Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Lorel homeschooling groups - 12/28/07 04:09 PM
I saw Q and Kriston started a discussion on homeschooling and I thought I'd bring it up here.

Homeschooling groups of all kinds exist all over the country. There are groups exclusively for unschoolers, classical homeschoolers, Christians, gifted, etc.

I live in a rural community 45 minutes outside any major city. My group is not easy to locate, but we have small posters up at local libraries and have a contact listed on the state homeschool organization web site. There are about 200 families on our email list. We attract people from up to about 30 minutes away from our "hub". Most of our big events are in one particular town, in the community center building or a park.

It is impossible to say how important our group is to me and my family. It is an inclusive group, welcoming everyone who home educates their children, regardless of ethnicity, color, or creed. We have diehard unschoolers as well as strict classical homeschoolers, but most of us seem to be more relaxed and/or eclectic. We have friends who are Jewish, all flavors of Christian, Muslim, and Wiccan. Just this morning, the mother of the Wiccan family was telling me about how they celebrate Winter Solstice.

Regular events include the annual:
science fair, International Day, National Day, Spring Fling (Prom), and Family Fun Day, which is a fall kickoff BBQ and outdoor game day.

monthly: board game day, craft day, and two teen events

and short term classes arranged by members such as:
swimming, dance, art, gymnastics, science, drama, book club, and more

Naturally, we also have informal playdates as well, which can last for many hours or even a couple days! LOL, my husband likes to tease that homeschooling is a misnomer, as we are rarely home for a whole day.

I will say that I make social activities a priority. I feel that the social and emotional stuff is vital, and my kids are pretty well able to feed their heads without a lot of time or effort. I see my oldest with Asperger's, and he is SO smart, yet struggles with everyday interactions. I wish we could trade off IQ points for EQ points; I'd do it for him in a heartbeat.

Anyway, there are many groups out there, and if you don't find one that rings your bell, you should consider starting your own. All it takes is 3-4 families to get started.

Posted By: Kriston Re: homeschooling groups - 12/28/07 04:11 PM
Thanks, Lorel! I knew you'd be better at answering this sort of question (for Questions! smile ) than I am!
Posted By: questions Re: homeschooling groups - 12/28/07 11:58 PM
Thank you. I just wanted to know more about home schooling. This afternoon, I followed your leads and looked into some of the local groups around here and sent out emails. I don't want to home school, but if I have to down the road, I'd rather have the knowledge ahead of time.
Posted By: Kriston Re: homeschooling groups - 12/29/07 08:39 AM
You're so right. And even if you decide to afterschool instead of doing the full-on home schooling, you might find groups to give you some guidance, support and fun activities to do with your DS.

Very smart of you! I wish I'd planned ahead so that our emergency home schooling would have been something less of an emergency! wink
Posted By: Lorel Re: homeschooling groups - 12/29/07 03:00 PM
It's never a bad idea to be prepared. I read about homeschooling for about a year before I talked DH into even considering it. Basically, I wore him down!

I think it is important to remember that no decision has to be forever. You can make plans year by year, according to how things are working out for your child and your family. The exception might be if you give up a slot in a selective school- your child may not be able to return. But public schools are always there as a fall back, and many times the public schools are more flexible about accommodation than their highly priced counterparts.

To begin homeschooling, you don't really need much more than a library card and reliable transportation. Take your time locating resources and don't be tempted into buying expensive curricula before you really understand all the options. A very common newbie mistake is to buy the right program at the wrong grade level, or something that is a total mismatch for your child. Even within the same family and at the same level of intelligence, you can't assume the kids will react the same way to a particular program.
Posted By: Lorel Re: homeschooling groups - 12/29/07 03:20 PM
I realize I must sound like a homeschool cheerleader, and I apologize for that. I just want to demonstrate that the social aspects of homeschooling can be quite rewarding. It seems that too many people have an idea of sitting alone with their children in the house day after day, and Mom or dad's brain turning to mush as it shrivels from lack of adult conversation. In reality, a homeschooler does not have to be on task form 8 am to 3 pm, as their learning tends to be much more efficient. There's no waiting for the teacher to answer their question, no standing by while a classmate is disciplined, no time staring out the window waiting for slower classmates to finish their work. So most homeschoolers have MORE time free to socialize or to pursue hobbies and special interests.

More on activities: Usually anyone can step forward and run an activity. If I see an opportunity my kids might enjoy, I call around or post a query to our group e-list.

Some activities are one time only. Last year, a mom organized this:
http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

Some kids chose to dress like pirates; others displayed reports on famous pirates, both real and fictitious. It was a hoot!

My son ran a pokemon card game tourney a couple years ago. We had kids from age 8-14 take part.

There are also field trips to see maple syrup made, volunteer with Heifer International, attend the Nutcracker, view an IMAX film, spend a day at a historic village...

Have a great day!

Posted By: questions Re: homeschooling groups - 12/29/07 04:08 PM
I have to thank you both. This has been a very valuable "conversation," and through the links provided, I have found some great resources, including our local gifted association and gifted homeschooling association.

For us, the homeschool issues would be: 1) I work; 2) my family would freak out - they have enough trouble with DS as it is, since he's so clearly not like other kids to begin with; and 3) I'm just not sure what's best for him. Interestingly, this morning he told me his ideal school would be hands-on (after all, the scientists at NASA don't just do the calculations - they build the rockets, too). He also told me for the first time that school is boring because it's too easy. He wants to be doing the calculations to build those NASA rockets, not wasting his time with the easy stuff.

So I'm educating myself as to how to best educate him. And looking for other gifted children for him to hang out with. And maybe some additional activities through various local homeschool groups. So thanks again!

And here is one of the great links I found that I thought I would share with all of you. Definitely helps me with our constant web searches: http://www.emints.org/ethemes/resources/by-grade.shtml#9_

Happy New Year!
Posted By: Kriston Re: homeschooling groups - 12/29/07 04:59 PM
Glad the stuff I sent you helps, Questions. If you have any other questions or anything, just say so. And let me know how it's going. We're all in this together! smile
Posted By: Kriston Re: homeschooling groups - 12/30/07 05:15 AM
Originally Posted by Lorel
It seems that too many people have an idea of sitting alone with their children in the house day after day, and Mom or dad's brain turning to mush as it shrivels from lack of adult conversation.

True! I always deadpan that we lock DS in the basement and just toss books down the stairs to him so none of us has to speak to anyone.

tee-hee-hee!

But seriously, I worried about all the same things with home schooling before I started doing it. It's SOOOO much easier and more pleasant than I thought it would be. It is NOT "school at home," which would be socially isolating and painful; it's a totally different, much more laid-back animal.

If only I could keep the house cleaner, have more time alone, and find more time and energy to devote to my book, it would be darn-near perfect for our family!
Posted By: Lorel Re: homeschooling groups - 12/30/07 02:39 PM
Kriston-

Every option has positives and negatives, and you've hit upon two of the biggies for homeschooling. One is that it can be hard to keep the house in order when it is occupied so much, and you have to have the educational stuff readily accessible. The other is that many of us have to work hard at giving ourselves a break. I am lucky enough to have a DH who works from home several days a week. I can run here or there without hauling all the kiddos along every single time. Let me tell you Moms with kids in school, a solo trip to the grocery store can feel like Heaven! LOL, but I also try to schedule an hour away here or there when I don't have to do anything. I try to get out with my friends several times a year, and attend the adults only homeschool support group meeting when I have an interest in the topic to be addressed. As my toddler grows older, I will be making more of an effort to have "me" time and couple time with DH. It isn't easy to keep this stuff from getting pushed to the back burner though, and months can go by and I feel myself getting crabby for no particular reason. Be good to yourself, and your whole family will profit!
Posted By: Kriston Re: homeschooling groups - 12/30/07 05:52 PM
Thanks, Lorel. I do give myself frequent breaks, but I'm someone who needs a LOT of alone time. *Much* more than the average person. And the more time I spend being social--even just with my kids--the more alone time I need to compensate. Since virtually every time DS is social, I have to be, too, I'm really having to go with my "alone time" batteries at nearly empty most of the time.

I don't see how I could possibly get enough time to myself while home schooling. It's one of the sacrifices I've accepted that I have to make--one that wouldn't be a sacrifice for most people--and it's one of the reasons we're considering a private gifted school for next year. But mine is a pretty unique situation, and one that there's just no good solution for...short of locking DS6 in the basement and tossing books down to him. wink
Posted By: LMom Re: homeschooling groups - 12/31/07 04:29 AM
Thanks for the post. Homeschooling has been on my mind a lot these days and we may be leaning towards this direction.

Originally Posted by Kriston
True! I always deadpan that we lock DS in the basement and just toss books down the stairs to him so none of us has to speak to anyone.

tee-hee-hee!

LOL. If we ever do homeschool this may be a perfect reply to all the "You must drive each other crazy" comments.

The other is that many of us have to work hard at giving ourselves a break. I am lucky enough to have a DH who works from home several days a week. I can run here or there without hauling all the kiddos along every single time. Let me tell you Moms with kids in school, a solo trip to the grocery store can feel like Heaven!

This is one of the top reasons why I am kind of reluctant about homeschooling. This school years both of my kids are finally in PreK/K and I have a few hours for myself. It's not too much but it makes a huge difference for my sanity even though I mostly use it for the solo trips to grocery store and errands smile May be I could just get a sitter for a few hours each week.

What I really wish for is a partial homeschooling, I am not sure if that's doable.
Posted By: Kriston Re: homeschooling groups - 12/31/07 05:28 PM
Partial home schooling would be great. If it's possible for you to get that option, take it! In my second-choice world, DS6 would be home for math and reading and most science days (unless the school had some really cool experiment in the works--rare!), but would go to school for recess, art, P.E. and library time. (I say "my second-choice world" because my perfect world would have a school that gave him everything he needs and access to true peers, but that's totally pie-in-the-sky...)

And BTW, it does get easier to find alone time as the kids get older. But at 6, my DS still needs mostly one-on-one time for his lessons. He's just not fantastic at staying on task when it's not 100% his project, and I want to be sure he has time to play and do his own stuff, too, so I try to help him focus. (Plus I have a creative-minded and often destructive DS3, too, who still needs *lots* of attention.)

Having a babysitter helps so much! I would have lost my mind if I didn't have some help. But, again, I'm a pretty extreme personality type. I don't think most people would have this problem with alone-time the way I have it. I certainly wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from trying home schooling because of my weird! Provided you "put the oxygen mask on yourself before helping others with theirs," as they say on the plane, home schooling is a really great thing for all concerned.

Truth be told, I enjoy my kids a lot more than I did before home schooling. We don't drive each other crazy nearly as often as we did before. I know that seems backwards, but it really is the truth. We connect better, and I understand DS6 better than I did. That's on top of all the educational and emotional gains that DS6 has made by being home. I'm glad we did it!

And be warned: home schooling is addictive! When you see how much better your child does and how much happier he is, it's hard to think that any school can do as much for him! laugh
Posted By: Lori H. Re: homeschooling groups - 12/31/07 06:49 PM
One of the hardest things I have had to deal with in homeschooling my son is the lack of homeschooling groups in our rural area. We do belong to one, but not only does my son not fit in, I don't either, and it is very lonely.

When my son was in half-day Kindergarten, I volunteered at the school. I could talk to other parents and teachers who seemed to have more in common with me. I could go shopping or clean house for a few hours by myself. It was great. That was the last time I really had time for myself. I have just had to get used to it.

As a homeschool mom I don't fit in with our homeschool group because I am older than most of the other moms who got married right after high school and started having lots of kids, and I have only one nine year old son at home. They get together for skate days and my son can't skate. We had one boy my son's age spend the night with us once about a year ago and the only common interest they had was Pokemon and that was not enough to keep a conversation going for very long. This child was not interested in reading or science or history or current events or anything else that my son wanted to talk about. This boy did not "get" some of the jokes my son made because he didn't understand some of the words my son used and he also didn't seem to have the general knowledge needed to get the jokes. My son's gifted friends get his jokes. He doesn't have to worry about this around them.

The only friends that my son has are other gifted kids in his musical theater group who are in public school and one gifted boy from church who he can't go to Sunday School classes with because the other boy is several years older. These are the only kids that he feels that he can really be himself around and they won't think he is too "geeky." They have common interests. His pediatrician told us a few years ago that we needed to have him around "average" kids some of the time but my son says he has trouble finding things to talk to them about other than video games. He is still in cub scouts with kids his age, but because of sensory issues and what I think might be motor dyspraxia, he can't do some of the physical things as well as they do, so he has absolutely nothing in common with them--physically or mentally. He points out that I don't socialize with people that I have nothing in common with and asks me why I expect him to do something I can't even do very well.

He does have four very good friends who he talks to all the time. They have sleepovers, go to each other's birthday parties, have discussions about Runescape or books they are reading or tell jokes and have a really good time together, but they are all gifted. I haven't seen any other gifted kids and certainly not 2E in our homeschooling group, except for a little girl who is a couple of years younger, so it is hard for him to find friends in this group.

I have worried for the last several years that if my husband and I went somewhere together without our son and something happened to us, that life for my son would be really hard as a 2E kid in our state since there is no requirement for an appropriate education for 2E. So we don't go out without him and I don't take breaks and sometimes I get a little tired and cranky, but I do what I have to do.
Posted By: Lorel Re: homeschooling groups - 01/01/08 04:19 PM
Lori-

If your son has four good friends, that's a great start! Are they all in brick and mortar schools and unavailable during the day? Maybe you can arrange a regular weekly playdate that runs from 4-7 or something, and includes dinner? My son used to see a schooled pal every Friday afternoon from 4-6. They both appreciated the predictability of it, and their friendship lasted for years after they stopped playing on the same sports team, which is where they met.

I wonder if there are other groups in your area, or if you could travel a bit to find a better fit? Some of my friends drive 20-30 minutes to do things with my group, though there are others a bit closer to their homes. It's worth the extra time if you find people who are more accepting.

Hmm, it is interesting to me that you have so many young moms there. We have some, of course, but the majority of us are in our 30's and 40's. I have good friends who range in age from 30 to about 50. The difference doesn't seem to matter.

I am sorry that you haven't found a good match yet, but don't give up hope. Chances are good that someone else is saying that they don't feel like they belong in that group either...
Posted By: LMom Re: homeschooling groups - 01/01/08 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Kriston
Truth be told, I enjoy my kids a lot more than I did before home schooling. We don't drive each other crazy nearly as often as we did before. I know that seems backwards, but it really is the truth. We connect better, and I understand DS6 better than I did. That's on top of all the educational and emotional gains that DS6 has made by being home. I'm glad we did it!

That's interesting. Anybody else has the same experience?

Originally Posted by Lori H.
One of the hardest things I have had to deal with in homeschooling my son is the lack of homeschooling groups in our rural area. We do belong to one, but not only does my son not fit in, I don't either, and it is very lonely.

Lori, I'm sorry you have such a hard time fitting in. It must feel quite lonely. It must be hard not to have anybody in a similar situation.

Your son still has a few good friends and may be that's all he needs. I am an introvert and when I was a kid staying home and reading a book seemed more interesting than being outside playing with other kids. If he is happy with the situation then all is well (at least for him).
Posted By: Lorel Re: homeschooling groups - 01/01/08 04:27 PM
Kriston-

Do you use the babysitter to get work done, or just for when you go out of the house? I have a mother's helper who comes in for a morning once a week,and she's worth her weight in gold. I am able to focus on a task (defrosting the freezer, cleaning out the linen closet, etc.) and get so much more done without the constant interruptions of my two year old.

My oldest at home is now 11 and can take care of his little sisters in a pinch, but he really benefits from the time off too. He has a lot of household responsibilities and seems to appreciate having another kid around to take care of the little ones. I've noticed that he is offering to spend time with the baby more since we hired the helper a few months ago. Last week, he sat and helped her practice writing words on her magnadoodle. She was thrilled to have the attention and he basked in the glow of her adoration. It was really sweet!
Posted By: Lorel Re: homeschooling groups - 01/01/08 04:37 PM
I also want to point out that it is possible to drop homeschoolers off for playdates, classes led by other parents, tutored groups, etc. It's just that the more kids you have learning at home, the less likely you are to be free of them all simultaneously! I do have good friends who will take all three of my younger kids at once, but I don't like to impose that on them very often.

Those who are lucky enough to live near involved grandparents who are retired can let the Grands take care of the kids now and then. I will confess that I am envious of the families who have doting grandparents who volunteer to take the kids fishing, have them help in the garden, or just sit around and talk or play board games. Kids can learn so much from connecting with that generation.
Posted By: Lori H. Re: homeschooling groups - 01/01/08 06:32 PM
Yes, his friends are all in brick and mortar schools. Two of them have moms who are teachers--one of them happens to be a special ed teacher with gifted sons. She has known my son for four years and he has spent the night over at her house several times and her kids come to sleepovers at our house. She noticed my son's sensory issues and motor planning difficulties and convinced me to take him back to the doctor. So I guess she is probably the closest thing to a friend I have--and she is close to my age. In fact, all my son's friends' parents are close to my age. They all have college degrees, one is an engineer and two are teachers. I feel like I fit in with them.

Where I live, 30 something year old grandmothers are common. There are two women in the homeschool group that might be about my age but they have a lot of kids. One woman in the group told me she had a lot of kids because she always wanted to homeschool and couldn't imagine just homeschooling one. She said she grew up as an only child and didn't want her kids to be lonely. I told her that I had only one child at home because I didn't think I could afford any more and I didn't want my son to do without things he needed like his dad (one of 8 children) had to do as a child. Another woman in the group overheard me saying that I wished part time school were available and they all seem to think this is terrible. When I mentioned that I might talk to my legislators about having the laws changed to require schools to offer this, they told me that I would ruin things for them. Most of them are homeschooling for religious reasons and they are afraid the "government" will make things more difficult for them if laws are changed. So my chances of finding friends in this homeschooling group are not good.

I enrolled my son in homeschool PE several months ago in the city about 30 miles from where I live thinking I would meet other moms like me. No such luck. They wore nice clothes, looked like they spent a lot of money on their hair, and of course they were younger. I could feel them looking at me and my son, but they didn't speak to me. So no luck there either.

Several months ago I saw a homeschool newsletter that talked about a free day at a weather center and I noticed a name that I recognized the name of a woman who used to post on a gifted message board several years ago. I remembered that her son was close to my son's age and had similar interests. But he is also in public school but grade skipped and they live about 45 minutes away. I think this boy would fit in really well with my son's group of friends, but he lives too far away.

There is also a woman that I found from TAGMAX that lives about 45 minutes away that also homeschools but my son is in between her kids' ages.

I have not found any other 2E kids like my son. I realize he is very lucky to have the friends he has. He and his musical theater group performed at a New Years Eve event last night and several former members of the group came to watch and they also talked to my son. I realized he has more friends than just the four. I think the kids in this group will be friends for life.

Posted By: Kriston Re: homeschooling groups - 01/01/08 06:44 PM
Kriston-

Do you use the babysitter to get work done, or just for when you go out of the house?

Well, both, sort of. I have a college student who comes in as often as I can get her. Originally it was supposed to be 3 hours or so virtually every weekday morning (when I do my best wrting) so that I could have time to write. Since we started home schooling, I use her more for a mental health break than anything else. Sometimes I even just go in a room by myself and read or play a computer game. I am definitely trying to put my sanity first!

Unfortunately, the every-morning thing hasn't worked this year at all. The sitter's class schedule has been bad--I only had her 7 hours per week last quarter, and we're down to about 4-5 hours per week in the quarter that starts next Monday, with only 2 of those hours on a morning. So...when combined with the greater demands of HSing, time to myself is getting significantly more precious.

My DH does his best to support me, but he works long hours and needs time alone, too. We do our best to be sensitive to one another and balance our needs, but two introverts can only do so much.

Mostly I've just let go any goals I had for the book for this year. I do get an occasional Sat. to myself to write, but it's slow going when it's only once a week.

I don't mean to sound whiny about it. As I said, I knew what I was getting into when we chose to HS. I honestly don't think most people would have the problem that I'm having. I'm just unusually desperate for time to myself. Then, too, it will improve as the kids get older.

Actually, I think of this time as I thought of the time when my kids were babies and I didn't get as much sleep as I wanted: this too shall pass. I do what I can to keep going and I know it will get better eventually.

<shrug>

Overall, HSing really has been a great thing for our family. I know it doesn't sound like it from this thread, but it really has! And HSing was the only choice to save the school year for DS6. This is a temporary blip, not a generalized problem with HSing, I don't think.

P.S. Lorel, our HS group doesn't do drop-off events for kids the age of my kids. If they are going to an activity, I have to be there. Even playdates aren't drop-offs around here. It's a shame; that would really help me!
Posted By: Lorel Re: homeschooling groups - 01/01/08 10:32 PM
Kriston-

I really feel for you and not being free to write your book. That must be very frustrating. Are you open to allowing an hour of educational tv or computer time so you can get something done while he is in your care?

My homeschool large group functions (board game day, for instance) do not permit drop off, as that would be a logistical nightmare for the few parents forced to endure it! But it's quite acceptable to ask another parent to give us a break and take an extra child or two there, as long as they agree to be responsible for them.

The more academic groups that usually involve only a handful of kids are more usually the drop off variety here. So I can drop my older two at a homeschool science class and then either return home or spend a couple hours enjoying the morning with a friend who has an older child in the class and two younger kids at home. I'm a sucker for a hot cup of tea and conversation, so I tend to chose option B!

Most of the people in our group do "family" playdates until they get to know the parents and children a bit. Then we progress to drop offs, though playdates can often be as much fun for the parents as for the children! So it is possible that you guys are still in "newbie" mode or that others consider your child too young to remain at a playdate without you.

Hang in there, and I'm sure that your options will increase as time goes on. You're wise to think of it in terms of a passing phase.

take care-

Posted By: Kriston Re: homeschooling groups - 01/02/08 01:21 AM
We use TV and computer time sparingly. The trouble is that I don't want DS3 to get much media time--I think he's probably too young for even as much as he gets, so I'm pretty miserly about it. I generally think of it as an emergency measure so that I can get some mental health time rather than a way to get writing time. With all the research and stuff that I have to dig into in order to write, I really need a bigger chunk of more concentrated & less interrupted time than TV would allow. Usually I send the boys outside if I really need a break. I feel like that's a healthier option for all of us!

I'm still considered a newbie in our HS group, I'm sure. We have befriended one family in the group that I can have watch DS6--who's quite independent and easy to watch--for a few minutes while I run DS3 to preschool and come right back, but I haven't asked for any more than that. We have playdates with them, but always with parents there, too. They're the sort who keep their son close at all times, and I sincerely doubt that they'd ever ask me to return the favor of a drop-off playdate. If they did accept a drop-off with just DS6, I'm afraid I'd feel like I was imposing (and thereby harming the friendship) or taking advantage. At this point, it's not worth it to me to risk it.

We have regular playdates with another mom and her kids, but she's a very close friend (so close that I was with her in the delivery room when she had her second child!), and visiting together once a week is important to us both. Plus she has her hands ridiculously full already--she's trying to finish her dissertation on top of HSing *and* being a wife and a mom to a very active 1yo and an 8yo with some 2E issues. crazy If anyone should be offering to take all the kids, it should really be me offering to take hers!

I think most people would feel that DS3 is too young to be dropped off. And given that he's an extrovert and needs a lot of attention (that DS6 usually is happy to provide for him), dropping off DS6 alone for a playdate wouldn't help me, unless we could arrange something during DS3's preschool time...which is my most productive HSing time with DS6. And even if we could arrange something, it wouldn't be a regular, dependable time for writing.

So, as I said, I'm resigned to putting the book mostly on hold for this school year. <shrug> It's not being dropped, just temporarily shelved, so I'm okay with it, provided I get back to it next year, one way or another. (And that's the reason we're looking into the private gifted school...Just call the gifted school "one way"! wink ) The sacrifice is not ideal, but it's necessary. But two years of sacrifice at this level is unacceptable to both DH and me. We'll figure something out.
Posted By: Kriston Re: homeschooling groups - 01/02/08 01:22 AM
Of course, as I look back at that LONG post, I am also struck by the thought that if I could just write the book the way I write my posts here, the darned thing would be done!

Ah, the irony! smile
Posted By: incogneato Re: homeschooling groups - 01/02/08 01:43 AM
Hi all,

Krison, I've been reading your posts here with great interest. As previously mentioned, I have homeschooling on the back burner. My biggest hesitations are some of the things you have mentioned. I am very social, but I absolutely need solitude time. Pretty much as much as I need oxygen!! It doesn't have to be a whole lot, but I need some.
We have a membership to a fitness club which allows you to drop off child/children for up to two hours while you "work out". You can't leave the facility, but you could be reading, writing etc. in one of the lounges and I've thought that this might work for me if I do homeschool... Do you have any options like that where you live?
Posted By: Kriston Re: homeschooling groups - 01/02/08 07:46 AM
Yes, as a matter of fact I do. I like how you think! smile

However, I try to use the gym for my workouts. In fact, my resolution for this year is to get back to exercising faithfully like I did before I injured my neck this past summer. To tell you the whole truth, I suspect a significant part of my problem is that I'm feeling fat and lazy since I couldn't exercise at all and I gained back a bunch of the weight I had lost last year. frown My head doesn't feel as clear, I experience insomnia and weird sleep patterns (it's nearly 3 a.m. as I type this...), and I feel sluggish all the time. I think I have a little bit of Seasonal Affective Disorder. Exercise does a lot to take care of all those things.

For a number of reasons, the 2 hours of babysitting at the gym doesn't work well for writing time, I'm afraid. I've tried. But it *IS* key to my sanity to get over there to exercise. And that *DOES* count as alone time for me, so if I get back to the gym more often, I could use my time at home for more than mental health.

With all that said...Incog, I really hope this thread isn't turning you off of home schooling! That would make me sad because it is a very workable option. I suspect that for any NORMAL person, the amount of alone time I get would be more than enough. It's just my own quirk.

Plus most people aren't goofy enough to try to write a novel while home schooling with kids as young as mine. Just me! Take the book out of the equation, and I'm sure I'm no more overburdened than any other mom!
Posted By: incogneato Re: homeschooling groups - 01/02/08 02:09 PM
No way do I think you are goofy, Kriston. I can relate to your struggles which is why I've benefitted from reading your posts. It hasn't turned me off at all, just confirmed for me what the issue would be for me if I did homeschool. It just allows me to think a little more about it and prepare for it better.
Right now, the kids seem to be doing okay in school, but a red flag pops every now and again. I could forsee a certain point where I would homeschool if that would be in their best interests, which is why I'm looking into it. I gave DD7 the singapore pre-tests to see which book we could work on after school etc.
I think you a doing a great thing by homeschooling. As I've mentioned earlier, my k-12 experience was just ridiculous, I've often thought homeschooling would have made a huge difference for me then.

It goes without saying, but I'm glad this forum is here for all of us to exchange ideas. I wouldn't go so far as to say you are no more overburdoned than any other mom. I wouldn't trade my situation for anything, but I do know I can't talk about it with just any moms. I honestly can't even talk about it to my gifted denial family, mostly(except for my dad). It's great to come here and find kindred spirits!!
Good luck with the book, I'm sure it will get written one way or the other!!!!!!!!!!!

Incog
Posted By: Kriston Re: homeschooling groups - 01/02/08 02:51 PM
Forewarned is definitely forearmed! I'm glad the conversation is helping you to be prepared. That's a good thing. And I'm happy to answer any questions or direct you to resources if I can. Heaven knows I had lots of questions at the start of this year. I'm glad to give back. Karma and all that...

I think like any other new thing, HSing has taken some adjustment. I've had something of the perfect storm this year, what with my injury, my reduced babysitting, and the emergency home schooling. It's only natural that things would be a bit challenging!

Thanks for the kind wishes about the book. Happily, I have the whole day to write today, so that's what I'm going to go do! laugh
Posted By: Kriston Re: homeschooling groups - 01/02/08 09:44 PM
P.S. It was a good writing day!

I got plenty of uninterrupted time to write, and I finished a draft of the big funeral scene that has been my albatross for the past 6 months or so. Hopefully things will move along much more easily now. It just wasn't a scene I could write little by little, but the big, all-day push worked for me! Heaven bless the babysitter!

Happy happy joy joy! laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: incogneato Re: homeschooling groups - 01/02/08 09:55 PM
Congrats Kriston, that's great!!!!!

You give me hope that one day, I too shall accomplish some non-mom goals!!!!!!!!!!

Incgon
Posted By: Kriston Re: homeschooling groups - 01/02/08 10:17 PM
Thanks, Incog. I joked with the babysitter that if I can keep up this pace, I should finish the book in, oh, about 40 years...

LOL!

Now if I can just get back to the gym, I'll actually start feeling like a real person again. Yahoo!
Posted By: kimck Re: homeschooling groups - 01/02/08 10:33 PM
Good for you Kriston! How wonderful. I have babysitter envy. DD3 could definitely use a day with a babysitter. She's been sick the past week and is driving me nuts.

And Incog - I can totally relate to the gifted denial family! Thank heavens for the internet.
Posted By: Kriston Re: homeschooling groups - 01/02/08 10:52 PM
It was wonderful! I feel like a new woman!

I just wish I hadn't ODd on coffee. I hope I'm not up all night paying for my freedom...
Posted By: kimck Re: homeschooling groups - 01/02/08 11:14 PM
Ha Kriston! I always OD on coffee when I have free time. I just feel like I can get so much more done. But I usually pay the price at night too. Good luck! Hope you have a good book to curl up with!
Posted By: Kriston Re: homeschooling groups - 01/03/08 12:53 AM
Sipping coffee (without a lid to keep the kids from spilling it) also makes me feel like a grownup. I tend to drink a lot more when they're not with me.

smile

Think we've gone far afield enough with this thread yet? wink
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum