Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: ss62 Cogat 7 screener - 10/13/16 11:51 PM
Hi,
Can someone throw light on how many questions are there in CogAT 7 Screening form level 7?

I know its not the complete battery and a few questions are asked from each subset to test the child. My first grader just took it. Any information regarding this would help.

Thank you.
Posted By: aeh Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/14/16 02:12 AM
http://www.hmhco.com/hmh-assessments/ability/cogat-7#overview-test-and-times

# of items for Picture/Verbal Analogies, Number Analogies, and Figure Matrices. For each subtest, 2 sample items, followed by 16 regular items.
Posted By: ajinlove Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/14/16 04:54 PM
My DYS DS7 is taking the test with the school as a 2nd grader next week. The link is really helpful. Thank you, aeh.

The school uses the result of the CogAT and two most recent MAP test scores to identify gifted students in the district and these students will be going into LA and/or Math advanced program. I sure hope he will score well enough to get him into the program. Or we will need to use the WISC result to convince the school that he's PG/HG and he needs to be in the program.

aeh - would you be able to explain a little bit more on the different levels (level 5/6-8 and 9-17/18)? Are the levels applied to different age/grade, or are they levels of difficulties of the questions?

Thank you
Posted By: ss62 Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/14/16 05:34 PM
thank you aeh. This link, however, shows the details about the complete battery. The screening form does not provide the full battery, just little parts from each subtest. Do you have an idea how many questions are there in it and how they are scored?
Posted By: hermione Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/14/16 07:39 PM
http://www.thinktonight.com/CogAT_Form_6_vs_CogAT_Form_7_s/438.htm I was interested too and found this which slightly describes when to use different levels. dd took Cogat last year (not sure which level). She found it fun. The main thing she had to work on was timing - getting all the questions complete within the time period.
Posted By: hermione Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/14/16 08:44 PM
On how Cogat is scored...I am going by memory, but each subset has 12-16 questions and the child gets around 20 min to compete each subset. I want to say 2-3 subsets per area (qualitative, quantitative and verbal). They should give you a raw score (number correct, number attempted, total number available), a percentile, and a "scaled" score (I don't remember what it is called). The "scaled" score will look similar to an IQ. The mean is 100 and standard deviation is 15. The ceiling is 150.
Posted By: aeh Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/14/16 10:06 PM
Actually, the screening test is the three subtests I named, in their entirety. They are scored exactly as they are on the full test. You may have gotten the impression that they were only portions of subtests, because they are insufficient to derive area composite scores (verbal, nonverbal, quantitative), and generate only a single screening composite score.

http://www.hmhco.com/~/media/sites/home/hmh-assessments/assessments/cogat/pdf/cogat-screener-page-overview.pdf?la=en
Posted By: aeh Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/14/16 10:08 PM
The CogAT 7 levels are approximate ages, which in our age/grade-locked public educational system, function as proxies for grade level, and thus difficulty.
Posted By: ss62 Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/15/16 10:17 PM
Thank you aeh...so, do you mean to say the screening test has the number of questions as the complete cogat battery?
Posted By: aeh Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/16/16 12:47 AM
The screening test has the same number of questions as the specific subtests from the complete CogAT, which is to say 6 sample items, and 48 test items. The complete CogAT has additional subtests, which means more items:

There are nine subtests, organized into three clusters, in the complete CogAT 7. The screener takes one subtest from each of those clusters. As each of the nine subtests has roughly the same number of items (two have 12 test items, rather than 16), this means the complete test is just under three times the length of the screener. (18 sample items, and 136 test items)
Posted By: ss62 Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/16/16 01:53 AM
Ok, it is clear now. Thank you. So, there are about 48 questions in the screener. I guess he needs to get at least 45 or so right to be in the 98th percentile. am I right?
Also, he says he did not get any paper folding questions etc. I guess that part of the subtest is not included in the screener. Is that true?
Posted By: longcut Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/16/16 05:23 AM
It is hard to say how many he'll need to get right, as that is dependent on norms related to the age of the child at the time of taking the test. One of my DC did not complete all the questions for the quantitative in the allotted time and still scored 98+ percentile on that cluster.
Posted By: aeh Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/16/16 08:24 PM
Regarding paper folding, that is correct, that subtest was not administered.

Regarding the number of items correct, it is not productive to estimate how many correct items he needs for a 98%ile score. It does indeed depend on the age of the child, as well as on the distribution of correct responses across the three subtests administered.
Posted By: ss62 Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/16/16 11:17 PM
Thank you aeh. The info you have provided are very useful.
Posted By: ss62 Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/17/16 12:53 AM
thank you longcut. My kid is 6.9 and he took a cogat 7 level 7. He did not skip any questions.
Posted By: hermione Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/18/16 12:45 AM
Actually, the first time Dd took the test, she only attempted 32 and got around 28 correct. She still got in the low 130s. The second time she took it, she only got one wrong in the section and hit the ceiling for that section. I think it depends on age and test given.
Posted By: ss62 Re: Cogat 7 screener - 10/18/16 05:50 AM
Thank you hermione. that sounds good !!

Early this year, my kid took the CoGat level 6 screener when he was 6.1. He scored a 36 out of 42 questions in total. Still, he scored in 94th percentile or so. The gifted office at school told me that it could be due to the age. He should have been given cogat level 7 as he was already 6.1 then. For this reason, they made him take the cogat level 7 this month when he is 6.9. I hope the scores would improve this time.

aeh, Kindly provide your inputs on this.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum