Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: crisc Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 05:00 PM
We need a new thread for the when the mail starts to arrive today.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 05:02 PM
I feel like I've been waiting so long, I've gotten to the point that I'm dreading the end of the wait. I've worked myself up into worry about the results, whereas I was quite calm and relaxed when I first sent off the application.

The 6+ week wait for Explore now seems utterly brutal to me!

*sigh*
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 05:05 PM
..and so many 25s (26s!) in the Explore scores. Those are heavier, aren't they? wink
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 05:06 PM
P.S. Let the cluttering begin! I'm going to do my part! grin
Posted By: questions Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 05:08 PM
Having gone through the months long private schools admissions process, I have to say that I am impressed that DYS can and does get its answers out so quickly. Of course, that doesn't make the wait any easier when you know the letter's in the mail...

Good luck to everyone waiting on the mail today. I just heard our mail truck pull up, but I'm only expecting bills today.

And again, Cathy A, the more information letter is not a bad thing. But I agree, it's tough trying to figure out what to send.
Posted By: crisc Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 05:24 PM
That sucks. They need to have online score look-ups for those kinds of tests.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Dottie
Well....I can take $5.00 off of a big fat Build-A-Bear elephant wearing a pink dress (????????), not to mention 2 free lawn care applications. Why am I not happier?

I can't imagine. Some people are just never satisfied...

LMAO!!! grin grin grin
Posted By: crisc Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 05:57 PM
Did you shovel a path for your mailman Kriston?
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 06:01 PM
LOL! We didn't have to because they drive right up to the mailbox. DH did shovel out a path to the mailbox for me though. He knew I'd be racing to the box today!

Though, really, I'm dreading the results now. I don't think I even want to know...

Dottie, I think I need to get my big-girl pants back from you for this wait. I'm losing my cool!

And I've done so well all along, too. Really, I have! frown
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 06:09 PM
Nice buns!
Posted By: incogneato Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 07:02 PM
Hi all,

I just got the mail. DD8 was not accepted for DYS. The WIAT results I sent in were just shy of 99.9 and they stated that and the portfolio examples were not sufficient in demonstrating she is funcioning at the level they require for acceptance.
The letter welcomed us to re-apply in 6 months if we have achievement test scores that demonstrates her level of precocity.

Incog
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 07:03 PM
Oh, man, 'Neato. I'm sorry! frown

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}
Posted By: incogneato Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 07:09 PM
Thanks!!!!!!!!
Somewhat disappointed, but that's okay. We may try for the Woodcock, because, DD loves tests and asked if she could take another one after the WIAT.

We'll see. In the meantime, I've gotten so much out of this forum to help her, I am glad I went throught the process!!

Also, Davidson sent along a very nice additional letter of great resources to use for advocation and such.

smile

Incog
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 07:12 PM
I do hope you'll try again. <patting shoulder>
Posted By: questions Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 07:13 PM
Wow, I'm so disappointed for you. That 0.3 percentile difference sounds like it could be have been in your favor on another day. I admire your attitude!
Posted By: czechdrum Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 07:24 PM
Oh man, I would be really disappointed, too. I think you have an excellent outlook, though. And it's great that your dd will enjoy taking another test...that is probably the approach I'd take in your shoes.

No mail here yet, but it should arrive in the next hour or two. I don't even want to leave the house. (pathetic!)

Tara
Posted By: LMom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 07:29 PM
I'm sorry incogneato frown May be another test on another day will do the trick.
Posted By: kimck Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 07:33 PM
Oh 'neato, I'm so sorry! How disappointing.
Posted By: delbows Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 07:49 PM
Incogneato,

Your dd is so young and so close. Whether or not she is admitted at a later date, given her intelligence and her advocate mom, she will do great!
Posted By: kimck Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 07:50 PM
DYS should send free T-shirts or something just for trying! 'Neato, you do realize how high it is just to be close, right? Now...go have some chocolate!

No kidding! When I hear about kid's like 'Neato's daughter not getting in I feel like I shouldn't even be hanging out on this board. It is really such a fine and difficult line that they have to draw.

Here's to some quick mail for the rest of you!
Posted By: Mia Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 07:54 PM
oh, so sorry, 'neato. That was the letter we got in January.

Still got my fingers crossed for Kriston and all others this month...
Posted By: czechdrum Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 07:58 PM
4pm and still no mail! cry
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 08:00 PM
Ours came...and DS6 is in!

Naturally, I'm happy! It's bittersweet though, with 'Neato's news...
Posted By: Mommy2myEm Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 08:01 PM
I knew it was a matter of time until all this waiting got its own thread!! I pretended to work a little today to make the time go faster. Next year we are thinking of homeschooling and I have to find other distractions for the wait...

Our mail did not run yet, but we have to leave soon for afterschool activities, which will make my wait even longer...

Here's hoping tomorrow is the day for everyone (except for me there is still hope today, LOL)

Jen
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 08:02 PM
Yippeee Kriston!!!! Great news!
Posted By: Mommy2myEm Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Kriston
Ours came...and DS6 is in!

Naturally, I'm happy! It's bittersweet though, with 'Neato's news...

Great news, Kriston. Since we have not applied yet (hoping the Explore scores will help us decide if we should) I was curious what the next step with them is? Once you have been accepted, what is usually the immediate and long term help mentioned?

Sorry 'Neato, she was so close, but hopefully the next test will be better suited for her.

Jen
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 08:09 PM
Well, first I have to fill out a 6-page enrollment form, so there are no immediate services yet...

Maybe one of the "old hands" would be better to answer the question than I, since I just opened the envelope literally minutes ago! grin
Posted By: Ann Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 08:17 PM
Although I'd prefer to send the real thing... here's a BIG slice of cyber chocolate cake for Incog and Kriston. The two of you are wonderful mothers with amazing kids.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 08:23 PM
I second that about 'Neato. And if she wants, she can have my cake.

Now THAT'S love! smile
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 08:27 PM
Congratulations to Kriston's DS!

Incogneato, it sounds like "no" isn't really, "no". They are just waiting for the right data...

Cathy
Posted By: kimck Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 08:30 PM
Great news Kriston! Glad we got some good news on this thread.

I didn't know Explore scores would work for Davidson? Anyone done that with success? Maybe we'll try that in a couple years. We haven't come up with a good enough excuse to spend the big bucks to get DS fully assessed (he hit the ceiling on part of the NNAT). If we were committed to staying at our current school, we might.
Posted By: czechdrum Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 08:33 PM
I got the mail (fiiiiinally!) and our DS8 was accepted. grin

Tara
Posted By: delbows Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 08:34 PM
Wow! Great news Tara and Kriston!
Posted By: questions Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 08:36 PM
Congratulations, Kriston and Tara. Here's hoping Incogneato's and Cathy A's children all get in down the road. All the best!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 08:36 PM
Woo Hoo, Tara's DS!
Posted By: LMom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 08:43 PM
Congratulations Kriston and Tara!!! The wait was worth it. At least you are ready for the next round of waiting to get everything set up smile
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 08:47 PM
Yay, Tara!

I'm so glad you're in! Not only for your son's sake, but because I didn't want Dottie to have to pull her son from the program, as she's threatened to do if your DS didn't get in!

laugh
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 09:00 PM
I'd have reminded you.

<3
Posted By: czechdrum Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 09:04 PM
Whew! I'm glad I didn't start a melee. shocked

Tara
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 09:11 PM
Nah, Dottie was just so sure your DS is PG, Tara, that she was certain he should get in.

Luckily, DYS agreed and now Dottie can stay.

However, I'm always happy to have any excuse for mooning Dottie. It brings great joy to my simple life.

P.S. Aside from my DH, I've never actually mooned anyone in my life. And DHs don't count since they generally like that sort of thing.

I just wanted to make that clear. In cyberspace, though, it's kind of fun to do!
Posted By: incogneato Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 09:14 PM
Just got back in.

CONGRATS KRISTON, TARA, AND DS'S!

Wonderful news, I'm very happy for you!

Incog
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 09:15 PM
Thanks, friend. smile
Posted By: elh0706 Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 09:16 PM
Congratulations to Tara and Kristin's children and to their parents.

I really hope that everyone else either is able to get in next time!
Posted By: czechdrum Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 09:17 PM
Thanks 'neato.

Tara
Posted By: Lorel Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 09:34 PM
Neato, I am sorry it didn't work out this time, but I'm sure you knew it was a dicey thing with that particular test score. Your child is still amazing and brilliant, whether or not a YS. And DO follow up in six months and see what happens!

Kriston and Czechdrum, congrats to the newest YS kids!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 09:40 PM
Thanks, Lorel. smile
Posted By: czechdrum Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 10:15 PM
Thanks Lorel! smile
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 10:18 PM
Ain't that the truth! They ought to hand out chocolate to anyone who fills out the dang thing!
Posted By: kimck Re: Mailman updates? - 03/10/08 11:11 PM
Hooray - more good news Tara!

And thanks for the DYS info, Dottie!
Posted By: crisc Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 12:03 AM
Congrats to Kriston, Czechdrum, and their children! I am also sorry to those that got the other letters requesting more info or encouragement to reapply with more data.

Now the wait for March begins!! Did/Is anyone applying and waiting with me?
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 12:05 AM
I'll be thinking of you, crisc! smile
Posted By: OHGrandma Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 12:45 AM
Congratulations to those who were accepted, and best wishes for those who will be supplying additional information now and for the next submission.
Posted By: Mommy2myEm Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 01:00 AM
Our wait is over!!! Our Explore scores are in. DD9 did very well, but her scores surprised me. Science was the highest, then English, Reading and lowest was math. All are above DYS guidelines and taking into consideration we really don't afterschool or prep, I'm pleased.

We got the national comparison and DD got a kick out of the fact that she "passed" 8th grade. We will not get CTD comparison scores until mid April, so not sure if DD is in the 98th percentile or not.

Dottie, hang in there. Next year I will just think the wait is 8 weeks and leave it at that. I don't think DD is ready for ACT, so we will endure another Explore wait.

Jen
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 01:02 AM
YAY, Jen! Getting those qualifying scores takes such a weight off your shoulders, doesn't it?

Yippee!

Plus: no more waiting! (Well, until the DYS wait, of course...)
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 01:08 AM
Sure! If she "passed" 8th grade this year, then she could be "passing" 9th grade and beyond by next year.

laugh
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 01:12 AM
Congratulations Jen!!! Your DD did fantastic!!

Now just to wait for my DS's scores.....
Posted By: Mommy2myEm Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 01:18 AM
Wow, she did GREAT!!!! I saw you "hanging out" on this thread, and waited around to see if you had any news. If she made those scores for the 4th grade level, that's fantastic! It's great for 3rd too, but last year DS only made 3/5 at DYS level as a (young) 3rd grader. (I think they are very close in age?)

Anyway, congratulations! It sounds like your scores were well worth the wait. Given the percentiles we got last year, your daughter sounds closer to the ACT levels than you might think.

Dottie,

She is a 4th grader, but a 3rd grader by age (Nov. birthday). This is her first Explore test, so I'm not sure how she would have done as a third grader. Some of the 4th graders around here are turning 11 already at our school. There is a trend to hold back many summer/spring birthdays.
Posted By: crisc Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 01:34 AM
I agree!
Posted By: LMom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 01:41 AM
Congratulations, Jen. All scores above the DYS levels. Wow! What a proud moment.
Posted By: bianc850a Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 01:59 AM
Congratulations Kriston and Czechdrum!!

I was out all day and missed all the excitement!!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 02:07 AM
Thanks, Bianca! smile
Posted By: delbows Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 03:01 AM
Wow Jen! All scores that are above DYS guidelines is a fabulous accomplishment for your dd9's first above level test!
Posted By: Ania Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 03:26 AM
We got our Explore scores today too!
The are excellent! A shocker for me actually!
But bear in mind please that I am talking about my plain smart child, not gifted or anything like that. Just plain SMART!
She is in 5th grade right now, very late summer B-day, so she could have been in 4th.
Her Explore scores get her in everywhere but DYS. She does have one sub (Math - and she is not a math child!) test that would have her in DYS, but just one.
BUT, she is above all scores needed for DYS for grade 4th!

This is a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE self esteem booster for my DD! Always in a shadow of her "brainy" brother!
She is so happy tonight, you would not believe! We are already making plans for her to go to Denver!
She is going to accomplish great things in her life because she has wonderful work ethics!

Posted By: acs Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 03:40 AM
Hi Ania,

I am so happy for your daughter. I was always the little sister in the Big Brother shadow, so I can totally relate. I was also the one with the good work ethic. But I totally underestimated my native abilities until grad school because I had grown up with such an unusually smart older brother (and I suspect your DS is brighter than my bro).
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 03:51 AM
Yay, Ania! smile
Posted By: delbows Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 04:11 AM
Ania, I am so pleased for your daughter!
Posted By: Lorel Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 12:41 PM
Ania-

I don't see how a "plain smart" kid can score at the 99th +percentile on an above level test, no matter how hard they try. I think you should consider that her gifts might just be later in showing. She sure sounds gifted to me!

And Denver? Do you mean PG retreat?
Posted By: incogneato Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 12:50 PM
What great news for you and DD! Also for Jen and DD! Yay!!!

Happy times!!!!!!!

I
Posted By: LMom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 01:15 PM
Wow, that's great Ania!!!! My DD11 is not even close to DYS levels! Good for her! I think she's more than "just plain smart", wink .

More like quite gifted smile Congratulations Ania!
Posted By: czechdrum Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 01:20 PM
Thanks, Bianca and gratified. smile

Tara
Posted By: Mia Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 02:07 PM
Oh, Kriston!!! Congrats! Oooh, I'm so happy for you guys, and so happy you decided to pursue further testing.

Yay!!
Posted By: Ania Re: Mailman updates? - 03/11/08 03:27 PM
Denver expalanation:

Since DS went to RMTS Summer Institute in Denver in the summer after 5th grade, DD has been wanting to go too, to take psychology or another humanities course. I never told her that, but I worried what will happen if her scores are not "high enough". Now we all know that she can go and she has already started talking about it:-) She was so happy last night and again this am before school.

Acs - thanx for sharing. My daughter is very responsible and extremely well organized. Her room can be a mess, but her brain is like this perfect closet with everything color coded and put nicely away. Very linear, to touch on Wren :-)
Posted By: Grinity Re: Mailman updates? - 03/12/08 02:45 AM
Originally Posted by Lorel
Ania-

I don't see how a "plain smart" kid can score at the 99th +percentile on an above level test, no matter how hard they try. I think you should consider that her gifts might just be later in showing. She sure sounds gifted to me!

I'm with Lorel on this one Ania! Either she's a 'late presenter' or we have 'Gifted Denial' all over the place. I think 'way smart' is really hard to notice in girls, for many many reasons.

((Jumping in the Air and clicking heels together - for Ania's DD))

As for the DYS letters - ((hugs to those you got good news, and to those who are still waiting, hugs to those you are in the 'need more info' place, and the ones who get the 'no thank yous.' I agree with Gratified 3 that it's all about getting support for our advocacy of our children, and my guess is that if all one gets out of applying to DYS is getting to this website - than that's a wonderful thing right there.

Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/12/08 07:59 PM
Oooooh Dottie that would be great (but I hope I don't get mine BEFORE you do) - that might send you over the edge!!!! ROFL!!!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/12/08 08:58 PM
Hey, after all my whiny posts about the wait, I'll be here cracking wise with you, crisc, until the end of your wait! I owe you that much! wink
Posted By: acs Re: Mailman updates? - 03/12/08 10:22 PM
In fact, EandC, if you do get your scores before Dottie, it might just be better to keep that quiet--you know for Dottie's sake.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/12/08 10:33 PM
Way to go, Dottie! smile

So when both sets of scores arrive, whatever will you do with your free time? <smirk>

Oh, and LOL, acs! Good one! laugh
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/12/08 10:37 PM
LOL! All that pacing is probably doing wonders for you, or is the stress-eating counteracting the pacing?

Enquiring minds want to know!
Posted By: cym Re: Mailman updates? - 03/12/08 10:53 PM
I've been away a few days and I feel like I've missed all the fun...and commisserating and celebrating.

Sorry igncogneato--what a drag! Don't give up. Go for the tests. Did Dottie say optimum testing age was 7.9?

Congrats Kriston and czechdrum--go to the gathering next year (we're not able to go this summer, but we should all plan for 2009)

EXPLORE Test scores finally arrived for DS9 and while I was hoping for across the board amazing scores, the one that stands out is math at 98% compared to 8th/9th graders (24 out of 25!). He is careless so I could easily see him filling in wrong circles even though he knows the math, so it's wonderful to me, and will hopefully support advanced programming next year.

His IQ testing indicated high in all areas, so I was surprised that Reading, Eng, and Sci were not all as stellar (though still great, and thoroughly graduating 8th/9th grade). It'll be so interesting when we receive DS13's scores who also took the EXPLORE this year as a freshman in high school, because it was required by his school (I hope he at least scored 24 in math).
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/12/08 10:55 PM
Yay, cym! Such good scores! Is math his favorite, maybe?

And thanks for the kind words. smile
Posted By: czechdrum Re: Mailman updates? - 03/12/08 11:17 PM
Dottie, you must be so frustrated with those Explore people! mad

Also, I'm curious about your son taking the SAT. Can you share some more about that? Did he take it for a specific reason, did you help him prep for it, how did the testing go, etc.?

Tara
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/12/08 11:59 PM
acs - Explore scores? What are those??? Hmmmm.....never heard of them. (at least until after Dottie gets hers!) grin

(and no I didn't get them today)
Posted By: Grinity Re: Mailman updates? - 03/13/08 02:42 AM
Way to go, Dottie! smile

So when both sets of scores arrive, whatever will you do with your free time? <smirk>

Oh, and LOL, acs! Good one! laugh

whoa! good one Kriston!
LOL Dottie - Is there a number heaven?
Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/13/08 03:36 AM
If there is, Dottie ought to get into it. <3

(love, not mooning!)
Posted By: momofonegirl Re: Mailman updates? - 03/13/08 09:29 AM
Congratulations to you all! Even those who have received �try again,� letters, you and your kids are still so awesome. I forgot who it was, but that mom has a wonderful attitude of we tried, my child is stil very, very bright and we will try again later. All of our kids have amazing gifts, whether in DYS or not, and nurturing these gifts along with our good attitudes will make all the difference in their lives.

Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/14/08 12:51 AM
So, no news tonight? frown
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/14/08 01:05 AM
None for me yet but I don't really expect mine for a couple more weeks.
Posted By: Mommy2myEm Re: Mailman updates? - 03/14/08 01:25 AM
Oh Dottie, I ran to this thread after I saw you posted hoping you'd have some good news. I will stay lurking here to find out when those scores finally arrive.

Jen
Posted By: incogneato Re: Mailman updates? - 03/14/08 01:54 AM
What is the deal Dottie?!?!?!?!?
I think these "explore" people just like to torment people!

I
Posted By: elh0706 Re: Mailman updates? - 03/14/08 02:00 PM
Dottie,
4:00 AM seems a bit early to start checking the mail smile
Posted By: cym Re: Mailman updates? - 03/14/08 03:34 PM
Dottie,

I'm a 4-5 am-er too. But this week I've been "out" since my dad's visiting.

Anyway, if we received our EXPLORE results and are usually about 3 days-1 week behind most of the country, I would be really concerned if I were you. Maybe you should call them.

Cym
Posted By: Grinity Re: Mailman updates? - 03/15/08 02:30 AM
((pats)) Dottie
Sry you have to wait so long. Maybe it's time to make a list of all the things that you will do differently if the numbers are higher than expected and all the things you will do (and feel) differently if the numbers are lower than expected.

I wish I could do better than that. Oh, I know, I just watched the 1957 movie "Twelve Angry Men." ((insert absurd mental image of your choice here)) It was really amazingly good, and kind of reminded me of School Meetings.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/15/08 03:27 AM
"Twelve Angry Adminstrators and One Fed-Up Mom?"
Posted By: Grinity Re: Mailman updates? - 03/15/08 03:29 AM
12 Angry Moms and One frightened Admin?
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/15/08 03:43 AM
LOL!
Posted By: Grinity Re: Mailman updates? - 03/15/08 01:12 PM
That Many??????????????
Groan!
Posted By: crisc Re: Mailman updates? - 03/15/08 02:32 PM
HA! Now that is OCD tendencies.

Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/15/08 03:30 PM
Does it count that whenever I click on the "Forums" button I think, "Shouldn't that be 'fora'?"

Cathy
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/15/08 08:28 PM
Maybe "fori"? wink
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/15/08 08:34 PM
Maybe "fori"? wink

sick Urk! Arg! It's like kryptonite to me... eek

Stop poking the pedantic OCD people...
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/15/08 08:37 PM
<snicker>

"Foru?"
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/15/08 08:40 PM
<shriek> I'm melting.....
Posted By: Ann Re: Mailman updates? - 03/15/08 08:41 PM
Thanks for making me laugh. You guys crack me up!!!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/15/08 08:42 PM
I think the truly OCD are those that actually do the research, ROFL! Both forums and fora are perfectly acceptable. (I really hate when two spellings are appropriate!!!!)

Dottie, I did look it up before I posted blush but I really do think of "fora" as being more correct, even though "forums" is currently preferred. That's the pedantic part of me...
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/15/08 08:52 PM
I'm sure admitting we have problems is one of our first steps, grin .

cool Who says I have a problem? The world needs pedantic grammarians, doesn't it?
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/16/08 02:06 PM
It certainly makes more sense to fora-ge through the dictionary than to forums-ge for the right definition.

wink
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/16/08 04:02 PM
Um..... Thank you, Kriston....

<chomping hard on tongue>

Look, Dottie! I'm taking a step!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/16/08 05:54 PM
Too far, huh? smile

As an uptight, recovering English major myself, I do love to yank the chain of others like me!

<kisses!>
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/16/08 10:33 PM
LOL Dotte! I bet it will come tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.....

Oh and Kriston and Cathy A., I can also submit DS10's writing to further help you in your pursuit of grammatical restraint. Although it might tax you to your very limits! grin
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/16/08 10:49 PM
Hey, I taught argumentative writing to college freshman at a big state school. NOTHING can tax my patience any more!

My favorite were the students WHO MISSPELLED THEIR OWN NAMES!!!!

I mean, what do you do with that?

Actually, I take that back: one thing taxes my patience. I cannot stand it when people put quotation marks around things with the apparent intention of stressing them, not realizing that it has the exact opposite effect. For example, when I was dating my husband (ah, the salad days!), I drove past a sign that said the following:

"Jesus" is coming

It made me nuts every time I saw it. What's with the utterly inappropriate quotation marks? Is some guy named Hey-sus on his way here?

After that, I seemed to see quotation marks for no reason everywhere, on signs all over the place. I wanted to teach a grammar course just for people who put up signs to try to combat it. I'm over that dream, but I still grind my teeth whenever I see stupid, pointless quotation marks used. eek

"Eats, Shoots and Leaves," anyone?
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/16/08 10:54 PM
Kriston - you always "make me laugh"!!!!

(big cheesy grin)
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/16/08 11:03 PM
LOL! So does that mean you aren't really laughing? Or that you're laughing at me, not with me? Or...

Aaaaauuuuuuugggghhhh!

grin
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/16/08 11:08 PM
hee hee hee hee - girl, I'm definitely laughing with you!!!
grin
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/16/08 11:23 PM
I wasn't going to admit it, but since Dottie has bravely stepped forward....DS10 has misspelled his own name too!!!!! crazy
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/16/08 11:35 PM
I did just show everyone my Achilles' heel there. If you want me to lose my ever-lovin' mind, just put quotation marks around things for no reason.

Must...ignore...the irony...

LMAO!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/16/08 11:48 PM
Well, my name has an unconventional spelling. I have spelled my name for people (as an adult!) and had them ask me, "Are you sure that's how you spell it?"
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/16/08 11:49 PM
I did just show everyone my Achilles' heel there. If you want me to lose my ever-lovin' mind, just put quotation marks around things for no reason.

Must...ignore...the irony...

LMAO!

Oh, "Kriston", now you've "done" it.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/16/08 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by Cathy A
Well, my name has an unconventional spelling. I have spelled my name for people (as an adult!) and had them ask me, "Are you sure that's how you spell it?"

That happens to me all the time. I love it when receptionists correct the spelling of my name when I wrote it! Thanks, but no thanks!

And BTW, it was funny when I yanked your chain. It's not at all funny when you do it to me! :p
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:00 AM
And BTW, it was funny when I yanked your chain. It's not at all funny when you do it to me! :p

You know I love ya! wink

I won't yank it too hard.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:01 AM
Nah, I totally deserve it for "fori"!

LMAO!
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:01 AM
My name is very unconventionally spelled (first and last). In fact I think I am the ONLY person in the entire country with my name spelled the way it is. What's up with this? INTJ's (at least Kriston is, I can't remember what Cathy is??) AND interestingly spelled names. Hmmmm...and Kriston, it is "funny" to see your chain being yanked!!! ROFL! (sorry, sorry, I'll quit!!!) grin
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:02 AM
So not really funny? Only a little funny? Or...

Aaaaauuuuuggggghhhhh! eek
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:06 AM
Ok, Kriston, now we have to find Dottie's weakness...
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:07 AM
Yes please, since she just sent me a PM that was basically just a string of quotation marks!

EVIL!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:08 AM
My weakness is using the quotations marks!!! ROFL!

Yeah, but what gets your goat? Improper use of apostrophes? Malformation of the subjunctive? (Maybe I'm giving too much away...)
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:10 AM
I think I use alot, quite alot, as a matter of fact. In fact, alot does not seem to be captured by the spell checker which I also use quite alot. (another big cheesy grin)
Posted By: acs Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:11 AM
I share your quotation mark pain. I had an officemate for 3 years who "made" those little quotation marks with her fingers in the air about 10-15 times a day--"totally" randomly!!! More than once I "almost" launched myself over both our desks and ""pinned" her hands behind her back!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:11 AM
If you were going to give it away, that might be the best way.

(I'm also trying to come up with a way to work apostrophes into this passage correctly, just to tease you, but I had better luck with the subjunctive...)
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:13 AM
LOL, Dottie! I thought you were just playing with me! Your use of "" has never bothered me. Put your mind at ease!

laugh
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:16 AM
Why do you think I use the spell checker????? ALOT!!!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:18 AM
I hope we aren't scaring any of our regulars away with this one!

That wasn't what I had in mind! I feel like it's a personal failing that I feel the need to nitpick. crazy Maybe some of you understand...
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:19 AM
Yup. Sure do. As a nitpicker in recovery, I completely identify!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:21 AM
It is a fun group!
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:22 AM
acs - love your "edit" job too!!!!
Posted By: acs Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:24 AM
Yes, but do you "love" it "alot?"
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:25 AM
AAAAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHH! I'm in quotation mark hell!!!!
Posted By: acs Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:28 AM
Is that the polar opposite of number heaven?

I think you mean," 'polar' opposite".
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:28 AM
Words fail me.
Posted By: acs Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:31 AM
If I were you, I wouldn't bring that up. LOL
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:31 AM
If you were to bring it up, then you would understand.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:32 AM
Oh, that would make you nutty, wouldn't it?

<evil cackle>
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:38 AM
ROFL! I think I have a good grasp of my apostrophes, but can I make a true confession here? I have absolutely no idea what a subjunctive is!

Well, here's an example: DD brought home a worksheet with a paragraph on it to read. The title was, "If I Was Invisible."

The paragraph went on at some length repeatedly using the phrase, "If I was invisible, I would <fill in the blank>." Now I know that this is acceptable colloquial speech but it still irked me that this worksheet seemed bent on teaching kids the colloquial construction instead of the proper construction, "If I were invisible, I would etc." So I (in what I thought was a helpful way) pointed it out to DD's teacher....who became quite angry with me. In order to mend fences I had to do some major apologizing! So here I am at grammarians anonymous.
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:38 AM
Yes, I think a new thread would be needed, "alot".
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:41 AM
I'd have gritted my teeth at that one, too, Cathy! It's wrong. It's just wrong. School should not teach incorrect grammar. Period. You weren't wrong if you were gentle with your correction.

I was often tempted to get out a red pen and mark up wrong stuff that came home from school before sending it back. I never had the nerve to do it, but boy, did I ever want to! smile

I'll be sitting right beside you at Grammarians Anonymous!
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:43 AM
My mother was an English teacher and I got corrected constantly on my grammar. I used to say "me and so and so" just to irritate her. (I shouldn't admit that should I???)

LOL Dottie! The teacher wrote that????
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:45 AM
Thanks, Kriston! I did circle a lot of things on the worksheet...come to think of it. I didn't think I was being nervy. I thought the teacher would agree with me and submit a correction to the textbook publisher. I wasn't blaming her at all but that was how she took it.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:45 AM
Misuse of its and it's bugs me, too.

It's not that hard to get right. Just check the dictionary before you put it back in its place!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:49 AM
Misuse of its and it's bugs me, too.

It's not that hard to get right. Just check the dictionary before you put it back in its place!

eek Don't get me started! eek
Posted By: acs Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:51 AM
I'm reminded of a Cultural Sensitivity Workshop I was forced to go to, where the trainer apologized for the shortage of handouts saying, "Sorry to have gyped you!" We had a little talk at the break and then she got up sheepishly and apologized to the Roma people.
Posted By: acs Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:53 AM
I know the it's/its thing, but when I'm typing, my fingers don't comply. A colleague has a stamp on all her emails that says, "I can spell; I just can't type."
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:55 AM
When I was teaching, the very first day of each class, I put this up on the overhead projector:

I don't make misteaks.

...and we discussed why such dumb errors were problematic for a writer.

Then I passed out a list of the the top 10 grammatical errors that writers make (a.k.a., the top 10 ways to drive your English teacher batty), and I taught my class how to avoid those mistakes. I warned them that if I ran into one of those errors in a student's paper after that, I would stop reading the paper and hand it back to him/her ungraded. It would then count as a late paper and the student would lose points accordingly until the paper was corrected and returned to me.

I told them that if I took my time to teach them grammar, then they should take the time to learn it.

You know, I never had to hand a paper back to a student. They made plenty of other dumb mistakes, but not the ones I told them to watch for. It kept me from going completely insane from the grammatical errors, at least.

Who says threats don't work? In combination with good, clear teaching, threats work wonders! smile
Posted By: crisc Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 01:07 AM
I'm gone for a day and my thread takes a weird "turn". I hope that alot of you will be waiting with me in another few "weeks". Are you guys going to wait????? Its not fun to wait alone.

*Did I manage to squeeze most of the errors in?????*
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 01:11 AM
If I was to think about it, I'd say you just missed the subjunctive.

wink

We'll be waiting with you, crisc! Thanks for your patience! laugh
Posted By: kimck Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 01:22 AM
Oooo Kriston - you sound like a "scaery" teacher! wink

I have to say compared to other boards I've been on over the years the spelling, grammar, and content of the posts here is generally top notch! After living in a very e-mail based world it's refreshing to get any spelling or grammar skills at all.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by crisc
*Did I manage to squeeze most of the errors in?????*

You even managed to end your sentence with a preposition! grin
Posted By: crisc Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 01:55 AM
Score. I love doing that!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 06:15 AM
I have to admit, that's one that doesn't bother me as much. There are times when it just sounds awkward and tortured to try to stick the preposition anywhere else. It depends on the sentence, naturally, but that one never got me all worked up.

(See! wink )

Oh, and kimck, I always got really high marks on my end-o-year evaluations, so I don't think I was too awfully scary. I was certainly tough, but I was clear about my expectations, I was fair and I was a good teacher. I even won one of the rare teaching awards given out by my department--with $$$ attached and everything!!!

Some days I miss the classroom...and then I remember how much it sucked to grade papers, and I get over it! grin
Posted By: OHGrandma Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 12:00 PM
You know the easiest way to fix a sentence that ends in a preposition?

Ex.- Did I manage to squeeze most of the errors in?

Solution - Did I manage to squeeze most of the errors in, b#(ch?

hehehe

I also have a co-worker who uses too many quote marks in her emails & documentation. When she speaks, she puts emphasis on the same words she puts quotes around when writing. She comes across as someone trying to explain something to a 2 year old. It's really annoying.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 01:13 PM
I would say "an LD" and "a learning disability," because that sounds better to my ear. I think the rule is that if it sounds like it starts with a vowel sound, you use "an" instead of "a."

Thus: an escalator, an M&M, etc.

But I admit I could be wrong on this one...
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 01:22 PM
Sure. smile It seems weird to me, too, but I think it's right.
Posted By: questions Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 01:30 PM
I saw that I had used LD three times, and two times I used "an" and once I used "a".

Now, I think the above is the best strategy - you can just claim typo, and leave it at that!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 03:12 PM
I'm of the school that you should declare yourself and be consistent, even if you're wrong.

Then again, there is the saying "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds..."

wink

(I think I got that quote right...)
Posted By: questions Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 03:30 PM
Joking...
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 03:47 PM
Actually, I have known people who really do this, Questions! That's why I took you seriously. I had students who told me as much that it was their strategy!

I didn't mean to seem like a humorless grammarian. Too much a stereotype for me. wink
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 03:59 PM
Yes, where is it? What would you do if both sets of scores arrived today?

Party at Dottie's! grin
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 04:04 PM
No, I meant the SAT and the Explore scores.
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 04:37 PM
Oh I'm sorry! Where on earth are they coming from that they didn't get here today??? Tomorrow for sure!!!! smile
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 04:43 PM
That's a nice distraction.
Posted By: elh0706 Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 04:44 PM
This thread blew up a bit of gifted denial at our house. smile My DH does not usually read the thread over my shoulder. However, after listening to me cackle, he came over and was laughing just as hard. We then tried to explain to a visiting friend what was so funny. After shaking his head at us, he then said, "You do realize that your son get's his sense of humor from you both, right?" Later DH had to admit that maybe his genetics did play a part in DS's abilities. He has tried for years to deny his part. smile

That said, I am lousy at grammer, spelling, punctuation and typing... Unfortunately, I'm no better at math or science. Please forgive my errors and thanks for a great chuckle!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 04:46 PM
I had to laugh when I saw someone's signature line on another board:

(By Greenlady) This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and appeal, and should not be considered a flaw or defect.

Posted By: elh0706 Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 04:49 PM
Thanks Cathy A. I need to remember that line next time my Mother sends me back the letter I mailed her with red mark corrections smile
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 04:51 PM
Iowa....and I'm in PA.

I sure hope you get your news soon. Since I'm a Minnesotan, I've grown up with people telling Iowa jokes, and maybe it's true the Iowans are a just a little slower... wink
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 04:52 PM
As a knitter and a member of grammarians anonymous, I LOVE that tagline! smile

A good sense of humor excuses any number of grammatical errors in my book!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 04:54 PM

Yup. grin
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 04:56 PM
I sure hope you all think I have a "good sense of humor" since I am sure I make numerous "grammatical errors"!!!! smile
Posted By: OHGrandma Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 05:19 PM
Not to mention OHGrandma's...ah...interesting approach... grin !

Dottie, I better add, that response only works well among good friends!
To be honest, I reserve words like that for cantankerous cows. Thankfully our nearest neighbors are almost a half mile away. :-)
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 06:06 PM
Seriously, Dottie, I don't read these posts with my fine-toothed comb out. If I can figure out what is intended by the writer, I'm happy.

Everyone posting to this thread is totally in the clear in my book! I've never gritted my teeth once...except when having my chain yanked on purpose by those of you who are meanies! You know who you are...

wink
Posted By: Ania Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 06:49 PM
I won't participate in this thread, since English is my SL, learned as an adult:-)
No comments please :-)

Dottie - did you get any mail? You guys "talk" so much, a couple of days away and it is impossible to follow :-)
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 06:53 PM
You do great, Ania! Please, don't let our joking make you feel unwelcome. Your posts are always clear and well-written. smile
Posted By: acs Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 06:55 PM
I agree with Kriston. But, even better, even if you did make mistakes, you'd still be our friend :-)
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 07:13 PM
So true!

I'd REALLY REALLY REALLY hate for this post to make anyone worry about how they post. This is all a big joke! (And the joke's on us for caring about such things, BTW.)

Honest!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 07:37 PM
(And the joke's on us for caring about such things, BTW.)

Ditto! smile
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 07:45 PM
And IFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF my scores ever come, and they are worth talking about, maybe I'll start a brand new thread, LOL!

At this point, you will have to!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 09:01 PM
she said "Oh, twins?"

Ya know, it just doesn't compute with some people.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 10:13 PM
I felt like both of mine were twins born two years apart, they were both so big and so late! wink
Posted By: incogneato Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 10:28 PM
Oh my goodness! This thread is TWENTY SIX pages long already!

Are you all going to make me go back through how many pages of grammar humor to find out if Dottie got her Explore report in the mail yet?!?!?!?!?

Incog
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/17/08 10:29 PM
No, she didn't. I saved you some scrolling there!
Posted By: kimck Re: Mailman updates? - 03/18/08 05:13 PM
Oooo Dottie - I feel for you! Unreal. I really do hop on this thread once a day and hope you've gotten it already. I'm crossing my fingers for tommorow!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/18/08 05:24 PM
Congratulations, Dottie's DS! One for the scrapbook! laugh

Sorry about the mail AGAIN! I'm reminded of the saying, "Don't hold your breath [while you wait], for you'll turn blue."

It seems all too appropriate in this situation! frown
Posted By: kimck Re: Mailman updates? - 03/18/08 05:55 PM
Well, picture in the paper is something anyway! Go Dottie's DS!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/18/08 06:47 PM
DS's picture was in the paper again for his school spelling bee.

Yay! Score one for the good spellers! wink
Posted By: incogneato Re: Mailman updates? - 03/18/08 07:03 PM
Awesome Dottie! Tell DS a big Congrats!!!!!

Hope the mailman brings some good news for you SOON!!

Incog
Posted By: crisc Re: Mailman updates? - 03/18/08 07:48 PM
Congrats on the spelling bee pic. I'm hoping tomorrow is your wonderful mail day.
Posted By: LMom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/18/08 08:47 PM
Picture in the paper sounds great! Of course if it came with the scores it would have been much better. I cannot believe that they have let you wait for so long. Grr.
Posted By: czechdrum Re: Mailman updates? - 03/19/08 12:37 PM
I go away for a few days, and this thread is now 27 pages! shocked You guys are cracking me up!

Dottie, that is so crazy about the Explore scores. I would be ... certifiable at this point. crazy I hope they come TODAY, with the SAT scores!

Tara

ps: we should start a new post for the March DYS waitees, otherwise this thread could easily make it to 50 pages.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/19/08 01:16 PM
50? We have 100 as a goal!

Come on, everyone! If we pull together with all the goofy and pointless comments we can think of, I know we can do it!

wink grin

P.S. In a more serious tone, a new thread sounds fine to me. smile
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/19/08 01:59 PM
Yes, that would be bad, Dottie. The scores must come!
Posted By: cym Re: Mailman updates? - 03/19/08 10:37 PM
Hi Dottie,

So what did your DS8 think about the SATs? In particular the math sections? I'm curious because ever since you started toying with the idea, I thought maybe for DS9? I dunno. Just because I'm curious I don't want to push him too hard and get him turned off. Anyway, I was curious what your son said about it.

Cym
Posted By: incogneato Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 12:48 PM
Wow, Dottie, that's amazing! It's amazing he did so well since he was sick!
Besides the fact that the Explore scores must be walking to your house all on their own, what do you think about that testing process?
Do you think we should consider having DD8 take it in the fall?
She did say she loved, loved, loved taking the WIAT and asked for more testing, which I consider very odd, by the way!

I
Posted By: kimck Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 12:55 PM
Wow Dottie - that's amazing! Especially for a sick boy - poor guy. Glad you got some results anyway.

I'm sure you'll see the horses pulling up TODAY with those EXPLORE scores. wink
Posted By: Grinity Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 01:22 PM
Oh Dottie! Finally! Yippee! You made it!
Grinity
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 01:32 PM
YAHOO!!!!!

So glad! smile
Posted By: incogneato Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 03:26 PM
Still, to me it's still "OMG what do we do now"
As my principal would say......"That's a good problem to have."
Yes, a bit tongue in cheek, but sincere, sincere.

I
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 03:29 PM
This seems to me to be an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" situation. Nothing to do but what's doing now.

But it's definitely time for that--was it 7th grade math? or 8th? I forget--well, the upper math, at any rate, that you were pushing for, Dottie.

That much is clear! smile
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 04:00 PM
I had to chuckle at this:

Hopefully the school will have some thoughts for once.

Irony, anyone? :p

I hope the good ideas flow fast and thick for you! smile
Posted By: LMom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 05:17 PM
...the numbers have my brain all over the place. One minute I think they're high, another low...I can't really figure out where they fall. They aren't at the "Good grief, now what will we do?" level, which is probably a good thing, right?

I'm sure the Explores will come today, because now I'm NOT prepared to process them, LOL!

Congratulations Dottie! I can only imagine you thinking about the scores, lets me see ALL the time. LOL. I am glad that at least the SAT wait is over and that he did so well. And yeah, it is a good news that you don't have to panic. Yet. Save it for next year wink

I bet the Explore scores will come today and you will have a score overload wink Now have you already started looking up how kids with such and such score on Explore do on SAT? LOL The fever when taking SAT sucks because it kind of gives him the minimum score, but he might have done much better if he had been healthy.
Posted By: questions Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 06:37 PM
So Dottie, we don't know where you are right now... Do you need us to come find you? LOL.

Well, at least the waiting is over. And really, low 90's for current peers in 5th? What is wrong with THAT? Congrats to your DS and your DD on jobs well done on all the tests.

Congrats to all of you for your stellar children!

All the best,

Questions
Posted By: czechdrum Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 06:54 PM
Dottie! You finally got them! *whew* No more thoughts of search parties sent out looking for the lost mail truck.

It sounds like the scores are useful to you, and that is what is most important. I hope that your school is able to receive the information with a genuinely helpful attitude.

Tara
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 07:39 PM
<hugs> Dottie! You know your kids. Numbers are just numbers. I say this to you because I say it to myself all the time wink Want to think about someone else's numbers for a while? Check out my dysgraphia thread in 2e. DD's results are in.

Cathy
Posted By: kimck Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 08:31 PM
Dottie - those scores sound quite fabulous to me! And welcome back to the real world. smile
Posted By: incogneato Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 08:34 PM
Hi Cathy, I'm behind in my thread reading, will check it out now.
Dottie, Everyone has already said it already!!!!!!!!!!

Your kids rock!!

I
Posted By: Lorel Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 08:35 PM
Dottie-

A test score is just a snapshot- maybe DS wasn't looking his best that day, but he still came out WAY above average on an above level test that only bright/gifted kids take, right?

Posted By: incogneato Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 08:57 PM
I'm thinking DD8 might like to take Explore in the fall. Should I start my wait thread now?
Posted By: AmyEJ Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 09:00 PM
I'm with Incogneato on this one, Dottie: Your kids definitely rock!

And I know this from being on this board just a little over a week. Yes, I'm a fast learner. grin
Posted By: LMom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 09:10 PM
First of all congrats on your DD11 scores! That's great that she did so well.

Now DS9 did awesome. Let me see he is at 99% of gt kids for his AGE!!! Forget the grades and everything and look at his age. Yes, he is in 5th grade, but he is 9. Compare apples to apples smile and Wow. He is in 99% of gifted population of his age in math! That sure is better than 99.9% on a regular achievement test for his age group.

Time to celebrate!!!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by AmyEJ
I'm with Incogneato on this one, Dottie: Your kids definitely rock!

And I know this from being on this board just a little over a week. Yes, I'm a fast learner. grin

Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! grin

Congrats on finally getting the scores, Dottie! I'm not sure the scores themselves even matter anymore, as long as they're in your hot little hands instead of in a mailbag somewhere!

But seriously, given that he was sick, I think your DS's scores seem outstanding. I'm glad to hear the good news about your DDs, too.

So smile, enjoy those jelly beans, and have a glass of pre-holiday wine.

<glug glug glug>

Here's your glass, all poured for you! laugh
Posted By: Lorel Re: Mailman updates? - 03/20/08 10:59 PM
Congrats to your son, Lmom. Isn't it nice to have the data to back our gut feelings every now and then?

Posted By: bianc850a Re: Mailman updates? - 03/21/08 12:04 AM
Congrats to Dotties' DS!! Those are incredible scores.

My dd is taking the SCAT tomorrow (for JHU CTY summer program). It is my turn to wait...
Posted By: LMom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/21/08 12:12 AM
Lorel, it wasn't my son LOL I wish it were, check back 4 years from now. DD9 referred to Dottie's son. It was just me making sure that Dottie sees the numbers the way they are.

If you ask me Explore should be scored by age anyway. I mean grades in gt schools are probably not the same like in PS. If somebody is subject accelerated then they go by the regular grade not the accelerated one, but if you are fully accelerated they use that grade. It's way too complicated. Go by age people!
Posted By: bianc850a Re: Mailman updates? - 03/21/08 01:20 AM
I am glad to hear it Dottie. I don't think I can do the three week wait!!
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Mailman updates? - 03/21/08 04:20 AM
Congratulations Dottie - the scores of your dd and ds both sound amazing and wonderful to me. And I'm so glad your wait is over. Did you tell those people in Iowa you had to wait 30 whole pages!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/21/08 04:30 AM
Was it maybe lucky guessing last year, Dottie? Or unlucky questions this year?

On the bright side, his scores went up, not down. That's something, right?
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 03/21/08 12:55 PM
Good points! Slow down, DS, and look for patterns, Mom! smile
Posted By: Mommy2myEm Re: Mailman updates? - 03/21/08 02:27 PM
Well, I'm officially back down on planet earth. We did get the Explore scores and they are NOT what I was hoping for, particularly in math of all things. Go figure!

I'll start with DD11, because she really improved quite nicely! She's solidly in the "GT" mean range for 5th grade, with only English a little on the low side. This is truly great for her, and she had excellent growth from last year. Remember too she had extended time. She's pretty solidly above your average 8th grader as well! She's nowhere near DYS levels (not that I expected that).

Then there's the boy. He did go up in every category, which of course is nice, but his math went up the least! I was shocked! shocked But here I am sharing the good with the "bad". His math is still quite high, still at the 99th for his age peer GT pals, but only low 90's for his current peers in 5th. I'm impressed anew with Jen's daughter's (higher!) scores!!! DS seems more "well rounded" this year, but he only hit 3/5 benchmarks for the DYS criteria as a 4th grader.

Anyway, at least the darn things finally came, and I can move on with my life! I had hoped to end this test on a high (ceiling) note, but now I'll have to reconsider again for next year. Maybe I should induce fevers for all his testing...

Dottie,

First of all, it's good to have your long wait over!!! The good thing is that your DS improved in each category. Your children are most definitely gifted. Since we didn't get the GT comparison numbers in our packet, can you tell me what those are? For example, what are the GT peers comparisons that you refer to? We only got a comparison to a 8th graders sampling and that to me didn't make much sense.

Also, since the test makes a recommendation for classes to take the following year (if I understand correctly), what are those recommendations supposed to be? Does it give you who is at grade level and who should take Algebra, pre-calc etc. the next year?

Again, I think those a fantastic scores.

Jen
Posted By: incogneato Re: Mailman updates? - 03/21/08 02:59 PM
But I think that's pretty common. I see my girls progress in terms of spurts. I saw it happen like that with their developmental progress when they were really little. I absolutely see it now when they are advancing intellectually. It seems if they aren't doing much, then, seem to wake up one morning leaps ahead. I can't remember who or when, but I remember seeing a discussion on a thread some time ago, that proposed the idea that sometimes they are actually working on something else when they don't seem to be progressing in their more obvious or strength area.
It's good to see DD shoot up like that, too. I'll bet she is so thrilled!!!!!!!

Incog
Posted By: incogneato Re: Mailman updates? - 03/21/08 03:30 PM
That makes total sense! I suspect my youngest as the more visual spatial and notice spurts more with her. I always thought it was because DD5 is the more in your face kid and DD8 is more subtle.
Posted By: LMom Re: Mailman updates? - 03/21/08 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by incogneato
But I think that's pretty common. I see my girls progress in terms of spurts. I saw it happen like that with their developmental progress when they were really little. I absolutely see it now when they are advancing intellectually. It seems if they aren't doing much, then, seem to wake up one morning leaps ahead.

Same here. I think nothing is happening and then all of the sudden, they are learning new things left and right. Now if only it was true for me too wink
Posted By: crisc Re: Mailman updates? - 03/29/08 01:20 PM
I'm glad the full report was able to give you some more information (and more obsession smile )

Thanks for reviving my thread. I love anything that helps with distraction.
Posted By: Ann Re: Mailman updates? - 03/29/08 08:32 PM
Dottie, what's a CTY or AoPS course?
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 03/29/08 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Ann
Dottie, what's a CTY or AoPS course?

CTY=Center for Talented Youth http://cty.jhu.edu/

AoPS=Art of Problem Solving http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/

HTH (=hope this helps) smile

Cathy
Posted By: Ann Re: Mailman updates? - 03/29/08 08:49 PM
LOL - thanks Cathy! I'm still getting the hang of the acronyms. laugh
Posted By: bianc850a Re: Mailman updates? - 03/29/08 10:00 PM
Hi Dottie,

the Math Olympiad course thru CTY sounds like a lot of fun!!

My DD has taken several courses thru CTY and she really enjoys them. I usually sign her up for math, but I think we may just try one of their writing courses this summer. My DD is suddenly into poetry writing.
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 04/01/08 09:17 PM
Anything yet crisc??? (keeping my fingers crossed for you!!) smile
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 04/01/08 10:47 PM
Nope, nothing here yet. Six weeks this Saturday........

crisc just sounded like she needed some good news. I was hoping maybe she got some today.

Me, I'm just curious about my DS's scores more than anything else. smile
Posted By: bianc850a Re: Mailman updates? - 04/01/08 11:15 PM
I got my dd's SCAT test results today. She did great in both verbal and quantitative.

I was looking over their tables/graphs and noticed that boys in general seemed to have done much better than girls in both math and verbal. Any thoughts on this?
Posted By: bianc850a Re: Mailman updates? - 04/02/08 12:26 AM
Before I get attached to the tables/graphs I fist have to understand them!! Maybe boys are smarter...

Actually, she did great. If I did my math right she scored in the top 2% of both boys/girls combined. Much better if I only use girls stats. Based on her raw score she would qualify for CTY courses as a 5th grader. It is pretty much where I think she is curriculum wise at school, so it was not very much of a surprise.

I actually expected the boys scores to be a bit higher, but not to this degree. Also, I wasn't expecting this results in the verbal portion.
Posted By: bianc850a Re: Mailman updates? - 04/02/08 12:52 AM
See, I told you I don't know how to read her results. I was just looking at the summer program requirements and they have them broken down by grade. If I look at the summer requirements for Grade 5 and that is where her scaled score falls. Anyway, it was pretty high.

You are right, she tested too late to be eligible for the awards ceremony. They did however, add that to her MYCTY page and send the scores to her school for her permanent file.
Posted By: bianc850a Re: Mailman updates? - 04/02/08 01:08 AM
Girls ARE as smart as boys!!!

I like that. It is a good compromise!!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 04/02/08 01:19 AM
ROFL!
Posted By: bianc850a Re: Mailman updates? - 04/02/08 01:37 AM
Oops...
Posted By: crisc Re: Mailman updates? - 04/02/08 01:39 AM
Congrats on the SCAT scores.

No news yet for us.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 04/02/08 02:05 AM
*sigh*

Sorry, crisc! Our notification came closer to mid-month, so that's when I'd be expecting yours.

At least that will keep you from pulling your hair out with the wait in the meantime. If it comes earlier, great! If not, you're not going nuts with the wait. It's all about your expectations! wink

And it's a normal envelope, not a big manilla one that comes from DYS, so don't panic if it's "just" a business envelope.
Posted By: CarCar Re: Mailman updates? - 04/02/08 06:16 PM
Good News for EandCmom. We got our Explore results today. They were postmarked 31 March. My dd12 took it in Feb on the same day your son did. She missed a basketball tourney game that day.

Now, I am back to lurking and sorting out scores...LOL
Posted By: incogneato Re: Mailman updates? - 04/02/08 06:29 PM
Hey CarCar!
Glad you got your results!
Lurk to your hearts content, but feel free to post as well!

Nice to imeet you!

Neato
Posted By: CarCar Re: Mailman updates? - 04/02/08 06:34 PM
Thanks!

I have been planning on posting. I have been working on a long intro on a word doc. I have had some health issues get in the way recently. I do hope to be posting regularly soon!

Well, I know that she was pleased with the scores in comparison with the 8th grader's percentiles. Then she saw the Belin-Blank interpretation. She wasn't happy that she wasn't at the same percentiles in comparison with other 6th graders that took the test. She can be quite competitive at times.
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 04/02/08 07:05 PM
Thanks CarCar! My mail doesn't come until after 5:00 most days (crazy I know) so I won't know for awhile if we got them or not. He's a 2E so I don't really know what to expect with his scores, but I'd just like to have them at this point!! :-)

Hope your health is much improved and that we'll be seeing you post regularly soon!

smile
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 04/02/08 10:05 PM
Greetings and salutations! smile
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 04/02/08 10:30 PM
Still nothing. Sigh...........
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 04/02/08 11:21 PM
Sorry, EandCMom! frown
Posted By: KAR120C Re: Mailman updates? - 04/03/08 12:39 AM
Okay okay I'm delurking now (can't help myself!) I'm waiting for a Feb. Explore report too and it's driving me up a wall!! (Well that and the quart of coffee I had for breakfast... that might have magnified the effect... LOL) We're going to be out of town next week and I'm just sure it's going to show up Monday and sit in the mailbox for six days... argh!

Erica
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 04/03/08 12:45 AM
Erica, I'm glad you delurked! It's good to have others to commiserate with. I just KNEW the scores were going to be here today. Hopefully yours will get here in the next day or two so they won't have to sit in the mailbox. Do you have a DS or a DD and how old? Mine is a DS10 in the 4th grade.

Maybe tomorrow......

smile
Posted By: KAR120C Re: Mailman updates? - 04/03/08 12:52 AM
DS is 8 and homeschooled... and we're calling him a 4th grader for norming purposes.... He took it last year as a 3rd grader and did fairly well, but I know he was much faster this year (and last year speed was apparently a big issue...) so I have NO IDEA how he did this year! That's what's driving me nuts with the waiting -- he could have done great or he could have crashed and burned... eeek!

ETA: What talent search did you use? DS is in CTD/ Northwestern
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 04/03/08 12:56 AM
We went through BESTS. This is the first year he's taken it and he's a 2E so I really don't have very high hopes. He had a GREAT time taking it so it really doesn't matter how he did but I am, of course, hopeful that he did half way decently. I guess we'll find out (sooner rather than later I hope!) smile

Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 04/03/08 12:57 AM
True, the not-knowing is the worst!

Glad you delurked. smile Welcome!
Posted By: KAR120C Re: Mailman updates? - 04/03/08 01:01 AM
Well here's to the possibility of tomorrow, EandC smile

Thanks for the welcome, Kriston! I think I might recognize you from elsewhere... that or there's another Kriston-with-an-o out there!

Erica
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 04/03/08 01:10 AM
HIGHLY unlikely, except for one young woman from my hometown who's about 10 years younger than I am, so we're pretty sure she's named for me. She's the only one we've ever discovered.

I'll PM you. Check your box...
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 04/04/08 04:43 PM
Well the scores came and they were good but of course they weren't as fantastic as I was secretly, deep down inside, hoping they'd be. They were good though!

And at least the wait is over!!! smile
Posted By: crisc Re: Mailman updates? - 04/04/08 07:00 PM
Congrats on getting your scores!! I'm glad they were (at least) good.

I am at work so I haven't checked my mail yet today. It would be a great end to a looong week.
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 04/04/08 07:56 PM
Thanks Dottie! I was a bit disappointed yesterday but I'm over it today and moving on!

We're getting flooded with rain here so I'd love to have my mail brought to my door. smile

Crisc - hopefully today!!!!!!!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 04/04/08 08:17 PM
Yup, fingers crossed, crisc. And glad that the wait is over, even if you're not over the moon about the results, E&CMom!
Posted By: crisc Re: Mailman updates? - 04/05/08 01:35 AM
It came today--what a great end to a pretty disappointing week. DS5 was accepted to the DYS program and I am beyond thrilled. This couldn't have come at a better time. Thanks for waiting with me everyone!!
Posted By: bianc850a Re: Mailman updates? - 04/05/08 01:37 AM
Congrats crisc. What a great way to end the week!!

Bianca
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 04/05/08 01:37 AM
Yea crisc!!!! I'm so happy for you and your DS!!!!! smile
Posted By: kimck Re: Mailman updates? - 04/05/08 01:40 AM
Hooray! Congrats and enjoy!
Posted By: Ann Re: Mailman updates? - 04/05/08 01:48 AM
WOO HOO - Congratulations!!! grin
Posted By: KAR120C Re: Mailman updates? - 04/05/08 01:56 AM
Yay!! Congratulations crisc!
Posted By: KAR120C Re: Mailman updates? - 04/05/08 01:57 AM
Oh - and I forgot to update y'all on my wait (losing track of all my messageboards... eek!) Results came (yay!) and were good -- and you know EandC, I don't think they're ever as good as we're secretly hoping, but I was thrilled that they don't seem to be underestimates in DS's case! Last year they were definitely underestimates!!

Erica
Posted By: incogneato Re: Mailman updates? - 04/05/08 02:05 AM
Congrats Crisc, that's great. I hope you get some help with the school situation!

Neato
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Mailman updates? - 04/05/08 03:41 AM
That's great! I'm really happy for your family smile
Posted By: LMom Re: Mailman updates? - 04/05/08 03:56 AM
Congrats, crisc! Great news!
Posted By: Mia Re: Mailman updates? - 04/05/08 08:30 AM
Congrats, crisc! That's awesome. smile
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 04/05/08 12:20 PM
Yay, crisc! Yay, Erica!

YAY! YAY! YAY!

I love good news!!!

crisc, I feel especially happy to welcome you into DYS since a) I know how much you need it, and b) you're the very first person I've gotten to welcome in. So now I'm an old hand, right? wink

P.S. If you're interested in coming to the Summit (which they used to call "the Gathering") this summer, be sure you send in your form as soon as you get access to the website. They'll let us newbies in even though deadline has passed, but they want you to register asap.
Posted By: Lorel Re: Mailman updates? - 04/05/08 01:10 PM

Congrats to Crisc's ds!
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Mailman updates? - 04/05/08 04:09 PM
Yea Erica too!! I'm glad the scores turned out well for your DS! smile
Posted By: questions Re: Mailman updates? - 04/06/08 03:55 PM
Wonderful news!
Posted By: Grinity Re: Mailman updates? - 04/06/08 04:49 PM
Yippee!
Posted By: czechdrum Re: Mailman updates? - 04/06/08 08:45 PM
Congrats Crisc! grin

Tara
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Mailman updates? - 04/07/08 01:03 PM
Congrats Crisc! and great news Erica!
woo hoo!
Posted By: elh0706 Re: Mailman updates? - 04/07/08 06:38 PM
Congrats to all! And good luck with the schools smile
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 04/07/08 06:47 PM
Wow! What a lot of info for $10! You're right: that sounds totally worth it.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Mailman updates? - 04/07/08 06:58 PM
LOL! Probably in the minority.

Heck, I didn't even ask to see my DS6's achievement test results until he started having trouble in class! I only developed score-related OCD very recently. <snicker>
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum