Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 205 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Any ideas if this is a good idea?
    My 7th grader last year took Common Core 2/3 (which used to be Algebra I) and got a 95% all year. Last summer, he took a 5 week intensive Algebra I class at the community college. This summer, he's doing there 5-week Geometry class. Both classes are a year of high school math, in 5 weeks.
    The (summer) teacher emailed me that we should see if he can skip Integrated Math 1 next year for 8th grade and just go into Integrated Math 2.
    Any thoughts on this? What do they do anyway in these Integrate Math classes?

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Looking at the tables of contents for the Pearson integrated math series, it looks like Integrated Math I and II cover most of Algebra I (Common Core version) and geometry. Integrated Math III looks to be a light version of Algebra II with a bit of geometry.

Here is a link to the TOCs.

http://www.pearsonschool.com/index....101761&elementType=attribute&elementID=1

Val Offline
    Question: how much did you son really learn in five weeks of algebra and five of geometry?

I'm skeptical about these super-compacted summer classes, mainly because I love mathematics and its simplicity combined with complexity, and I have trouble seeing how they can get through much more than basics in that time frame. Some of the ideas in these two courses are pretty deep and need time to sink in.

I taught algebra to my daughter, and we took our time so that there was always time to do the difficult problems and time to step to the side and learn about a random mathematician, counting in different bases, or connections between things (such as how set theory relates to solving a system of equations). I'm trying to do the same with geometry.

That said, it depends on what you're looking for. If your son is going into math, engineering, or physics, I recommend the slower/ deeper route. For many other subjects, getting the basic knowledge will get him through school.

Other alternatives include AOPS.

More to be point, I'm also skeptical of CC math, especially as mixed with Pearson. But if your son already has knowledge of algebra and geometry, he might end not being confused by Pearson's dizzy way of presenting material --- though he could also end up doing a lot of face-palming over it.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I should clarify that I just used the Pearson series as an example. I have no idea what text the class will actually use.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    I do agree with you there. I thought last summer's Algebra I 5-week class was a bit too fast. He got a lot out of it though, and he aced his CC 2/3 class last year. He took the SAT last year as a 7th grader and did really well on it, qualifying for TIP.
    He's acing the 5-week geometry class this summer. I was thinking of asking the school if he could take a Geometry readiness test, if they have that.
    I had not thought of asking to skip next year's math but the summer Geometry teacher, who teaches CC math at a high school, suggested it.
    If it would be a good idea for him, he could then in high school take either 3 AP math classes (AB and BC calculus, AP statistics), or his senior year take college math at our local university (not a community college).

B
    B
    From your description Common Core 2/3 should be the completion of junior high math. Integrated I would be a typical Freshman class which covers part of what used to be Algebra, part of what used to be Geometry. (And the first few chapter of Algebra would have been covered in the jr high class) I would think a gifted math kid, who's taken a 5 week Algebra & 5 week Geometry class would be fine skipping Integrated I. This doesn't put your son any farther along in math than my son who took Algebra I in 7th & H. Geometry in 8th.

The point of Integrated Math is to teach math in a more logical manner. The old way of Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II wasn't particularly designed. The point is more for the struggling/average math student whom is make a lot of sense to give a good basic grounding in algebra & geometry before moving on to harder topics.

Last edited by bluemagic; 07/11/16 08:01 AM.
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    The way our school did math until a year ago was: accelerated students like my son took Algebra I in 7th grade, Geometry in 8th grade, Algebra II in 9th grade, Pre-calc in 10th grade, AB AP Calc in 11th grade, and BC Calc in 12th grade.
    Now it's CC 2/3 in 7th grade, Integrated 1 in 8th grade, Integrated 2 in 9th grade, Integrated 3/pre-calc in 10th grade, etc.
    If my son skips Integrated 1 next year, he could take 3 years of AP math at his school or dual enroll at our local state university.

V
    V
    Question here. I thought BC Calc includes AB Calc. Is this not repetitive?

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Well, I would think so but most good high schools offer two separate years of high school AP Calculus- AB and BC. Most kids I've seen who apply and get into competitive colleges take both.

C
    C
    Honestly, I think this really varies. Our school only offers calc BC, and it is covered in one year. I think this may be in part because after common core changes, a lot of what ls covered in pre-calc is actually calculus and so kids "begin" the calculus year having covered a lot of the early material in the previous year.
    However, I also had the understanding that the material in calc AB is all covered in calc BC and thus redundant.

Last edited by cricket3; 07/12/16 09:56 PM.
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM