Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 322 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #82309 08/10/10 07:49 PM
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    So, I'm trying to determine what type of schedule works best for DS, but have a question about block scheduling. I'm wondering if there are any downsides to dedicating an entire day to each subject. I think it might be something that would alleviate transition problems, but I don't know if it might open up a whole other can of worms that I'm not aware of. I'm thinking that it would work well for History and Science and keeping everything flowing. Math and LA are OK as-is, but I can't see where block scheduling would hurt for those.

If you do/have done block scheduling, how has it worked for you?

Thanks.

One problem with block scheduling is that "distributed practice" is more effective than "massed practice." Your brain needs to encounter something, let it go, encounter it again, let it go again, and so on. So doing a subject several times a week will be more effective than doing it just once a week.

Of course, you need to balance that against the transitional problems you mention, and also the need for large chunks of time to get deeply involved in more complex projects, as a kid gets older. But the distributed practice issue is one factor to consider.

J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks to both of you for your input. I thought about the "distributed practice" as a potential problem, particularly with regard to math. However, I think that the benefit of block learning would be far greater for my DS. He really seems to lose time and interest with each transition and it becomes more about just completing the next subject as opposed to really getting into it.

Perhaps a block schedule with a light, daily review of the other subjects (at the end of the day) is what we need to do.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by JDAx3
    Perhaps a block schedule with a light, daily review of the other subjects (at the end of the day) is what we need to do.

I don't homeschool, so take this FWIW: What about a review of math and any other subject you feel would benefit from frequent reinforcement at the beginning of the day. That way, when you then move on to a subject block, there would be no need to interrupt whatever immersion happened that day. You could just continue to go with the flow and learn to his heart's content.

I've thought often and long about homeschooling and I think that there are just so many advantages to it -- and being able to schedule as you see fit is a big one. Good luck on finding what works best for your son!

She thought she could, so she did.
    Originally Posted by mnmom23
    What about a review of math and any other subject you feel would benefit from frequent reinforcement at the beginning of the day. That way, when you then move on to a subject block, there would be no need to interrupt whatever immersion happened that day. You could just continue to go with the flow and learn to his heart's content.

This sounds like a good option. I too am trying to figure out our next year hs schedule. We've never done block scheduling but it may be worth considering.

LMom
    J
    JDAx3 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by mnmom23
    What about a review of math and any other subject you feel would benefit from frequent reinforcement at the beginning of the day.
    Great idea-I hadn't thought of that! So many options to choose from wink.

Originally Posted by LMom
    I too am trying to figure out our next year hs schedule. We've never done block scheduling but it may be worth considering.
    We're still working out the kinks here and determining what the best setup is for both of us. Block scheduling goes against everything that I remember from my school days blush, but the more I think about it, the more I see where it could be beneficial to the way my son functions. He's also really interested in trying it to see if it works better for him - he thinks it will.

Good luck to you.

I
    I
    D15 goes to a school with what they call "block scheduling", but it is not focusing for a whole day on a subject. Essentially they have 2-3 academic courses per quarter, with longer classes in the subjects every day than they would have with a "normal" non-block schedule. Typically a class (eg, French III) would meet 1st and 3rd quarter of the school year, and not 2nd and 4th quarter. Then the kids might have fine arts or electives that do occur every quarter, like choir.

I think it works pretty well, D gets to dig in more deeply to whatever subjects she has that quarter. And it is easier to keep track of assignments with fewer academic classes in a quarter. However, they cover a lot of territory in the classes (essentially a full year's material in 2 quarters). I think it is toughest for the math classes, a lot of kids have trouble with the pace.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM