Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    E
    elwood Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    I have an 8 yr old boy in 3rd grade. (We also have a 13 yr old boy in a gifted program) The school for our 3rd grader rotates gifted topics each year or two. As such: 1st grade - Math, 2nd & 3rd grade: Science & Social Studies, 4th grade: History, etc.

My issue with this approach is that it is a zero-sum game. In first grade he was doing 3rd grade math. In 2nd grade the gifted program shifted to different topics so any accelerated math learning in 1st grade is nullified in year 2. Accelerated learning is offset by equally decelerated learning.

Our 13 yr old was in a different elementary school (both public) where they continued to build upon prior accelerated learning which made a lot more sense to me. Our 8 yr old's gifted teacher (1 for the entire elem school) also fails to see the logic in this approach.

I plan on taking this concern up the the principal of the school, but wanted to find out if there is some school of thought in the gifted community behind this approach. I don't see the logic, but perhaps others could enlighten me as to the benefits.

I appreciate any feedback.

I don't know what you mean about it being a zero-sum game, but definitely think it sounds inefficient at best! The only possible justification for such an approach that I can think of is that the time could be spent diving more deeply into a topic, but I still think the arrangement is stupid. (In addition, I would be happy enough if history never appeared in a curriculum of extra gifted work, as long as it appeared in the regular curriculum.)

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    E
    elwood Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    By zero sum game I mean that at the end of a given period (2 yrs.) the students have been exposed to no more content than without the "gifted" program. One year's gain is zeroed out by the next year loss in the same subject matter.

Thanks for your perspective. As I plan to take this to the school administration I'd like to have SOME idea as to the logic behind their approach. I would like to think that there must be some logic there.

Val Offline
    What did the principal say about it?

E
    elwood Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Have not gone to her yet. Will update once I have.

M
    M
    I have read somewhere, sorry can't remember where, reputable source though, about accelerating all subjects at once not being ideal for gifted kids. Although I'm fairly sure they were talking about more than 2 or 3 subjects at a time.

Maybe they are misinterpreting the above mentioned research.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by Momma Bear
    I have read somewhere, sorry can't remember where, reputable source though, about accelerating all subjects at once not being ideal for gifted kids. Although I'm fairly sure they were talking about more than 2 or 3 subjects at a time.

Maybe they are misinterpreting the above mentioned research.

Good luck!

Any details Momma Bear? I can't make this info fit with my life experience....maybe they think that once you subject accelerate in more than 3 subjects it's time for a full grade skip?

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by elwood
    By zero sum game I mean that at the end of a given period (2 yrs.) the students have been exposed to no more content than without the "gifted" program.

I'll bet you a dollar it's in a misguided attempt to keep the gifted kids occupied and not let them get ahead in any individual subject. For some educators the fact that some kids are going to be later bloomers and not qualify right away for whatever guideline that is currently being used is enough of a reason to hold all the gifted kids back.

I do think that the program is better than nothing, which is what our local public school offers. I think that for kids of lower LOG (levels of gifted) it's probably quite good. But the kids with higher LOG are going to be frustrated, and their special educational needs won't be met.

I guess instead of going in there to ask the Principle who dreamed up this crazy scheme, you might get farther trying to pin down exactly what your individual child's special educational needs are, and brainstorming how to get them met.

It's also a great idea to make sure you've documented that you brought (or tried to bring) your concerns to the teacher first.

But yes, I am curious - it's so deliciously tempting to want to be up in arms over this set up.
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    M
    I've been going over in my mind to see if I could remember which reference it is from. I've been reading and researching non stop for about a year and a half and I only document what helps for the current battle we are in.

I think though it may have been in "A Nation Decieved" or the latest "Guidelines for Developing a Academic Acceleration Policy". Volume 2, the one meant for educators. Wish I could be mors specific.

Basically it said that 2 or 3 subjects at a time are okay to do once you get more that that it can be overwhelming for the child. Of course they were generalizing for the 'average' gifted child, whoever that is. It could easily be misinterpreted if read wrong.

Or, they may be using outdated models in gifted education where educators didn't use to want gifted kids to get ahead of other kids for fear of social issues down the line. The "everyone evens out by middle school" model is how it was described to me.

Lots of hope going out for your meeting!

E
    elwood Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thank you all for your feedback. You've confirmed for me that I'm not missing some obvious reason for their Gifted approach.

My approach now is to a) formally discuss this with the gifted teacher, prior to b) taking this up with the Principal, prior to c) taking up with the school board. I will ask them to articulate the specific benefits behind the rotating approach to at least see if there was any real strategy behind this method. Assuming there is not any strategy behind this approach (other than "we just wanted to expose them to a number of different areas of gifted learning") then I will spell out the "decelerated" learning component of this flawed strategy & hopefully get them to see the flaws in their approach.

I actually DO hope that they have some other defensible rationale for this approach - - otherwise I fear that we have people who would likely not qualify for a gifted program making decisions about how such a program is configred.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM