Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: ABQMom There IS hope - 11/29/11 05:07 PM
This thread is simply to reassure parents who are dealing with under-achieving gifted kids.

After graduating from high school with a stellar 2.5 GPA, my high gifted son informed me this morning that he is on track to earn a 4.0 for his first semester in college. This despite a very full load of 17 hours including two sciences and two math courses towards his mechanical engineering degree.

After a plethora of emails, phone calls and conferences with teachers and counselors over the past 12 years just to keep my son on track, I really worried whether he'd ever get self-motivated and stay on task.

So if you have an under-achiever, don't lose hope. When they care about the outcome, our kiddos CAN put the effort into their work.
Posted By: Kate Re: There IS hope - 11/29/11 08:38 PM
Congrats to your son and what a relief for you!!
Posted By: Madoosa Re: There IS hope - 11/29/11 09:07 PM
what awesome news! congrats to him on finding the inner desire to do this. YAY for you, you must be feeling such a sense of relief.
Posted By: Kvmum Re: There IS hope - 11/29/11 10:06 PM
Congratulations and thanks for letting us know - that does make me feel a little better smile
Posted By: Speechie Re: There IS hope - 11/30/11 03:09 PM
That's super!!
I don't know what changed for your son, but I can share that for me, I did my best work towards the end of undergrad and into grad school when my classes were superfocused on MY interests and finally I got into the meat of things...
Posted By: herenow Re: There IS hope - 11/30/11 03:31 PM
That's great news!!!! Does he have any comment on this change?
Posted By: ABQMom Re: There IS hope - 11/30/11 05:09 PM
Yes, he does, herenow. He says that for the first time he sees what he is learning as something he has chosen for a goal he has for his own future. Before it was mandatory, easy, and mostly annoying.
Posted By: M&Ms Mom Re: There IS hope - 11/30/11 07:35 PM
Congrats! Your news is exactly what I needed to hear today.
Posted By: ABQMom Re: There IS hope - 11/30/11 08:33 PM
Thanks, M&M. I was hoping this would not come off as bragging, because I sincerely meant it as a straw of hope for those who may be struggling with an underachiever. I know I really, really worried some days about what his future would hold if he didn't get motivated and develop a work ethic.
Posted By: 2giftgirls Re: There IS hope - 12/01/11 02:35 PM
that is great! you must feel so happy!

I can echo that too...it's probably better that I didn't know how high school and college would be because I would have been trying to skip all of HS and go straight to college! lol!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum