Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: WannaBeGTEduc Celebrating!!! (Cautiously Optimistic) - 05/18/09 04:08 AM
Woo Hoo! We may have found the best solution for DD9's education (at this point, I'll take "good enough"). We are so excited.

I posted last fall about how I had visited the perfect school for DD9 (DD8 at the time), but that it was almost impossible to get into the school. Just to apply, you have to be in the 99th percentile, and then go through a series of tests after which only 25-50% of the applicants get accepted. Well...

... DD9 made it into the program!! We are so excited. It seems amazing - they are with age and IQ-level peers full time, class sizes are really small, and they each have a custom education plan. We visited the school with DD9, who was sad about leaving her friends, but she is now very excited.

Not surprisingly, we have been struggling with the right way to answer questions about why we're changing schools. However, I have high hopes that this time next year our family life will be much improved, which gets me through the awkward moments.

I have not posted for a while, but this past year has been full of stress, and you all have helped so much. Even when I just lurk, I feel better and often learn something :-)

I hope all of you are finding your "good enough" solutions for next year!

Wanna,

Congrats to your DD and all of you. I hope it is a great fit. It definitely sounds like it. I will have my fingers crossed that it all works out for you.
Posted By: S-T Re: Celebrating!!! (Cautiously Optimistic) - 05/18/09 04:54 AM
Yay!!! Happy to know that u have found your solution. smile
I'm glad you found a solution. Congrats to your DD!
Posted By: kimck Re: Celebrating!!! (Cautiously Optimistic) - 05/18/09 12:24 PM
Congratulations! That's wonderful.

When we started homeschooling this year, we had to answer a lot of questions about why we left our much beloved neighborhood school. I found that if I said my son wasn't happy there and it didn't seem to be a good fit for him, that was enough for 95% of people asking. And interestingly enough, many of the other people who inquired further had issues with the school as well.

Good luck! You'll have to let us know how it goes. I'm very curious about full time HG-PG programs!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Celebrating!!! (Cautiously Optimistic) - 05/18/09 12:48 PM
Yup. "Not a good fit" and "not happy" usually covers it. After all, most people don't really care why your child left. Not really. They just want to make sure they're not missing something important.

So glad you found a better school! Yay! laugh
Yay! I love hearing good news here. Congrats to your DD. And i'm so happy for you that she's excited about the new school now!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum