, I was chatting with a mother of a baby-turning-toddler.... And started talking back to her baby, who was clearly trying to talk to us. The mother clearly thought I was crazy, and gave me the same smile and nod I had used on my friend some years before.

People don't look for what they don't expect to be there, and often either lack the skill (or determination?) to really listen hard to what babies and toddlers are saying. My kids have all had very good diction, exceptional for age, but with child #2 & #3 I was listening and talking back from very very young, so I got accustomed to listening hard to somewhat difficult to interpret speech. 10 years later the skill is fading, but I do still find I am much more able to decipher most small children's speech than other adults, parents are often startled and say they're the only one that can understand their child (or didn't get it themselves)... It's such a shame that there isn't an awareness that babies will be trying SO HARD to communicate and if you work hard you can often figure it out.

I guess it is the same root problem as people with disabilities being incorrectly presumed to be incompetent or incapable. We have such a narrow band of acceptable speech and assume anyone that can't meet that standard doesn't have anything to say (that is meaningful or matters).

Originally Posted by Eagle Mum
‘Milestones’ often don’t reflect the full picture. My eldest daughter walked relatively early at ten months whereas my son was relatively late at 14 months but within one week of taking his first proper step was kicking a ball around with good coordination. WRT speech, my eldest spoke several words before her first birthday and was very articulate by eighteen months. On the other hand, no one had any idea what my son was saying until he was three and one day I just happened to catch something he said and realised he was making a very advanced scientific comment with vocabulary that no one would expect from a three year old. Thereafter, I stopped having preconceived ideas about what he might be saying and really tried to listen to the syllables and put them together. If I still couldn’t understand him, I’d ask him to try and explain his thoughts a different way and he would. To everyone else, he seemed to have flourished overnight, but all along was a highly intelligent individual who was frustrated that no one was bothering to make a connection. When he was about eight, he recalled and described to me his boredom and frustration during his early years.
Posted By: Eagle Mum Re: gifted children - 05/01/20 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by MumOfThree
I guess it is the same root problem as people with disabilities being incorrectly presumed to be incompetent or incapable. We have such a narrow band of acceptable speech and assume anyone that can't meet that standard doesn't have anything to say (that is meaningful or matters).
So true.
Terrible indictment of our society, but definitely true.
Posted By: Eagle Mum Re: gifted children - 05/02/20 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by MumOfThree
It's such a shame that there isn't an awareness that babies will be trying SO HARD to communicate and if you work hard you can often figure it out.

I’m convicted by your post, which in my hindsight, I believe reflects your great insight. Despite her great general ability to articulate, one incident with my eldest sticks out in my memory. Sometime before she was two, I gave her a pair of chopsticks. She delightedly grabbed them and yelled out ‘grums!!’. I told her they were chopsticks but she kept saying ‘grums!’ and started getting frustrated (very rare for her as she was always a delightfully behaved infant). Finally, she started demonstrating the drumming action and the penny dropped for me ‘Oh, drumsticks!’

With my son, I have to admit that I was not a very attentive parent. I worked throughout their childhoods and in my spare time was ferrying my eldest between extracurricular activities. My best friend, who often cared for him, said that the one phrase she always understood was ‘bi bo mi’ for ‘big bottle of milk’ because he would accompany this request with broad gestures of widespread arms followed by hand positions holding a bottle of milk. I feel both proud and sad that as a toddler he had to resort to miming to communicate. His frustrations at getting others to understand him may have led him to be slightly contemptuous of others (including adults) for a few years, but he has turned out to be close to ideal as a teenager. Perhaps our posts might help younger parents to avoid this particular pitfall.
Posted By: MumOfThree Re: gifted children - 05/03/20 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by Eagle Mum
I told her they were chopsticks but she kept saying ‘grums!’ and started getting frustrated (very rare for her as she was always a delightfully behaved infant). Finally, she started demonstrating the drumming action and the penny dropped for me ‘Oh, drumsticks!’

Of course hearing the words is only half the battle... I have a facebook memory that comes back to remind me every year of a conversation with my youngest child while driving one day. She would have been 2.5-3yrs old and kept saying "What does orange say mummy? What does orange say?" It went on and on. I was tired and stressed, and I was driving. So I just kept on driving and making random soothing noises while thinking "What?? WHAT cam she possibly be on about?"

Finally, as we drove into our driveway, she said "Green says GO, red says STOP! What does Orange say mummy?" And I realised that we had started this conversation as we drove through the flashing orange lights of the school crossing...DUH.
Posted By: aquinas Re: gifted children - 05/03/20 06:49 PM
Completely agreed, MoT - there’s a refrain of not respecting the personhood of young children in people who doubt their ability to communicate. To communicate and share one’s mind is innately human, but the bias of a one-up relationship to children still persists in many families.

I remember reading some of Patricia Kuhl’s work on second language acquisition when I was pregnant, and it was remarkable to discover how attuned babies are to making phonemic distinctions between languages before 9 months. That’s a *second* language! IMO, children communicate from their earliest days; it’s on us as adults to be attuned and receptive.

Thanks for this post - it warmed my heart. smile
Posted By: aeh Re: gifted children - 05/04/20 02:06 PM
This actually relates to one of my pet peeves--when adults (often teachers) talk about children (even much older children) in front of them as if they weren't there.
Posted By: MumOfThree Re: gifted children - 05/06/20 03:32 AM
Originally Posted by aeh
This actually relates to one of my pet peeves--when adults (often teachers) talk about children (even much older children) in front of them as if they weren't there.

Indeed!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum