Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Cola HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/07/15 03:06 AM
My 9 year old son just started taking medication for adhd. Tonight he said hes the biggest screwup and wants to commit suicide. He started taking the medication a week ago would we be seeing these side effects this quickly? Im obviously taking him off of it but i dont know what else to do.
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/07/15 03:10 AM
Talk to your doctor before you take him off. Even though he's only been on it for a little while, he may need to taper off. And the doctor may not agree that he needs to come off of it. My daughter was an anxious mess for her first two days on Concerta, but we kept giving it to her, and by the end of the first week she was thriving.
Posted By: puffin Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/07/15 06:13 AM
Don't just take him off it but do get him to the doctor ASAP if not sooner.
Posted By: Mahagogo5 Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/07/15 06:19 AM
hugs cola
Posted By: Aufilia Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/07/15 06:22 AM
Call the after-hours line at your doctor's office, if they have one.

What medication is he taking?

And if you've been seeing a pediatrician for ADHD prescriptions, I'd find a pediatric psychiatrist with ADHD experience. They can have long wait lists but you might try to get an emergency appointment.
Posted By: Tigerle Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/07/15 08:34 AM
I think I'd go to the ER, frankly.
Posted By: Mahagogo5 Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/07/15 11:11 AM
What tigerle said - I think any threat needs to be acted upon immediatly and the hospital can ensure he is adequately supervised while his medication is sorted and gives you a bit of breathing space
Posted By: ultramarina Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/07/15 11:53 AM
I was very surprised to learn that this is not extremely uncommon in children when my DD made this type of threat, also at age 9. That said, I would call someone ASAP. Also, use your judgement as to how serious the threat is. DD was vague and did not seem serious, but it was still terrifying to hear.
Posted By: Cola Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/07/15 02:03 PM
Well he got upset that we took his xbox away because he hadnt finished his homework. He said he was stupid and hated his life and just wanted to commit suicide. After talking to him and explaining how much that bothers us and scares us he broke down. He gets angry rather quickly but now we dont know if it was that or the pills.
Posted By: DeeDee Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/07/15 03:51 PM
Some ADHD meds can cause anger or irritability in the wear-off phase. Different drugs work better or worse for different people in this regard. Talk to your prescriber ASAP and see what they recommend.
Posted By: howdy Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/07/15 05:15 PM
I would also call the pediatrician today.
Posted By: Loy58 Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/07/15 06:16 PM
Cola, no advice, but offering support. I am so sorry you and your DS are going through this.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/07/15 07:46 PM
What a truly dreadful outcome. Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.
Posted By: Mana Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/07/15 08:31 PM
Please do contact your prescribing physician and ask for a referral to someone who specializes in child psychiatry.

It sounds to me that he needs help regardless of the cause.
Posted By: KADmom Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/07/15 08:59 PM
I'm so sorry, Cola. I don't have any advice to offer, but I'll keep you and your sweet ds in my thoughts.
Posted By: Cola Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/08/15 05:18 AM
Spoke with the dr and they are taking it seriously. He is to stop the medication asap and they are contacting the neuropsych for all paperwork. If he mentions it again im to take him straight to phoenix childrens hospital. He had a good day today and was happy and cheerful so im not as terrified but hes now dealing with insomnia frown
Posted By: ndw Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/08/15 05:46 AM
Well done Cola. A very scary situation but I am so very glad your doctor is taking it seriously and you have a plan for emergencies.

The Canadian government has recently increased the warnings on many ADHD medications because of the link with suicidal thoughts. While thoughts are far more common than action it is just so wise of you to take such an appropriate path.

You are doing all the right things. Keep up the surveillance, make sure any people he spends time with apart from you know to watch him closely. With good fortune it will settle down.

Thinking of you and wishing you all the best in a difficult time.
Posted By: Mahagogo5 Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/08/15 06:10 AM
great news Cola, much better to take these things seriously
Posted By: Cola Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/09/15 01:05 AM
Thank you. Hes still really happy so hopefully he never says that again lol
Posted By: howdy Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/09/15 02:45 AM
I am glad to hear the update. smile
Posted By: FruityDragons Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/09/15 03:00 AM
I hope everything goes well. Hang in there. You and your family will be in my thoughts as well.
Posted By: Tigerle Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/09/15 06:34 AM
Thanks for the update. What a scary situation. Sounds like you are in good hands, though. Wishing you all well!
Posted By: StephanieF Re: HELP Ds 9 now thinking suicide - 04/20/15 05:16 AM
One thing I have come to realize with my 9-year-old son is that when he uses really strong phrases that if an adult were to say it it would mean something entirely different than what he, as a child means. I have found it is best to ask him to explain what he means by what he said. Almost always it is something different than what I thought. Make sure you ask him what he means. And of course call the doctor if anything seems scary after understanding what he means!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum