Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: TripleB Western Novels and Historical Fiction? - 09/18/15 02:11 PM
My son, 8 years old/4th grade, is getting ready to finish the Heroes of Olympus series of books (has gone through Harry Potter series and Percy Jackson series).

In order to "broaden" the types of books he reads (he wants to start the Fablehaven series next) I would sort of like to throw a 'Western' or 'Historical Fiction' book in there for him to try.

So, are there any fiction books about 'the Wild West' or 'Historical Fiction' books you can recommend that would be on his reading level with appropriate content?

Thank you very much for any and all helpful advice!

TripleB
Posted By: polarbear Re: Western Novels and Historical Fiction? - 09/18/15 03:14 PM
I don't have any western recommendations, but fwiw, the Fablehaven series was extremely popular here when kids were at the Percy Jackson/etc stage smile

polarbear
DS9 was given some Louis L'Amour books (rather, loaned, as his likely PG uncle is attached to them). He seems to like them, although he picks the Warrior cat series over them.
Posted By: indigo Re: Western Novels and Historical Fiction? - 09/18/15 03:37 PM
Oscar's Gift, by Lisa Rivero, a former board member of SENG, and author of several homeschooling books.

The book is based on her Aunt Hattie's Diaries... more about them on Lisa Rivero's website.
Posted By: Dude Re: Western Novels and Historical Fiction? - 09/18/15 04:15 PM
My DD was 8 when she discovered, on her own, "The Missing," an 8-book series by Margaret Peterson Haddix, and she gave them rave reviews... even made me read one. It involves time travel and the kidnapping (and attempts to restore) of famous children throughout history.
Posted By: cmguy Re: Western Novels and Historical Fiction? - 09/18/15 05:00 PM
I have read some Elmer Kelton and liked it a lot. Not sure if all the content is age appropriate (I'm not saying it isn't, I'm just not sure). But he is a highly regarded western writer.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Western Novels and Historical Fiction? - 09/18/15 05:17 PM
By the Great Horn Spoon by Sid Fleischman was one that my DD enjoyed after we visited the site of Sutter's Mill on the American River in Coloma this past summer.
Posted By: suevv Re: Western Novels and Historical Fiction? - 09/18/15 06:31 PM
I'm wondering about Call of the Wild, and White Fang (Jack London)? Pretty intense in parts (which is actually sort of honest since the west pretty violent). But I remember my brother loving them when he was 9-ish.
Posted By: cmguy Re: Western Novels and Historical Fiction? - 09/18/15 07:06 PM
Jack London short stories are also great. I liked "To build a fire".
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Western Novels and Historical Fiction? - 09/18/15 07:08 PM
My DD enjoyed call of the Wild and White Fang a couple of years ago too as did I as a boy! Definite thumbs up on those. LouisL'Amour I enjoyed as a boy too - I liked his narrative style and he covered some interesting times and perspectives on those times. It was from a Louis L'Amour book, I forget which one, that I dscovered the word Java to mean coffee so it is a far from 'new' term.

In fact, I can say that Louis L'Amour books and learning about the Louisiana Purchase and subsequent Lewis and Clark Expedition at school at around 9 or 10 that triggered my interest in the history of the Old West - an interest that I still have :-)

On my life bucket list is a horse camping elk hunt in Colorado so that I can ride some of the trails that I read so much about - and get some quality meat too. Elk meat is pukka tucker indeed. But I digress...
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum