Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
You know it was a bad day at school when.........

Your six year old hops into the car in the carpool line and shouts: "Step on it!!"

You know you will be getting a call from the teacher later that day when..........

said child adds: "My teacher is chasing me!"

Had that day last week. Long story short: DS6 can't go on the field trip Thursday unless a personal chaperone attends.

<sigh>

Did the teacher call? We got two (count them, two) nasty letters.

Val

Yikes! But, Val, you have to make it into a funny song/story/poem!

If we're not laughin, we're cryin' wink

Plus, this is purely and ANECDOTAL story...... double wink !
Okay, I'll change the emoticon, I just wanted to use the raspberries one!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

DH and I are **ROLLING**, 'Neato!
Okay ... I had to read this one out loud. Big smile on my face. So glad you can find humor when you are in the middle of it. A sign of a strong woman.
Thanks KMom. It takes one to know one! grin
How about this? 3 weeks ago I gave GS9 a written permission slip stating he had my permission to stop seeing the (trainee)counselor at school. 2 weeks ago, every. single. one. of. his. teachers. AND counselor. showed up at our scheduled parent/teacher conference, trying to make their case that GS9 MUST keep seeing said counselor. Sheesh, I wish they were half as concerned about his intellectual growth as his social growth!

Anyway, I stood my ground(actually dug in deeper!), and reminded everyone that they had my email and if they saw behavior that concerned them to please email me immediately! So, two weeks now, no emails, GS has not self-destructed nor threatened destruction upon anyone else. He even seems happier than he has in a while. I think he got a bit of a 'high' taking the Explore, and it may take a bit longer to wear off. That, or his dog has been better therapy than seeing a counselor at school.

So, we've had some bad days this year, in some ways, better than before but in others - it's getting worse.
Way to stick to your guns, OHG! That's hilarious (in a kind of pathetic way...)
Okay ... by a show of Smilecons ... who here thinks Calvin and Hobbes is the absolute best comic strip ever?

And if you do think this does that mean we are doomed with our own kids?

But Dottie is so right about a Calvin and Hobbes moment. I could visually see the strip as I read the lines.
Ha, 'Neato! Is it that bad, really? Poor kid!

It does sound like a Calvin and Hobbes; it's actually very strange to see that reference here...

... Because ds6 has been *obsessed* with Calvin and Hobbes for the past four weeks or so. Dh loved C&H as a kid, and bought ds a few of the collections. Ds been reading these books over and over at bedtime and "quiet time.". He has his favorite strips memorized and makes us re-enact them in the car. crazy

It's clear how much he identifies with Calvin; he even still has a very personified, large-in-size lovey that he still loves to death. I think Calvin is an admired hero among GT kids!
Originally Posted by incogneato
Yikes! But, Val, you have to make it into a funny song/story/poem!

!

Oh, when teacher, she called,

The kid was a-cryin'

Said teacher appalled,

"A chair went a-flyin.'"

"Coming," I yipped while he bawled,

"I'll drive fast --- See? I'm a-tryin'!

Got there too late

DS melted down.

"I hate! I hate!"

He howled with a frown.

Teacher, she state,

"He just won't sit down."

So it was home, home, we went

To talk one-on-one.

DS flopped down, and boy, did he vent

"My school is no fun!"

Came his sorry lament.

And then, to us, in the mail came a letter.

Official it was, quite stern was its tone.

And if one letter's good, two can be better.

"For field trip," school said. "One word: cha-per-one.

To the beach we'll go, so do bring a sweater

Or maybe instead, you can both stay at home."

Val!
LOL!!! Val, you are GOOD!
PMSL!! Val that was hilarious!!
Yes Calvin& Hobbes are a big favorite amongst all of us here, ds8 has a little stuffed leopard he calls 'Pum', which is a joke, of course it's short for Puma. He will often draw cartoons of Some Boy and Pum having adventures. He slept with his various Calvin and Hobbes books for many months. Might be time to get another one...

You know your kid is GT when he's got a *way* better sense of humor than the teachers/the whole school - sorry to hear about it Val/neato, but at least they are good stories!! smile

Val, you are my hero! I love it!

Did anyone else read that as a rap and hear a beat box in their head while reading?!?!?! grin

Ironically, I've never even read a Calvin and Hobbes comic! I just asked DD if she read one in school, she says no.

I guess, why read it, when apparantly we live it!

Val if you haven't joined OGTOC, I encourage you to and share your *rap* poem. It's just TOO good not to share. We all need our spirits lifted from time to time, your poem does the trick and I hope you took some joy from writing that!

http://giftedonlineconferences.ning.com/

One day at at time,,,,,,right? wink
These stories are great; it's wonderful that neato and val can find humor in the crummy days. Love the poem Val!

But this, this is a travesty! Quick, run to the library and get a collection of C&H!

Ironically, I've never even read a Calvin and Hobbes comic! I just asked DD if she read one in school, she says no.

Okay, but if DD reads it, will it validate her, making her feel *okay* with her personality? Or will is simply inspire her to pursue exponentially more *shenanigans*?

crazy
Okay, but if DD reads it, will it validate her, making her feel *okay* with her personality? Or will is simply inspire her to pursue exponentially more *shenanigans*?

crazy

Well, that's hard to say... I think I mentioned here before that the first book DS5 read independently was Calvin & Hobbes, so he could "get some ideas for making mischief" or something like that...

Originally Posted by st pauli girl, from last september
I have to report that I did find the calvin and hobbes books and read a bit to DS4 last week. This morning, he gets up and says, "where's that calvin and hobbes book? I need to look for some ideas for mischief." (And for the first time ever, I spotted him reading a book by himself - so i'm still weighing the positives and negatives with this one!) And last week at the grocery store, he quoted Calvin while he was sitting in the cart: "Mom, go really fast and then let go!"
Oh....SPG! We're going to have some wonderful stories to swap!!
When your 6 year old says ...
"you know when Rosa Parks boycotted the bus, we should boycott the school because we learn nothing"

I heard a rap in Val's work of art, too, 'Neato! Love that, Val! laugh

DS7 was given an old "Best of Calvin and Hobbes" book by my mom earlier in the school year. He LOVED it. Read it for weeks!

'Neato, I'm buying you a used copy of C&H right now! Look for an Amazon package at your doorstep presently. We must fill that hole in your cultural life.

grin

(And yes, I'm serious as a heart attack!)
Val, that's absolutely hilarious. Ok, you probably didn't laugh when it happened but your poem is way too much fun.
FINE Kriston. You know what this means though......I shall get even........mmmmwuuuhhaaahaahaaaaaaaaaaa!
Good one, Tracey!!
It cost $4 ($3.99 of which was shipping), 'Neato, so no worries. smile

I told DS7 that I was buying it for you because you'd never read C&H, and he replied "What! Never? What kind of person is she?!?"

ROFL! Obviously it's a seminal work for the under-8 crowd! grin
With all the snow that has fallen I often wonder ... who has staged the famous Calvin and Hobbes snowmen scenes? I live in Central Texas so our 'snow' when we do get it is ice mixed: pathetic to say the least but I definitely tried to create the scenes when I was a kid. Be it a miniature scene. So the decapitated snowmen as if in a war zone is heightened by the gigantic kids stomping on them. Yes ... like I said: I LOVE Calvin and Hobbes. And Kriston really needs to send you a book Neato...you will be hooked.
Sounds like I will! I'll give it to DD and let her know it's a gift from you guys, you thought she just *had* to have it.

smile

Thanks, you made my day....I'll still get you back when you least expect it!!
C&H have been STANDARD in our house for the past ... 3 years? DS6 taught himself to read via Calvin & Hobbes.

sorry for the story, Val - how is your guy today?

and

are you going to the beach?
Hi Incogneato.
I keep saying I have to write these stories down but I always forget to.
Calvin and Hobbes has become my sons preferred language. He LOVES the humor. In fact, this morning, he asked if he could change his name to Calvin!
Lots of C/H fans here as well....
DS had a solid couple months of Calvin and Hobbes right after kindergarten.

Love the rap - hilarious.
DS had a solid couple months of Calvin and Hobbes right after kindergarten.

Love the rap - hilarious.
Val, you are my hero! I love it!

Did anyone else read that as a rap and hear a beat box in their head while reading?!?!?! grin

Val if you haven't joined OGTOC, I encourage you to and share your *rap* poem. It's just TOO good not to share. We all need our spirits lifted from time to time, your poem does the trick and I hope you took some joy from writing that!

Thanks all! I had a lot of fun writing it, and I was trying to make it sound rap-y (rappy?). I was counting syllables to try to equalize them between lines (didn't always succeed...).

Re: Calvin and Hobbes. Have I ever mentioned that I took a personality test 15 years ago, and that Calvin was in the group of people who shared my personality traits? I was extremely chuffed with that result!

I haven't joined OGTOC, but will check it out this weekend.

Val
Posted By: Anonymous Re: You know it was a bad day at school when........ - 03/07/09 03:10 PM
Years ago (he's 27 now) we had to confiscate Calvin and Hobbes books because he decided to act out everything. He eventually got them back. I remember the first day of his 3rd gr. His teacher called, angry, saying he was found on the playground with a screwdriver, a "weapon" she called it. He'd said he was an" archaeologist and was doing a dig." She scolded him heatedly. Her personality proved fascist-like and it was not a happy year for him. Very much like Mrs. Danvers in "Rebecca" for all you old movie buffs. Yep, sometimes we have to laugh.
Oh, Val, I feel for you, but love they way you are writing about it here. I need to learn how you do it smile

Yes, C&H is a big favorite for Dh and I along with FoxTrot. We have avoided sharing these with DS. Current behaviors is bad enough, we don't need to add in reanactments of the comics smile I live in dread of the day he discovers them for himself lol smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum