Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
I couldn't wait until April Fools day to post this, but this is a friend's humorous suggestion for an alternative to the label: 'Gifted'

I think I like Obsessive Knowledge Accumulation Disorder (OKAD)better, but I have a hunch that you will be able to come up with an even better one.

Even though I'm being silly, I think that there is a way in which we parent would like some sympathy for the needs of our kids who are 'beyond Optimally Gifted' and having a label that pathologizes and captures the 'burn to learn' flavor - even in our imaginations - might provide some relief.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Oh, and I think some of us Adults might like a label of our own:
"Tellitlikeitis-itis," anyone?
I think I have "Obfuscation Avoidant Behavior" with aggressive tendencies. grin
Excitability Gravitas: Asynchronous Development Syndrome (EGADS!)
My son just suggested "Novel Experience Retention Disorder" (N.E.R.D.) and "Generally Excessive Educational Knowledge Syndrome" or "Generally Excitable Excessive Knowledge Syndrome" (G.E.E.K.S.)

So far we've also got:
"Multi-Dimensional Obsessive Learning Disorder" (M.O.L.D),

"Focused Obsessive Learning Disorder" (F.O.L.D),

"Hyper Organized Logical Yearning for Cognitively Ordered World-view" (H.O.L.Y. C.O.W),

and "Overactive Highly Generalized Obsessive Logical Labeling Yearning Generating Excessive Excitability" (O.H. G.O.L.L.Y. G.E.E.)

I'm sure more will be forthcoming...
I can't provide a clever acronym, but I have severe BIS (boredom intolerance syndrome).
And here is one to describe many "gifted" program curricula...

Placement Leveled According to Common Erroneous Beliefs of Organization (P.L.A.C.E.B.O.)
Since we can't say "my child is bored" how about B.O.R.E.D. (Beyond Optimal Repetition Elicits Defiance)? Or Daydreaming, Delusion, Damage, Destruction, Deterioration, Devastation...)
...snort...
Aggressive Curiosity with Alienating "know-it-all-syndrome"

(the second part is by
�George Lopez)

Involuntary Rapid Comprehension
Solitary Aggressive Curiosity

I can't think of anything with a cool acronym right now. �GEEK!
You guys made my day.
Originally Posted by La Texican
Involuntary Rapid Comprehension
IRC! Love it - sounds like a gastrointestinal problem

Love these! Hats off to DS o'Aculady!
If we're not careful, this will land us right back where we started:

Generalized Intolerance For Tedious Education Disorder
It just needs an F before the T and we are back to the beginning.
This is my personal diagnosis: Parent Of Obsessive Perfectionistic Educationally Demanding.
(P.O.O.P.E.D.)
This would be my DD11 diagnosis: Wired Academically Repetition Nonaccepting Independently Negotiating Girl. (WARNING)
Oh, my - too funny! My family members and I suffer from all of these - in various degrees.

Caution: Do not read this thread read with hot coffee in mouth!

Stubborn Thoughtful�Under-engaged Kid � STUK
Kid Involuntary craving knowledge (KICK)
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma

Me too. Serious case. BIS, too.

Oh, and ADND (Arguement/discussion non-differentiation disorder)

-Mich
Ah yes, ADND. What's the treatment plan and can we get a group discount?
I got ADND. I never knew it. :)@(:@:)LMAO.
These are great! I normally do not have time to post but this one compelled me to write. I do some public speaking to gifted parents in my community and would love permission to use some of these. I would of course keep your names confidential but thought it appropriate to ask first. Please let me know if I can share your creativity with other parents.

Thank you,
Tara
Feel free to share the signs and symptoms of E.G.A.D.S. compounded by B.O.R.E.D. so parents know what to look for and how to help!
Feel free to use Obfuscation Avoidant Syndrome/Disorder-- with or without aggressive tendendies.

grin

Thanks guys - how about you Grinity?

Tara
My son gives permission for you to use his in any fair-use or non-profit context, but he says that if you are getting paid, he wants his cut. smile
Say what you want about anything I've said. I just hope we can all get treatment for the P.L.A.C.E.B.O. (that one's not mine, it's just my top pick)

Hyper-evolved "why" gene.
aculady, please let your son know that thankfully I do get paid a small honorarium and will certainly respect his wishes - but they were very clever and would only use them with his blessing.

Tara
He's glad you like them. (He'd be even happier if you were willing to pay him a token royalty to use them, but he's very pleased that you are respecting his wishes regarding not using them for commercial purposes without compensation.)

It isn't about you, BTW. He has always had a very clear idea that if someone is going to get paid, even in part, for work that he did, he should get paid for his share of it. He refused to enter the Reading Rainbow Young Writers and Illustrators contest when he was 7, even though he had entered and placed the two previous years, because he read the legalese on the entry form and realized that, if he won, he was signing away all his rights to his story and any derivative works, in exchange for a few books and bragging rights. I believe his words at the time were "What kind of people steal from little kids?"

So he has a long history of aggressively protecting his copyright...

ADND is free to a good home -- I think we need some serious publicity on this tragic condition. Immagine all the small (and large) children (in thier thirties) who could benefit from greater public understanding of these difficulties?

;P

-Mich
aculady,

I also the parent of 2 young and gifted girls, fully appreciate the need to protect the creative works of our children. I of course, in no way, want to disrespect the creativity of your son and completely respect his deserving of compensation (financial or referenced) - which is why I asked for everyone's permission first.

I currently speak to local parents and he can check me out on my website www.Exceptional-Kids.com so he can see what I do.

At this time, I would be proud to display in a powerpoint presentation his creativity and fully reference his works (would need a first name, age and would use 2011). I believe the two that were his were GEEKS and NERD.

I can also make him a promise that if I should ever publish a book (the IAGC articles I have written have not been paid works), and wanted to include his acronymns in there, that I would not only ask him his renewed permission but would discuss financial compensation too smile

With much respect for our young and creative minds,
Tara

He says that sounds good to him. smile

And just to clarify, all of the acronyms I posted were his.

I'll PM you with his info.
Thank you for the clarification and I look forward to sharing his works!

You can email me through my website or if my private email shows up here on the boards that way is good too.

Tara
If you click the flashing envelope at the top of the page, you will find the private message that is already there. smile If you have trouble getting it, I'll e-mail you again, but I am walking out the door and won't have computer access again until late Monday.
Originally Posted by EKids
Thanks guys - how about you Grinity?
Tara
I think that all of these acronyms need to get out and about! This is a public forum BTW, and we need to remember that.
I'd love to see these as a powerpoint!

smiles,
Grinity
I am starting a gifted association and was hoping I could jump on board and use some of these on a blog or website or something? We are not yet non-profit but there is no intention on my behalf to earn any money from this association. It would be great if I could make people smile when they visit or attend or something. Sure made me smile!
Originally Posted by aculady
He's glad you like them. (He'd be even happier if you were willing to pay him a token royalty to use them, but he's very pleased that you are respecting his wishes regarding not using them for commercial purposes without compensation.)
Go LooseMoose! Love that you are starting a Gifted Association, which - to my eye - is clearly different than 'commerical purposes.'
Love these!!! You guys are so clever!

Thought I'd chime although I'm a bit late in the game, and I'm not sure I can match the wit that's already been shown.

We've got a serious case of GOOFS around our house: Glut of Obscure Facts Syndrome.

And for all the bright kids with the wiggles and jiggles out there, I would like teachers to acknowledge that BS IS BS:
Being Smart Isn't Same as Being Still.
A Pleasing Reliable Independent Lackey
Fine Original Obedient Lively Student

BS IS BS
Ack ack ack a
*lol* Happy April Fool's to you, too, La Texican!

Why can't the whole world be like the folks around this board?
These are great!

My contribution isn't quite as good as some of the ones I've read, but I had to share anyway.

S.C.H.O.O.L. - Slight Chance Here for Out of the Ordinary Learning
I love all these! Glad to see April 1st finally caught up to us!

SCHOOL! ((grin))
Originally Posted by Michaela
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma

Me too. Serious case. BIS, too.

Oh, and ADND (Arguement/discussion non-differentiation disorder)

-Mich

Re: This. I inherited kind of a stubborn kid, ok. Fine. He probably inherited it from us. I saw something in an article discussing some different presentations in gifted children kids, including forign kids resist questioning authority while a poor or 2e child could "may manifest that attitude in a challenging or confrontational way. ". That attitude being the gifted charachteristic of a questioning attitude. I'm just quoting it because we all have to find a disciplined balance between the two descriptions. So, anyone know a good academic "debating" primer I can use to train my kids to argue with anybody nicely?

Plus another name for giftedness might be "hyper-headed kid.". Says they're not "smarter" they're paced differently. Plus "hyper" should get sympathy for the mom.
DH coined the term Hyper Learning Disorder. (hopefully no one else has posted this because I did not read through all of the replies!)
WOAH - Weirds Out Adults Handily

OMG - Overactive Mental Goings-on
You (and anyone) are welcome to use Boredom Intolerance Syndrome - I'm serious about it; I ended up in tears in a professional training event in my 30s, having flashbacks to school!
Originally Posted by ColinsMum
You (and anyone) are welcome to use Boredom Intolerance Syndrome - I'm serious about it; I ended up in tears in a professional training event in my 30s, having flashbacks to school!

grin I haven't quite reached tears before, but I get the sentiment. I've tried to explain it to people as being a bit like your whole body being covered in ants, but they look at me like I'm weird, for some reason... wink
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum