Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Nautigal Feeling lucky - 04/29/09 03:13 AM
I had never realized how lucky we are until I found this board. It just astonishes me to read about "friends" and family telling your children they only think they can read, that they can't really do the stuff they're sitting there doing, and all the other things that you've had to put up with. We have never had anyone tell DS6 that he can't do what he does--they only have to be around him for a few minutes before they figure out what he can do, and the first thing they want to do is go show him off to somebody else! Pretty soon they just take him for granted and don't think about it anymore.

The schools are another matter--we are very lucky in our school and teachers so far, with everyone recognizing his abilities and just working to document it for future program plans. But I was raised in a household that put no stock in the supposed intelligence of anyone working for a school or school district, with ample reason. My parents went around and around with the schools for all of us, fighting every step of the way against ignorance and stupidity, and I am all geared up for that battle if it ever comes! Since we are intentionally keeping our kids out of the school district that I grew up in, I may not have to fight as much.

But anyway, I just wanted to say that you guys have opened my eyes to a world I hadn't imagined--I'm sorry for your travails, and glad for the warning.
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Feeling lucky - 04/29/09 07:18 AM
I was just commenting to Dh that I learn so much on this board, and when it comes to advocating for ds I feel pretty prepared...but then the school just keeps doing all the right things, lol! I'm left all geared up to debate and all I can do is say, 'ok! sounds good!' Keeping ny fingers crossed! smile
Posted By: Mamabear Re: Feeling lucky - 04/29/09 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Nautigal
I had never realized how lucky we are until I found this board. It just astonishes me to read about "friends" and family telling your children they only think they can read, that they can't really do the stuff they're sitting there doing, and all the other things that you've had to put up with.

One of my favorite (said with sarcasm) phrases that we heard a lot was: Reading at age 2 is a splinter skill!!! lol

It can be frustrating at times for sure, but I like to look back on the "early years" and laugh at the comments we endured. It gives perspective to things that we are hearing now. The best advice we ever got was simple, "Keep your sense of humor!"
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Feeling lucky - 04/29/09 10:55 PM
What the heck is a "splinter skill"? Does that mean if we pull it out, they'll go back to "normal"? LOL!
Posted By: VolcanoMom Re: Feeling lucky - 05/01/09 12:09 AM
smile

I feel lucky I found this board because I didn't have anyone outside my close family to talk with about DS7's abilities - or my challenges. It's been very isolating so thank you! I'm also beginning to better understand DS7's frustration with his school.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum