Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: greenlotus Anxiety in the time of the virus - 03/30/20 07:54 PM
Our younger DD was diagnosed with anxiety a few years back, but as we live overseas, we have not been able to address the situation medically. When the virus hit, we flew back to the states to wait it out.

So I wonder - should we take advantage of this time to do a med trial? DD is more anxious due to the world wide health situation. I go back and forth on whether this is the right time to try this yet when we go back to our expat life, we won't even have the option.

Posted By: cricket3 Re: Anxiety in the time of the virus - 03/30/20 08:25 PM
I would certainly consider it- but would suggest seeing if you can find a health care professional with whom you and she can work. It sounds like you might benefit from exploring the pros and cons, and having someone who knows (and is known by) your daughter might really help and make decisions easier. For what it’s worth, you may be able to find someone who is willing to work with you remotely (at least part of the time) as far as managing dose, potential side effects, etc.

Our DD was helped tremendously with medication for anxiety- though we (unfortunately) weren’t able to address it until it was fairly debilitating. After a short time on meds, she was finally capable of working effectively on non-medical aspects of handling/coping with her anxiety. She previously was stubbornly resistant and just unable to find the mental space for that kind of work, if that makes sense. She subsequently learned meditation, and other techniques and has found significant relief. I believe she will always have an anxious personality, but having the tools to manage has allowed her to function at a high level and be successful; I am not sure she could have learned or accessed these tools without the initial help of medication.

Good luck- it can be such a challenging problem for a kid/family to manage.
Posted By: greenlotus Re: Anxiety in the time of the virus - 04/03/20 03:30 AM
Update: due to the corona virus, doctors can now work across state borders and write scripts as well for people in other locations. We were happy to work with DD's previous psych who put DD on a trial run of anti-anxiety meds. I will be curious how this plays out for DD as she is not facing her usual anxiety provoking situations (crowds, school). She took her first dose today.
Posted By: Platypus101 Re: Anxiety in the time of the virus - 04/03/20 10:40 AM
Good luck greenlotus - I am wishing you and DD all the best in the meds trial. Anxiety is a beast to live with. Here's hoping she finds the support and relief that allows her to be the self she wants to be. Hugs to you and both DDs in these strange times.
Posted By: aeh Re: Anxiety in the time of the virus - 04/03/20 01:47 PM
Oh good to hear there's been at least this positive. Best to you and your DD.
Posted By: greenlotus Re: Anxiety in the time of the virus - 04/05/20 07:49 PM
Thank you all so much. Absolutely amazing in the midst of this that we have been able to work out a good situation for DD. I understand that her meds will take awhile to reach full affect, but we have not seen any negative side affects so far.
Again, thank you all for your support! I wish everyone well.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum