Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Kriston Input on a decision? - 03/14/08 10:26 PM
Okay, I've been dithering about this for over a week now--which is totally not like me!--and I feel like I need to get some input from the chorus about what to do about DS6's education next year.

We have two reasonably good options available to us, and I'm trying to decide between them:

#1 Part-time home school and part-time at the private GT school
Pros:
  • I will not be solely responsible for DS6's education anymore, and can return to a more usual mom-son relationship
  • DS6 will get some social interaction without my having to be social
  • DS6 will have a more usual school experience, getting used to following directions from other adults, not just from me

Cons:
  • Cost--even part-time, the school is very expensive
  • Driving time--the school is 30 minutes away one-way, and it's in the opposite direction from DS3's preschool; as both pickup times are at roughly the same time, this could satisfy the criteria for "logistical nightmare!"
  • Size--there are only 6 other kids in his class for next year, and that's a combined 2nd/3rd grade class; it's not like this would be a social bonanza for him...

#2 Full-time Home Schooling
Pros:
  • This is DS6's preference
  • Babysitting is a lot cheaper than the private GT school
  • No driving unless I want to drive
  • We've got a year under our belts, and I know what we're doing academically; I like being able to tailor the work to him and him alone
  • We've just started developing what could be lasting friendships with other HSers, and it would be nice to continue those
  • It's been nice to spend more time with DS6--he's fun!
  • DS3 is in preschool 5 afternoons per week, so I won't have to feel like I'm ignoring DS3 some days in order to teach DS6; we'll just have school when DS3 has school.
  • He may be getting used to the system enough that I can have him do more independent work while I get some writing done
  • We have plenty more babysitting help now and for next year (more than one sitter helps!), so I think I can get enough time alone to remain sane.

Cons:
  • What if I can't get enough time alone to remain sane? eek I don't think I can survive another "by the skin of my teeth" year like this one!
  • The neighbor boy will be in full-time 1st grade next year, so it will be harder to get DS6 to go play and leave me alone if I need him to go play
  • I'll still have to be social when he is most of the time, since to get social time for him most of the time, we'll have to go to HSers' events.
  • I worry that DS6 is getting too much of my attention and DS3 isn't getting enough

I think I'm leaning toward HSing full-time, but am I just letting the less-money-and-less-hassle sway me? There is also the fact that I would have greater control over DS6's education and can do exactly what he needs. I'm not 100% sure the school can do that...But the PT arrangement seems like such a good one! Am I nuts to reject what two months ago seemed like the perfect solution!?

Okay, so whaddya think? Mouseketeer roll-call sound off now! wink
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Input on a decision? - 03/14/08 10:51 PM
Kriston - I really don't have any great advice but I did notice that your pro list for full time HSing is the largest list and the pro list for the PT HSing/PT GT school is the smallest.
The biggest thing I think would be getting enough alone time and time to work on your book. But if you considered how much you would be saving by not doing the GT school, maybe you could feel more justified in getting a babysitter more often? Maybe on a regular schedule? (maybe you already have a regular schedule, I don't know) Just to make sure you get enough time to yourself. Also, you could utilize the babysitter for DS6 and do something just with DS3.

Just a few thoughts - hope they help a little at least! smile
Posted By: Lorel Re: Input on a decision? - 03/14/08 10:55 PM
Kriston-

While in theory the half and half is appealing, in practice, it is very difficult, at least for the (few) families I know who have tried it. Basically you end up feeling neither fish nor fowl, and missing out on some of the best parts of both experiences. Still, I think I might be tempted to try it, and know that if it didn't work out, full time homeschooling was always possible.

Can you pay for just one month or one quarter?

What does DS think about the school?

Sorry, not sure any of this is helpful after all. I sound pretty waffley, don't I?
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Input on a decision? - 03/14/08 11:15 PM
I would give the school a try. I think that while you only listed three pros for the school, they are weighty pros.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? And if it doesn't work out you can use full-time HS as a plan B.

Cathy
Posted By: kimck Re: Input on a decision? - 03/14/08 11:56 PM
I think the only 6 kids in the class can be difficult? You know they will be highly GT, right? But depending on personalities and genders that could be wonderful or horrible. I have a friend who sent her daughter to a very high end private school for kindergarten, less than 10 kids in her class. She pulled her by mid-year because she didn't click with anyone socially and was miserable. But if he clicked with someone, it could be great.

The logistics of it sound difficult too! I personally hate our drop off and pick up school routines, so I'm totally biased there. Also - how much time are you going to have after transporation for both the little guys and general errand running? And how much "extra stuff" goes on at school. It seems like our school is always having a festival or a sale that requires time and energy as well.

Is there any way you could lay down the law on getting help to make homeschooling work? I know some people locally who've gotten university students who are art students, or fluent in a foreign language, etc that charge little more than a babysitter to work with their child. You should definitely be hard nosed about YOUR time if you do decide to stick with homeschooling.

Are there any GT homeschooling groups around that might be good additional resources for activities and/or playdates?

These ramblings sound totally homeschool biased. Sorry! I'm trying to be a neutral party here and failing.

Originally Posted by Kriston
It's been nice to spend more time with DS6--he's fun!
This is my favorite reason to homeschool and I totally feel the same way! My 1st grader is such a different kid on the weekends and it gives me warm fuzzies to think he could be that happy every day.

Anyway - I do like the trial option if you can swing it! As long as you don't have to pay the full year upfront. It might be worth it to find out if there's any kind of penalty for dropping out at any point.
Posted By: OHGrandma Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 12:43 AM
Your cons jump out at me.

You're not sure it's going to be socially advantageous to go to school, so that negates one of your 'pros'.

Driving is going to really wear on you, taking away time you would like for yourself.

You are worried you are not giving DS3 enough time, will sending DS6 to school give you more time with DS3, or will it just cut back on time with DS6 and relieve guilt for not being 'fair'?

You enjoy homeschooling, your DS6 is doing well with it and wants to continue. I think your major concerns are getting enough time for yourself and with DS3. What about a home daycare provider for both boys half days, several days/week, so you can get free time, and DS3 continue preschool another year half days?
Posted By: Grinity Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 02:25 AM
Kriston -
I really have to know - do you have to pay for the whole year, us it or not? Lots of independent schools are like that.

I like the idea of sending him for the specials 2 x/week and doing the academics at home, fewer days, less driving, and you don't have to worry about 'is the school doing it right' which is a major stressor - even schools for 'highly gifted' kids generally don't cut it for PG kids. Sorry, I forgot if the combined class would mean that he could do stuff with kids an extra grade above his official grade.

(Does that make sense? Example: DS11 went to a gifted day camp after 2nd grade into a mixed group that contained kids who had just finished 2nd and 3rd grade, plus he's extra young because of the summer birthday, and had a great time. The next year wasn't nearly as much fun.

Tell me about the money, and also when you would have to pay it - I'm thinking that if you can somehow put the babysitting money aside before the school year starts, that maybe you'll be better able to spend it.

Best Wishes,
Grinity
Posted By: Kriston Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 03:00 AM
Such good help! Thanks all! grin grin grin

Originally Posted by EandCmom
But if you considered how much you would be saving by not doing the GT school, maybe you could feel more justified in getting a babysitter more often?

Good point! Yes, I am already getting a sitter more often than I was a few weeks ago when I was stressed out, and I am MUCH happier. I even got time to work on the book this week, so I feel more together about the whole HSing thing. Why, oh why, didn't I think of having more than one sitter before? Now even if one is sick or busy, I get time with the other. SOOOOO sensible!

This sitter arrangement would continue next year, and is the biggest reason why HSing full-time is seeming appealing now, where it did not seem like a great idea a couple of months ago.

Originally Posted by Lorel
While in theory the half and half is appealing, in practice, it is very difficult, at least for the (few) families I know who have tried it.
Can you pay for just one month or one quarter?

What does DS think about the school?

I worry about the "neither/nor" aspect of it. We'll miss out on a lot of fun HS stuff because DS6 is in school, but we won't be 100% part of the school.

There is a 30-day pull-out clause, so if he's not happy in the first 30 days, we can part ways without further cost. But I'm not sure 30 days is really enough time for him to settle in and tell much. He's the sort of kid who adapts slowly. I don't think we can count on getting enough info in 30 days to make a good decision. And having started HSing late this year, I don't love semi-planning to start late next year, as well as potentially burning bridges at a school that might not be right for DS6 now, but may be his best option for 7th grade+.

Oh, and DS6 doesn't love the school, though he seemed to have some fun while he was there. I wouldn't say it's ideal for him. My worry is that it would be close-enough-to-good that he would learn to underachieve, but not so bad a fit that he would act out and show us that he needed more.

Originally Posted by Cathy A
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? And if it doesn't work out you can use full-time HS as a plan B.

Thanks for this, Cathy. I appreciate your perspective here, and it made me think hard, because it doesn't sit right for me, and I had to figure out why not. Imagining taking your advice and "trying it on" was a good exercise, because it felt wrong to me, though I'm not really sure I can articulate why. I think your comment hit me in my "rampant emotionalism" ( wink ), and got me past the overthinking. If it feels wrong, it might be wrong. Useful!

Originally Posted by kimck
I think the only 6 kids in the class can be difficult? You know they will be highly GT, right?

No. The IQ cut-off is 130, so it's not necessarily an HG+ group. I know one of the boys has some behavioral problems, and having seen him "in action," I doubt he's likely to be a good match for my rule-oriented DS6. 3 of the kids are girls, and while DS is not a girl-hater, they're not usually the best match friend-wise with his interest in Transformers and vehicles. That means that the pool for serious friendships in the school is probably down to 2 boys. Not great odds there...

HSing has much more unlimited friendship potential, assuming I'm willing to put out the effort to get him with kids. I can name at least 4 boys off the top of my head whom I know he likes and who would be available for playdates, and there are lots of other potenials in the HS group that we haven't made the effort with yet...but he wouldn't see them as often as he'd get to see the kids at the school. So is once a week playdates with more choices for friends a better pick, or is 3 days a week with only 2 possibilities for friends better?

I must admit, I'm leaning toward HSing there.

Is there any way you could lay down the law on getting help to make homeschooling work?
Are there any GT homeschooling groups around that might be good additional resources for activities and/or playdates?

I think that if I teach DS6 every afternoon when DS3 is in preschool, it will be pretty painless. This year, our easiest and most productive days are easily W-F, when DS3 is in preschool. If I get 3-4 mornings per week to myself next year to write and/or run errands, then I can be happy with that.

Actually, the place I hope to double up is not the teaching, but the social time/babysitter time. If I can have the sitter take the kids to something social or keep an eye on a playdate (even if I stay in the house to write in order to enable this scenario), that would be great! Then the kids get to be social and I don't have to manage it.

I don't know of any GT HS groups. He has two GT friends, with potential for another couple if we can arrange some driving to cultivate them. There's one GT group that's possibly forming, but if it happens it will be pretty far away. I'm not sure it's worth it. There are a number of GT kids in the HS group I'm a part of, but I don't know if they're vanilla GT or HG+ or what. To tell you the truth, I'm hoping that once I get access to the DYS website, maybe we'll find someone nearby! I hope, I hope...

Originally Posted by OHGrandma
Your cons jump out at me.
You are worried you are not giving DS3 enough time, will sending DS6 to school give you more time with DS3, or will it just cut back on time with DS6 and relieve guilt for not being 'fair'?

OHG, your post rang a lot of bells with me! I think you're right that the cons are the key. The pros are too wishy-washy. The cons are a known quantity. Least-worst option, right?

I think you are also right about the guilt factor re: DS3, though I hadn't realized that might be what was going on (and why school didn't seem to sit quite right with me) until I read your post. I had a bit of an "aha" moment, so I think you hit on something there. Hmmm... Nice head-shrinking! Is our time almost up? Do I pay you by the hour for that good work? laugh

Originally Posted by OHGrandma
You enjoy homeschooling, your DS6 is doing well with it and wants to continue. I think your major concerns are getting enough time for yourself and with DS3. What about a home daycare provider for both boys half days, several days/week, so you can get free time, and DS3 continue preschool another year half days?

This is pretty much the solution we've worked out with the sitters, and it does seem to make the most sense.

DH and I just talked about our options, and between the conversation here and the talk with him, I think HSing full-time is seeming to be the logical choice. I'm still nervous, mainly because this was not an easy year for me, so choosing to try HSing again is a little scary. But I KNOW I have a much better idea about what our/his needs are and what our/my limits are than I had this year. I was utterly unprepared at the start of this year--it was truly emergency HSing!--but I won't be unprepared at the start of next year. I have lots of time to plan. We can arrange weekly standing playdates at the start of the year so that the friendship question is not so daunting.

I'm babbling now, but basically I think we've made the decision to HS full-time, and I think it's the right choice.

Thank you!!! laugh laugh laugh laugh

Thanks for all the input and thought-provoking questions. The comments helped SO MUCH!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 03:12 AM
laugh LOL! I'm just glad I could help with advice that feels wrong! wink

Cathy
Posted By: Kriston Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 03:13 AM
Grinity, my mega-post meant that we crossposted.

Money is big. Let's just say that I can pay for roughly 700 hours of babysitting for both kids for the cost of the school 3X per week. That would be about 22 hours of babysitting per week (school year only), and I won't want that much! So I'd rather use the considerable cash for babysitting, I think.

The 2x weekly extras are not very appealing to me because the school is so expensive. We have access to similar quality extras (art, music, foreign language, P.E.) for a whole lot less $$$ from other providers. The minimal social interaction he'd get at the school is only worth it to me if the academic stuff is taken care of, I think. Otherwise I think I'll do all the work and still pay them a bunch. :p

We'd have to pay the school up front for a semester, though I think they pro-rate it if we only last 30 days or less.

It is a mixed age class, but I don't know how many are in the grade above or how long that would last. He wouldn't be the youngest child in the class (there's one who started this year in K and "skipped" midyear, basically just so she could stay with the class and not get left back with new kids next year), but the work didn't seem like it would be a stretch for DS6 at all, even with the older kids in the class with him. We might still have to consider a grade skip at the GT school, and I think we could avoid that if we HS.

Ugh.

Anyway, thanks!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 03:15 AM
Originally Posted by Cathy A
laugh LOL! I'm just glad I could help with advice that feels wrong! wink

Cathy

LOL! I know. I hope I don't make you feel bad by saying that. It was really pivotal advice you offered! I don't think I'd done a "gut-check," and your post prompted one.

Maybe not what you intended, but wicked helpful anyway! wink
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 03:22 AM
I don't feel bad. I'm just glad you got things figured out.

Cathy
Posted By: Kriston Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 03:24 AM
Good. I was worried you'd think I was blowing you off, but I wasn't. It really made me think! smile
Posted By: Grinity Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 03:28 AM
Excellent Kriston!
I'm glad to hear that you will try homeschooling next year. Funny - OHG's 'guilt' quote hit home with me, but I didn't want it to look like we were ganging up on you. It wasn't a 'yeah, that sounds like Kriston' moment, it was a 'yeah, I'd be doing that if I were in Kriston's situation' moment anyway.

Seems to me that holding off on that school for later when your DS really needs it makes plenty of sense. And having babysitters be the playdate supervisors makes perfect sense. Also, I'll bet that by the middle of next year you will be close enought that at least some of the playdates are 'dump and run' style.

I'm suprised that you couldn't put into words what 'felt wrong' about trying the school and using homeschooling as a back up - don't you remember what it was like to
a) have a crisis on your hands and have to emergency homeschool
and
b) trying to monitor if the situation is 'normal settling in pains' or 'the begining of a really bad end story.' UG! it's like the meta-relationship were you are about to break up with your boyfriend, and spend all your time together talking about 'the relationship.' Ug!

Enjoy Homeschool year 2!
Grinity
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 03:40 AM
Yea Kriston! I'm glad you've found what feels right to you. smile

I'm loving the book kcab recommended that talks about not trying to be equal or fair to our kids but to give each kid what they need when they need it. And I think that is exactly what you are doing. And fantastic about the babysitter situation. Now you'll have time to work on your book when you want to!!!

Definitely enjoy home school year 2!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 03:52 AM
Originally Posted by Grinity
Funny - OHG's 'guilt' quote hit home with me, but I didn't want it to look like we were ganging up on you. It wasn't a 'yeah, that sounds like Kriston' moment, it was a 'yeah, I'd be doing that if I were in Kriston's situation' moment anyway.

LOL! It does sound like me though. I mean, I DID put up a whole thread about that very subject essentially. Could I BE any more obvious!?! Duh! Really good catch, OHG!

I'm suprised that you couldn't put into words what 'felt wrong' about trying the school and using homeschooling as a back up - don't you remember what it was like to
a) have a crisis on your hands and have to emergency homeschool
and
b) trying to monitor if the situation is 'normal settling in pains' or 'the begining of a really bad end story.' UG! it's like the meta-relationship were you are about to break up with your boyfriend, and spend all your time together talking about 'the relationship.' Ug!

LMAO! You're so right! I can't really deal with that again.

D'ya know, when I requested that the teacher return DS6's school stuff to us, she said she hadn't taken down a drawing he made because she was "hoping for some closure."

A friend of mine heard this and joked, "OMG! You broke up with your son's teacher! I didn't even know you two were dating!"

I laughed and laughed and laughed!!!! Closure? Really? Ugh!!!
Posted By: Grinity Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 11:18 AM
Rememrber my DS11's 'bottom' in 2nd grade? Towards the very end of the year, I was doing a little 'relationship building' listen to her complain about DS's behavior in class, and the thought that flashed through my mind was,

"sure, she sounds bitter now, but a few months after the Divorce she'll regain her perspective."

At the same time I realized that what my mind was trying to say was: "sure she sounds bitter now, but a few months after the school year, when she doesn't have to deal with DS every day, she will remember his good qualities and regain her perspective."

But she did sound just like a few friends who were going through that last sprint before they could get their divorces off of their minds! In 2nd grade! And I was convinsed that she cared deeply about him, but just couldn't overcome her preconceptions that a kid who was bright would act a particular way. She was an 'old school' lady, who thought that the idea of 'asynchrony' was just coddling. I'm giggling about that now.

One thing about reality is that you can really hurt yourself by denying it!

The unfunny thing is what it cosst my DS to spend an entire school year in a classroom with a teacher who was constantly dissapointed in him, and was open enough that the classmates followed suit, and he came to believe her as well. How deeply this still affects him is hard to know - but whenever I hear about you, Kriston, actually taking action to get your son OUT of his bad situation, I tear up to be SO glad that someone had more sense than I did! And that in some small way I've been able to help both with direct advice, and by helping build this cyberplace where you can speak your mind. I went through 2nd grade with no idea what was going on, no YSP, no friends with PG kids, no family with more than MG experience, and none of you!

Of couse it hasn't escaped my notice that although 2nd grade was terribly hard on him and came at a great cost, who knows but perhaps in the furture it will turn out to have been very important for my DS. Still I wouldn't wish in on Cathy A's letterwriter!

Big proud smile,
Grinity
Posted By: kimck Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 04:34 PM
Excellent Kriston! I bet it's a load off your mind not to think about it anymore and to be able to start planning. You're all ready so much better off by not being in an emergency situation and able to plan it out. Congratulations. It's good to know you'll still be a full time homeschooling resource! When you're not writing of course. smile

We are a step closer to homeschooling at our house. We decided NOT to reapply to our GT magnet for next fall (deadline was last week). Too many mixed reviews for HG+ kids out of there.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 08:25 PM
One thing about reality is that you can really hurt yourself by denying it!

The unfunny thing is what it cosst my DS to spend an entire school year in a classroom with a teacher who was constantly dissapointed in him, and was open enough that the classmates followed suit, and he came to believe her as well. How deeply this still affects him is hard to know - but whenever I hear about you, Kriston, actually taking action to get your son OUT of his bad situation, I tear up to be SO glad that someone had more sense than I did! And that in some small way I've been able to help both with direct advice, and by helping build this cyberplace where you can speak your mind. I went through 2nd grade with no idea what was going on, no YSP, no friends with PG kids, no family with more than MG experience, and none of you!

I wish we had been there for you, Grinity! The strength and wisdom you had to get through it alone just amaze me. I don't know what I would have done. And for you to share with the rest of us so we don't have to go it alone is just so wonderful!

What makes me tear up is thinking about the community that we have here. I rely on it so much! I appreciate the sharing of experiences by those who have BTDT, and I can't imagine what I'd do without it.

I will say, however, that I don't think my taking DS6 out of a bad situation has to do with my having "more sense." I think I just have less patience and a lesser capacity to deal with people constructively than you do. Not necessarily good character traits most of the time, but it worked out okay for us in this instance. wink I just don't have any patience for GT deny-ers: those teachers and administrators who simply cannot/will not recognize the existence of GT kids. My child exists, and if you cannot see him for what he is, then you don't need to be responsible for his education.

More than a little anti-social, but I think I'm okay with that!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 08:27 PM
We are a step closer to homeschooling at our house. We decided NOT to reapply to our GT magnet for next fall (deadline was last week). Too many mixed reviews for HG+ kids out of there.

Do tell? So does that mean HSing is official or is there some other option you may go with?
Posted By: kimck Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 10:43 PM
I guess we haven't officially publicly declared it, but I think it's pretty much a done deal. We've just been too busy to sit down and talk about it all the way through! We were just saying in passing yesterday that we have a parent teacher conference for DS during the day on Thursday of this week and we both agreed my DH shouldn't pull himself out of work for it. Both our expectations are basically at zero. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a report that DS's generally good and sunny behavoir is slipping. And I'm sure his report card will be "AS EXPECTED" across the board. crazy
Posted By: Jamie Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 11:02 PM
No advice to offer, but wanted to say I've enjoyed this discussion. We are considering pulling our kids out of public school and homeschooling them next school year. I am still weighing the pros and cons so this was a timely thread for me.
Posted By: Ann Re: Input on a decision? - 03/15/08 11:03 PM
And I'm sure his report card will be "AS EXPECTED" across the board. crazy

Do they really write "as expected" on report cards? Ditto crazy
Posted By: kimck Re: Input on a decision? - 03/16/08 12:10 AM
Yes - evidently all first graders at our school are expected to read at jr. high level and question the teacher on when square roots and negative numbers are coming. So it makes perfect sense to write "AS EXPECTED" on their report cards. crazy crazy crazy I'm just glad I'm able to volunteer in the classroom so I know where reality really sits. Our school likes to advertise that 40% of it's student body is GT. 5 kids out of 26 in DS's class are ahead of grade level in reading. And that's reading from 2nd grade level on up. No one is within 2 years of DS for reading level.

I haven't jumped on your thread Ann, but I'm thinking of you. Take care.
Posted By: Ann Re: Input on a decision? - 03/16/08 02:09 AM
Yes - evidently all first graders at our school are expected to read at jr. high level and question the teacher on when square roots and negative numbers are coming. So it makes perfect sense to write "AS EXPECTED" on their report cards. crazy crazy crazy I'm just glad I'm able to volunteer in the classroom so I know where reality really sits. Our school likes to advertise that 40% of it's student body is GT. 5 kids out of 26 in DS's class are ahead of grade level in reading. And that's reading from 2nd grade level on up. No one is within 2 years of DS for reading level.

I haven't jumped on your thread Ann, but I'm thinking of you. Take care.

I don't know what to say. The "as expected" has me shaking my head in disbelief. Now that's whay I call not-so-helpful feedback. I'm also glad that you are able to get an honest assessment through your volunteer work. Sounds like the school is doing some sort of new math w/ their marketing. I'm glad you are going to be able to homeschool. I know you'll be GREAT at it! grin

No problem and thanks... I'd much rather read other threads than my own. I'm trying to snap myself out of the funk I'm in. {{{hugs}}}

Posted By: acs Re: Input on a decision? - 03/16/08 03:28 AM
I have had people use something similar to "As Expected" on DS's report card. But typically the teacher explains that for her that means that DS is making progress appropriate to his innate abilities, not that he is typical for the kids in his grade. As expected means the teacher feels DS is not stagnating. But I think it is a good sign that my DS's teacher explain this to us!
Posted By: Ann Re: Input on a decision? - 03/16/08 04:01 AM
Originally Posted by acs
But I think it is a good sign that my DS's teacher explain this to us!
I agree!

In Dec. I met w/ DS2's teachers to discuss his "performance assessment checklist." I'm not sure how they answered some of the questions let alone how they finished the assessments for the entire class. The checklist is 7 pages long. After our parent/teacher meeting I looked at the checklist again. It took me a long time to think of situations/examples to justify how I'd answer a question. And that was just one kid! I'll have to think of a nice non-confrontational way to ask them how they complete (honest) assessments of each child before our next meeting.
Posted By: delbows Re: Input on a decision? - 03/16/08 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jamie
No advice to offer, but wanted to say I've enjoyed this discussion. We are considering pulling our kids out of public school and homeschooling them next school year. I am still weighing the pros and cons so this was a timely thread for me.

This discussion is timely for us also. Our daughter will start (a yet to be determined) high school next year. Our son�s school recently informed us that they wouldn�t know until next fall whether DS will be allowed to progress to ALG1 next year as it will depend on class scheduling rather than his apparent talent and interest in math.

I guess my advice would be to home-school now and save the private school tuition for when your children�s abilities surpass your expertise and ability to instruct them at a level of challenge.
Posted By: kimck Re: Input on a decision? - 03/16/08 12:57 PM
That is a good sign acs that your teacher would take time to explain that and what it means for your son.

Our teacher last year at least wrote notes that would say - "well ahead of grade level". This teacher seems so overwhelmed. She also encourages parents to bring their children to their conference, which I'm not particularly fond of either. We didn't last time.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Input on a decision? - 03/16/08 02:42 PM
If I can do anything to help you with the transition, kimck, please let me know. I understand what a big step it is, and heaven knows, I asked a lot of questions as I made the transition.

You know where to find me! smile

Posted By: delbows Re: Input on a decision? - 03/16/08 05:42 PM
Thanks Dottie. As Cym mentions elsewhere, even grandparents often don�t understand the issue.
Posted By: LMom Re: Input on a decision? - 03/17/08 02:17 AM
Kriston, I am glad you figured out what you want to do. I say go for it, at least you know what you are getting into as opposed to me.

Kimck, looks like lots of new hs on this board next year. Kriston will be old pro and give us all lectures wink

Delbows, depends on the schedule? Unbelievable, yeah, who cares how much he knows frown
Posted By: Kriston Re: Input on a decision? - 03/17/08 06:18 AM
Old, yes. Pro, no! wink

It does seem like lots of people are at least seriously considering HSing for next year. Interesting...
Posted By: incogneato Re: Input on a decision? - 03/17/08 12:26 PM
As I had mentioned, we have a meeting at school tomorrow for DD5. After much thought and family discussion, I am planning on asking them to allow her to attend school for specials only in first grade and re-assess for second. I hope they go for it because DD5 would still like to be at school for part of the time. From what another hs mom has told me, they are compelled legally to offer this option because of state regulations. I'm not sure about that, but I plan to ask nicely first, then research the legalitites of the situation if I have to.

Incog
Posted By: Kriston Re: Input on a decision? - 03/17/08 01:16 PM
Can you do a quick web search, just so you're not walking in blind? I'd help you, but I'm not sure what state you're in. Try this site:

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/directory/Legalities.htm

It's pretty comprehensive.

I hope the meeting is friendly and productive and meets all your DD's needs. smile
Posted By: kimck Re: Input on a decision? - 03/17/08 01:49 PM
That sounds great if you can work it out 'Neato! Good luck.
Posted By: incogneato Re: Input on a decision? - 03/17/08 01:59 PM
Thanks Kriston, Kim. Thanks for that link Kriston. I have to do a little more research, but that link demonstrated that my state requires schooling for 7 through 17. Since DD5 won't even be 7 till the summer after first grade, I don't think I will have to file a statement of withdrawl until then which makes it all the more enticing!

Incog
Posted By: Kriston Re: Input on a decision? - 03/17/08 03:09 PM
Oh, good, 'Neato! Even better! Sometime it really pays to do 2 minutes' worth of research. I'm glad that was the case here! laugh
Posted By: elh0706 Re: Input on a decision? - 03/17/08 05:26 PM
Add us to the list of seriously considering home schooling next year. DS's 2E issues are making school a really hard fit. DH almost agreed in shock when he learned this weekend that DS's school does not even study science in third grade at all. Unfortunately,our district does not allow HS children to participate in any specials that occur during the school day. He would be allowed to be on team sports at the Junior high and high school level once he gets to that age range.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum