Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    JudAU Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    The CA Department of Education is voting on a revised Math Framework that strongly recommends the elimination of all accelerated math in middle school. All students would take Algebra in ninth grade and this would be the only choice. You can read the proposed math framework here: https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ma/cf/ Districts would not be required the changes but many would, limiting opportunities. Personally, I thinks this stinks of anti-Asian bias.

If this change matters to you, please email with your comments to mathframework@cde.ca.gov Please share this with anyone you think is interested.

Our LAUSD middle school currently offer four tracks ranging from grade through Algebra. Math is not one fits all.

E
    Online Content
    E
    I’m not in the US, so I’m ineligible to formally voice any objections, but I am dismayed for those affected. I hope your post reaches those who are affected and eligible to lodge formal objections. This is identical to the policy being adopted in Virginia, discussed in the thread ‘Virginia eliminating accelerated math before 11th’ (http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ia_eliminating_accelerat.html#Post248823).

In the state I live in, after school academic coaching is so prevalent that most students from highly aspirational families are working at the pace set by the coaching colleges rather than by their schools, so such a policy probably wouldn’t affect the majority, although I doubt there’s much need for such a policy here anyway, since they have already segregated students into two streams by having twenty three selective high schools, so the education system can offer two very different streams without the slow stream being aware of the inequity of opportunity. I wonder if similar factors might affect the number of responses to the changes proposed by the CA Department of Education.

Y
    Y
    this is not a very good idea! I am a mom of two LAUSD children and one of them is very advanced in math and is going to 6th grade this year and he got into Highly Gifted Magnet only because he is very bored in a regular program and not interested at all
    Crazy time for all of us 😩

YanaZ.
    I
    I
    JudAU, thanks for the heads-up and call to action. It is my understanding that similar initiatives to thwart acceleration, specifically subject acceleration in math, are unfolding simultaneously in many districts across the country. However, I have not yet heard of another STATE legislature dictating this state-wide.

That said, parents and other interested parties can look up pending legislation for their state, on the LEGISCAN website - https://legiscan.com/. For example, California would be https://legiscan.com/CA

BTW, Frattura & Capper promote one-size-fits-some education (and have been doing so since about 2007), unfortunately in this era of Common Core and equal outcomes, the concept is catching on. I see this education trend as experimenting on the current generation of children.

Fortunately, there is research available to counter the one-size-fits-all approach.

J
    JudAU Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    I am going to listen to the formal meeting and try and comment during the meeting. Unfortunately, this will end access to accelerated math who cannot afford the thousands of dollars a year in outside tutoring. SF has been doing this for several years, the number of Latino and Black students taking Calcutus reduced by half, and FIVE branches of Russian Math school opened during that time.

The document is stunning in its transparent attack on Asian-American, Gifted children, and especially gifted Asian-American students. I can’t believe this is t getting more news coverage.

E
    Online Content
    E
    I suspect a lot of the Asian Americans, like Asian Australians here (and many amongst my family & friends), particularly those from aspirational families, are already spending a lot of time in after school coaching colleges.

J
    JudAU Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    In the last four hours of testimony only one comment supported this provision in the framework.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM