Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: BWBShari UPDATE Possibilities?! - 06/11/10 10:27 PM
In an effort to find a science mentor for my DS7, I was on the phone with the local university. The woman asked if I had considered the A.I.M.S. program (Albuquerque Institute of Math and Science)as she thought he'd be a good candidate. I replied that I hadn't heard of the program. She explained that 2 years ago, a charter school was opened on the university campus for 6-12 grade students that focuses on math and science. The program is designed so that children who master high school level in any subject are then enrolled in the college. The school is small, roughly 40-50 per grade level.

I have an appointment next week with the principal to explore the possibility for DS. New Mexico allows h/s kids to attend school part time, so i'm hoping they'll let him go part time this year, then if all goes well he can go full time the following year. When I pulled up the state test statistics for this school, it was listed in the top 5.
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: Possibilities?! - 06/11/10 10:57 PM
Sounds like a dream, especially for your son. Do keep us posted on what you find out.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Possibilities?! - 06/13/10 08:34 PM
WOW! Good luck!
Posted By: minniemarx Re: Possibilities?! - 06/14/10 01:47 AM
That sounds fabulous, Shari!

Posted By: blob Re: Possibilities?! - 06/14/10 02:00 AM
Good Luck Shari! All the best!
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Possibilities?! - 06/14/10 02:05 AM
Keep us up to date. That's exciting.
Posted By: JJsMom Re: Possibilities?! - 06/14/10 12:54 PM
Awesome!
Posted By: kd976 Re: Possibilities?! - 06/16/10 12:55 AM
That sounds awesome, is it far from where you live?
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Possibilities?! - 06/16/10 07:18 PM
YES!!!

That was inarguably the most awesome meeting I've ever had. Not only did the principal agree to accept DS7 into their program, she was genuinely excited about it! He will attend part time beginning in August, then enroll full time the following year.

The principal asked so many relevant questions regarding accomodations and his emotional status. She plans to assign him a counselor and a senior mentor. She completely agreed with my reasons behind looking for part time the first year. We talked about emotional meltdowns and she told me that many of the sixth grade boys cry so he'll fit right in. Then she told me that she will enroll him officially as a 7th grader because in her words "6th graders are very squirrely and are likely to lead your little one down the wrong path. By 7th grade our students are much more settled and focused, plus she thinks he'll like the math teacher better."

She committed to having a meeting with his teachers and I after one month to "tweak and finagle as necessary"! Unbelievable! If the rest of the staff is a reflection of the Principle and her attitude, DS' education just got soooo much easier. My fingers are still crossed, but i'm much more hopeful than i've ever been.

Posted By: jesse Re: Possibilities?! - 06/16/10 07:43 PM
That's awesome!! It is SO good hear administration and schools that get it. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Possibilities?! - 06/16/10 08:41 PM
Wow, how wonderful! I'm moving to NM -- lol!
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Possibilities?! - 06/16/10 08:43 PM
It was amazing... If I had handed her a script, it couldn't have gone any better!
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: Possibilities?! - 06/16/10 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by master of none
He is so very lucky to have you, and you are so lucky to have a school! You must be a skilled negotiator to have gotten him the flexible elementary school situation, and now this.

I agree with MON. We might petition to have BWBShari lead a seminar on how to negotiate. wink

Definitely sounds wonderful ... crossing my fingers for you that they follow through on all the promises.
Posted By: inky Re: Possibilities?! - 06/16/10 09:23 PM
What a wonderful breakthrough and I'm really impressed!
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Possibilities?! - 06/16/10 11:11 PM
Thanks guys, but honestly, I didn't have to negotiate anything today. I was even brutally honest about the possibility of major meltdowns since he's never been in a demanding environment and she took it all in stride.
Posted By: inky Re: Possibilities?! - 06/17/10 12:35 AM
Clone her! grin
Posted By: blob Re: Possibilities?! - 06/17/10 12:51 AM
Shari, congratulations to you and your son! Crossing my fingers and toes that all will go beautifully!
Posted By: m2gts Re: Possibilities?! - 06/18/10 12:03 AM
Wow, Shari, what great news!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Possibilities?! - 06/18/10 01:02 AM
Oh, big YAY!!!!

It sounds like a program that will be a great fit for your DS with people who get PGness and are going to be on his team.

What great news! Please let us know how it goes, will you?

laugh
Posted By: Catalana Re: Possibilities?! - 06/19/10 12:33 PM
Shari,

That is so terrific. And what an exciting environment for him to be in! Cat
Posted By: aline Re: Possibilities?! - 06/21/10 12:33 AM
BWB what a great thing! I've already spread the word in SF -- let us know how it goes!
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Possibilities?! - 07/31/10 01:47 AM
My celebration has come to an end. At the summer institute this week I spoke to two parents that have their children in the AIMS program that my son is scheduled to start in a few weeks. One of them is a middle school teacher, the other a GT Facilitator.

Their words..... It sucks! They both independently told me that they talk the talk, but absolutely DON'T walk the walk. It's supposed to be project based, they both said it is totally text book driven. Tons of homework, very little support......

I'm going to start shopping for a plan B, just in case. Any ideas?
Posted By: Kriston Re: Possibilities?! - 07/31/10 02:45 AM
Aw, man. That really stinks.

I have nothing specific to suggest for a plan B. You've homeschooled, so I guess that's always there for you, right?

Is it okay if I continue to hope that their impression is wrong and it will be great for your son? frown
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Possibilities?! - 08/02/10 04:05 AM
Problem wih continuing to homeschool is his science. I flat out can't do it! We got to ....I think they were called degenerate orbitals? Maybe? and I was done.

Plan B would have to involve a science tutor or mentor or something!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Possibilities?! - 08/02/10 04:18 AM
We're getting close to that point, too, in a couple of subjects. I took math through college calculus, but there is NO WAY that I could teach math that advanced. My husband could, but time is a problem. He has none! In a year or two, we'll probably have to get a tutor or find an advanced math class for him. We're getting close on science as well. He needs more hands-on stuff, and I'm lazy...

A tutor for science seems like a perfectly reasonable part of Plan B. Go for it!
Posted By: Grinity Re: Possibilities?! - 08/02/10 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Kriston
Is it okay if I continue to hope that their impression is wrong and it will be great for your son? frown

In every school every where, it's the teacher who makes the most difference. I'm hoping that by steering you into 7th grade, you are really being subtly steered to a teacher who will be a good match for your son.

Of course it's always good to have a plan B, but I'm with Kriston here. Seems like this school is worth a tiny, part time try, particularly in the subject that you might need a tutor in. I hope it isn't much of a drive. It's so yuccky to try a school and think that maybe you'll have to leave and 'teach a bad lesson' to your son about quitting - but I encourage you to do it anyway.

Is your son ready for college level classes? At the very least he can enroll in the school part time and take college level classes exclusively as soon as he is ready.

Plan B can include homeschool, auditing college classes, online classes, local mentor/tutor, or enrichment.

Love and More Love,
Grinity
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Possibilities?! - 08/02/10 08:15 PM
Grins....

He's not ready for CC classes. But he is ready for hgh school math and science. As I avoided hard sciences at all costs when I was in school, I'm not much help to him homeschooling.

I'm beating the bushes for a science tutor just in case we get to that. I do however have my fingers and toes crossed that the school will work out.
Posted By: Grinity Re: Possibilities?! - 08/02/10 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by BWBShari
Grins....

He's not ready for CC classes. But he is ready for hgh school math and science.

CC's teach high school level math and science. It's normal for students to get to CC and not really have gotten their High School subjects fully, so they take the subjects again at CC.

Because of this the CC's are wonderful at developing placement tests. Audit the class at the CC and give your own grade as a homeschooler to keep the pressure 'age appropriate.'

Make sense?
Grinity
Posted By: questions Re: Possibilities?! - 08/02/10 10:41 PM
Maybe one of these if you need a plan B:

http://www.flvs.net/areas/flvscourses/Pages/Course%20Catalog/CourseListing-OutofState.aspx

http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com

http://www.homeschooldiner.com/subjects/science/main.html

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com

http://www.ecae.net

http://cdis.missouri.edu/gifted-courses.aspx

http://www.uccp.org/index.php/students

Posted By: BWBShari Re: Possibilities?! - 08/19/10 02:26 PM
We went to orientation yesterday, school starts on Monday.

My DS has been a ball of nerves for the last week worrying abou his new school. He didn't sllep the night before and had an upset stomach on the way there. I spent the entire drive to town second guessing my decision. He walked in holding my leg and looking a little green, lost and tiny.

Two hours later, that same kid walked out of the school bouncing! He is in love with his science teacher all ready. There was a presentation on the schools "research expo" project which is done over the course of the entire semester. They explained that part of LA assignements overlap report writing for science, same with math. The math dept. teaches the kids the calculations they need to successfully work their science fair projects etc. Every class is linked together. They have a contest to make Rube-Goldberg contraptions. On and On it went... Science, Science and more Science. My kiddo wants to start now!!
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: Possibilities?! - 08/19/10 02:28 PM
That's excellent news!
Posted By: Irisheyes Re: Possibilities?! - 08/19/10 02:59 PM
Congratulations, Shari!
That sounds like a great start to the school year!
Posted By: kd976 Re: Possibilities?! - 08/25/10 01:52 AM
How is it going? Is it here in ABQ?
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Possibilities?! - 08/25/10 03:02 AM
kd, yes....

As for how it's going.

Two days in, one bump. He went to math and was presented with an assessment that was 10 pages long. He freaked, convinced he was in way over his head. Once he calmed down, he realized that it really was just one problem at a time and he completed it.

To date the majority of his math has been done on-line where it is presented one question at a time. He was just overwhelmed. Haven't gotten any feedback on how he did yet.

Overall, he's doing better than I expected. He loves his science teacher and I get the feling that it's mutual. She has commented several times on his enthusiasm!

His LA teacher started off day two by pullingme into the office to tell me that my son hadn't written down any of the notes she'd asked him to on the first day. Knowing my son, I was surprised. When he went to LA on day two, I asked him about it in front of the teacher. He said that she had told him the day before that he had the wrong paper. Not wanting to make a mistake he didn't write anything down. But he then recited to her everything that she had asked him to note from the day before. At the end of class today she made a point to come and find me to let me know that he was fabulous!

So, over all I would say that things are going well so far!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Possibilities?! - 08/25/10 03:05 AM
Oh, yay! He's happy so far? (I realize it's really too early to tell, but I did know on day 1 of 1st grade that it was NOT working for DS9, so there's that...)
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Possibilities?! - 08/25/10 08:34 PM
kd...sent you a pm
Posted By: BWBShari Re: Possibilities?! - 08/26/10 07:28 PM
Ok...4 days in.

That assessment test that caused the first bump? DS scored 6 points higher than the class average. That was all the info the teacher gave me. Had his first quiz in math yesterday, got a B. Had his first science test today, got an A!

So far, he loves it! He spent the drive home today explaining to me what imaginary numbers are and how they work. His teachers are working really hard to accomodate him without coddling, the other students have been great so far and he's even got a few friends.

Tommorow he has his first Chess class (fridays are all electives) and he has applied to be part of the schools rocketry team.

Fingers crossed that it may continue!!!
Posted By: Austin Re: Possibilities?! - 08/26/10 08:08 PM
This is great!!

I am so excited for you and your son.
Posted By: Catalana Re: Possibilities?! - 08/27/10 01:03 AM
Shari,

Just wanted to let you know that we have been following the story and that we are keeping our fingers crossed for you. I so hope everything works out and that you son continues to be excited and engaged in his new school.

Cat
Posted By: Grinity Re: Possibilities?! - 08/27/10 02:42 AM
Shari,
I'm so happy for your family. Sounds wonderful.
Grinity
Posted By: kd976 Re: Possibilities?! - 08/27/10 03:08 AM
That's so awesome, it sounds like it's going to be a great year smile
Posted By: Kate Re: Possibilities?! - 08/27/10 09:38 AM
I'm so happy to hear how great everything is going! I love his science enthusiasm!!!! Nan
Posted By: Breakaway4 Re: Possibilities?! - 08/27/10 10:54 AM
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope things keep going well!
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Possibilities?! - 08/29/10 08:06 PM
Shari -just catching up a bit, and YAY! This sounds like a very promising start. I hope things continue to go well.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum