Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
My son was given the WPPSI-IV through the school. I'm not interested in comments on the test but more the scoring. I hear a lot of people refer to their kids as Gifted, Highly Gifted, and Profoundly Gifted. However, I can't seem to find anything specific on how those terms match up with the scores for the WPPSI-IV. Hoagies website has a page on it but it doesn't include the WPPSI-IV. I'm more curious than anything because I am still learning. Does anyone know?
Sorry we didn't see this earlier.

There have been discussions on this over the years, both in informal fora like this, and in the professional realm. The descriptive terms are generally the same across the whole Wechsler family of tests, so the short answer is to feel free to use the descriptive terms listed for the WISC.

The larger discussion includes both more terms and more ambiguity. You will also see Exceptionally (or Extremely) Gifted, typically between HG and PG. Plain or unadorned Gifted is also sometimes referred to as Moderately or Optimally Gifted. The ranges attached to each descriptive category are also not truly standardized, mainly because they depend a bit on the use/existence of extended norms for the upper extreme. And finally, the original use of the terms was in reference to the SBLM, which was a very different type of test from contemporary IQ tests like the Wechslers, or even the newer Stanford-Binets.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum