Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Peter ? Lower qualification criteria for CTY - 08/19/13 03:10 PM
Is it me or CTY lower its qualification criteria?

John Hopkins (CTY)'s criteria for qualification for its program in 2nd grade SCAT seems 5 points lower this year. (15 points in 6th grade). I am not certain but admission standard MENSA seems lower than it used to.

Appeal to the broader audience is a good thing but lowering the standard may hurt the reputation of the institution in the long run IMO.

Posted By: Dandy Re: ? Lower qualification criteria for CTY - 08/19/13 05:08 PM
That'd probably make for an interesting conversation with their admissions office. You should check with them directly -- they've always been receptive to any of our questions over the years.

Perhaps they needed to bump the enrollment figures slightly to keep the sessions full? That's my guess.

They already had to close one site this year -- Cal Lutheran -- and combine it with the Loyola Marymount site. Different age groups, but the move still enabled them to share admin overhead.
Posted By: ljoy Re: ? Lower qualification criteria for CTY - 08/19/13 05:53 PM
How do the 2-6 criteria line up with the two levels of 7+? Is it possible they moved to include more 2-6 kids who would later qualify for the lower level of 7+?
Posted By: Val Re: ? Lower qualification criteria for CTY - 08/19/13 06:45 PM
Hmm. I don't know about the younger kids, but the scores for 8th grade are the same as when my DS took the test two years ago.
Posted By: Peter Re: ? Lower qualification criteria for CTY - 08/20/13 03:39 PM
SORRY. My mistake.

I was comparing the cutoff for their Honor award 2 years ago and eligibility criteria for the program this year. The website was redesigned and the info was buried. Award cutoff reamins the same mostly in 2nd-6th grade too.

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum