Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: WAIDWorR Please help with WISC-V scores and ADHD. - 12/06/19 06:32 PM
I hope I do not do a double post, please forgive me if I did...

VCI 121 92 (112-127)
VSI 126 96 (116-132)
FRI 118 88 (110-124)
WMI 97 42 (90-105)
PSI 111 77 (101-119)
FSIQ 122 93 (115-127)

Similarities 14
Vocabulary 14
Block Design 14
Visual Puzzles 15
Matrix Reasoning 14
Figure Weights 12
Digit Span 10
Picture Span 9
Coding 13
Symbol Search 11

Test of Variable Attention (TOVA-8)
(Mean=100, Standard Deviation=15)

Inattention: standard score = 60
Impulsivity: standard score = 58
AD/HD score: -5.87

Student was 7y0m when tested, 7y 10 m now. Has problems being accepted by age group peers at school, the usual for AD/HD. Since the test has been done, student�s mathematical prowess seems to have increased based on the software they have our child use.

There are no pullout programs at school even though she seems talented at math. She knew times tables (to 10) before entering 2nd grade, and the extra math she gets is in the form of software, no extra teaching. Based on the software, she's done with 2nd grade math and halfway through 3rd and part of 4th.

Child is being treated for the AD/HD with typical medicine and is responding extremely well.

Is our child gifted or is she just good at math?
What in the heck is her GAI? Do the variations in the lower battery of scores not allow calculation of GAI?
Is some math-based franchise (i.e. Mathnasium) a good idea?
I�ve read and have been told that our student�s scores are artificially lowered because of the AD/HD and after meds, the scores would increase especially in the working memory and processing speed. Should we have out student retested to try and get our student into T/G classes while on meds?

Should we have our student tested again to reevaluate intelligence to maybe get into a better program?
Any comments would be welcomed, and thank you.

We are simply struggling to do right by our kid. And I have to say, our kid is simply awesome.

Posted By: aeh Re: Please help with WISC-V scores and ADHD. - 12/08/19 12:44 AM
Welcome! I see you figured out the issue of double-posting!

There is a grey area between "gifted, or just good at math". Your child can reasonably be described from the available data as bordering on the GT range, and definitely above average in intelligence. Ability in the range in which your DC scores doesn't have to be nominally GT to result in above average performance in mathematics. Or to need some acceleration in math instruction.

THe GAI is only very slightly different from the FSIQ, which is likely why it was not reported. There really is not all that much variation in the results, as the domains are each fairly tightly clustered internally. Actually, the whole test has a relatively narrow range of subtest scores, especially in the FSIQ (10-14) and GAI (12-14), and neither the highest nor the lowest subtest scores are included in the GAI and FSIQ. The exception is that working memory is generally lower than the other clusters--but that is an expected result with a Dx of ADHD.

It is possible that the results are low estimates, and that scores will rise after treatment for ADHD. I would not, however, recommend retesting immediately, and most definitely not with the same tests; the second administration will not be valid, and any increase in performance would have to be attributed to retest effects, thereby obscuring any possible real effects that might have arisen from improvements in sustained attention. Also, some of the score increases moving from unmedicated ADHD to medicated ADHD are actually real skill growth, that result from more effective access to the learning environment. Those take time and exposure to develop.

Learners ought to be tested no more frequently than 24 months apart with the same instrument. Overtesting encourages flawed decision-making, based on suspect data.

More importantly, does your child experience the educational setting as challenging, engaging, and satisfying? Can further differentiation of math instruction be accomplished in the current setting? Are there other key developmental goals (e.g., peer social interactions) that would be best served by either remaining in or changing the learning environment?
Thank you so much for responding.

"More importantly, does your child experience the educational setting as challenging, engaging, and satisfying? Can further differentiation of math instruction be accomplished in the current setting? Are there other key developmental goals (e.g., peer social interactions) that would be best served by either remaining in or changing the learning environment?"

You really hit on the crux of the matter here and the reason for my posting.

Child complains they have to wait for stuff kiddo already knows to be explained to the other kids. Ends up doodling and coloring. As to social interactions, kiddo seems to be on the outside looking in. Loves school at the moment, but last year was a horrible struggle. There are not a lot of school choices where we are. The public schools here are on the lower end of the U.S. average.

Meds are fantastic. Kiddo has two specific learning disabilities as well.

I'll def wait until kiddo is at least 9 to start thinking about a retest.
Posted By: aeh Re: Please help with WISC-V scores and ADHD. - 12/13/19 10:09 PM
If your DC loves math, you could certainly look into any supplement programs in your area. Families have had success with a range, including Mathnasium, as you say, Kangaroo math, Russian School, math circles, etc. There are other fun math-related activities, too, like LEGO (FLL), school vacation camps at your local science museum, etc.
aeh, thank you very much for your input. I think I have direction.

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum