Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: OHGrandma Political activist on my hands - 07/11/08 12:29 AM
I don't think I'm going to make it until November. crazy GS8 is very vocal about who he thinks we should vote for. He gives detailed reasons for and against each candidate. I have not told him who I'm voting for or my political views specifically about each candidate. He happens to hold similar views as I, but he's driving me crazy!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Political activist on my hands - 07/11/08 12:36 AM
Maybe he needs an outlet--besides you!--for his political views?

Could you come up with a project for him? Or maybe even put him in touch with the campaign of his choice to support them in some fashion? Something that you could help him with, since you are similarly politically inclined? Stuffing envelopes or something?

I just hope he's in fovor of the candidate I like! wink
Posted By: OHGrandma Re: Political activist on my hands - 07/11/08 12:45 AM
That's a good idea, except I had my fill of politics serving on a county mental health board about 6 years ago.

I think I will check around for some political activities for youths.

*edited to add: I specifically left it ambiguous as to our political bent, I don't want to go there! Kriston, I know you were having fun, that's OK.
Posted By: incogneato Re: Political activist on my hands - 07/11/08 12:49 AM
Let's start grooming him to take over the presidency in '28. We need a smart presidential candidate in the hopper.
Posted By: OHGrandma Re: Political activist on my hands - 07/11/08 12:56 AM
He'll have to wait until '36 to meet the age requirement smile
Posted By: incogneato Re: Political activist on my hands - 07/11/08 01:04 AM
No, we'll just file litigation proposing ageism!

All we have to do is demonstrate mental age above 36 at the time.

Piece of cake! whistle
Posted By: Kriston Re: Political activist on my hands - 07/11/08 01:14 AM
Originally Posted by OHGrandma
*edited to add: I specifically left it ambiguous as to our political bent, I don't want to go there!

And *very wisely*, too, I might add!

Yes, I definitely prefer a little mystery in that particular arena! laugh
Posted By: Lori H. Re: Political activist on my hands - 07/11/08 03:16 AM
Sounds similar to my kid. My 10 year old is trying to talk me into buying the PC games Democracy II and President Forever 2008 + Primaries.

He has always gone with me to vote and he used to try to talk me into changing my vote when I didn't agree with him. The last time I went to vote, they remembered him and reminded him that he couldn't say anything while I was voting or he would have to stay outside.
Posted By: OHGrandma Re: Political activist on my hands - 07/11/08 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Lori H.
Sounds similar to my kid. My 10 year old is trying to talk me into buying the PC games Democracy II and President Forever 2008 + Primaries.

He has always gone with me to vote and he used to try to talk me into changing my vote when I didn't agree with him. The last time I went to vote, they remembered him and reminded him that he couldn't say anything while I was voting or he would have to stay outside.

GS8 has gone with me the last 3 years, but they encourage him! One old guy remembers him each time and tries to sign him up to vote, joking of course.

Posted By: Austin Re: Political activist on my hands - 07/11/08 05:44 PM
I don't think I'm going to make it until November. crazy GS8 is very vocal about who he thinks we should vote for. He gives detailed reasons for and against each candidate. I have not told him who I'm voting for or my political views specifically about each candidate. He happens to hold similar views as I, but he's driving me crazy!

LOL!

When I was about the same age I worked on a Presidential political campaign by handing out literature and going door to door and attending the caucus. I made up some campaign slogans and some doggerels which are still pretty funny. I stayed up late for days to watch the coverage of the national conventions/returns and read all the magazines and newspapers on the race.

The next race I argued with my adult relatives about politics and wrote letters to the editor. My GF kicked me out of the house on election night because I would not shut up!!

Posted By: OHGrandma Re: Political activist on my hands - 07/11/08 06:08 PM
Hahaha, I'm assuming GF stands for grandfather in your post. That's what my husband's about to do, kick him out! My husband tends to rely too much on "because I said so", that will not do for GS. You better lay out your reasoning and build your case if you want GS to believe it. GS argue his point quite well, and even if you're on the same side you better be able to handle a good discussion of the topics!

I checked online last night to see if there were going to be any presidential candidates stopping in our area. I figured I'd take him to a speech from either candidate at this point, just to feed his interest in politics. I didn't find anything, but did see on the news that Obama is coming to the area but all the tickets were handed out within an hour.

Maybe I'll check to see who's running at a local level and have him get involved with some of the work behind local campaigns.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Political activist on my hands - 07/11/08 06:20 PM
Local politics are good, I think. He'd have a much better chance to actually make connections with the cadidates and actually make a difference.

I always wrinkle up my nose at people who only vote in presidential elections. It's at the local level that you can actually have an effect.

(But I'm preaching to the choir, obviously. Sorry to just rant!)
Posted By: incogneato Re: Political activist on my hands - 07/11/08 06:49 PM
Good for you OMA! That's so nice that you are willing to do that for GS. Especially after you mentioning that you wanted to take a break from that stuff for awhile.
The things we do for our kids.......grandkids......
Posted By: Austin Re: Political activist on my hands - 07/14/08 06:10 PM
Hahaha, I'm assuming GF stands for grandfather in your post.

Yes, its grandfather. My maternal uncle was openly gay and campaigned for Goldwater and Reagan. The rest of the family was even weirder than that. Needless to say, it got very interesting every other Fall.

BO is staging some pretty large events for which they pay for the venue and then build interest locally prior to the event, so unless you are plugged in to the campaign, you will miss out. JM has been ( or was ) doing more Townhall type things where he piggybacks on already planned events. If you join both's websites, you can then get news of local events.

I think CSPAN will carry both conventions live or semi-live.

This site is pretty good aggregator. Lots of GOOD commentary from both sides. Tell the kid that the polls lie and are to be taken with a grain of salt!!

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum