Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 213 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #39049 02/23/09 04:54 PM
    OP Offline
    Although not specifically about gifted education, this might be an interesting chat. Certainly something that would work for a lot of our kids.

http://www.edweek.org/ew/events/chats/index.html

Chat Begins: Wednesday, Feb. 25, 12-1:30 p.m. Eastern time
    Disruptive Innovation in Education: A Conversation with Clayton M. Christensen and Michael B. Horn

About This Chat:
    An idea that was once on the margins of the national education debate�that schools should customize learning to better meet the needs of individual students�has moved far closer to the mainstream. Today, some leading scholars see fundamental changes starting to take root, in part because of new avenues of customization made possible by digital technology. A recent book co-authored by best-selling business expert Clayton Christensen, Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns, has touched a nerve by predicting that within a decade, half of all courses at the high school level will be delivered online.

Join us for an exclusive online discussion with Clayton M. Christensen and Michael B. Horn, authors of Disrupting Class: How Disruptive Innovation Will Change the Way the World Learns.

Our guests argue that each student needs a customized learning approach to maximize his or her potential because people learn differently from one another. When a teaching approach is better aligned with a student�s aptitudes, they believe, understanding will come more easily and the student will be more motivated in school.

I
    I
    Thanks and I hope to remember to check it out when Wednesday rolls around. Do you happen to know if these chats are archived to read later if you miss them live? I couldn't tell from the web site.

inky #39110 02/24/09 08:19 AM
    OP Offline
    I think if you scroll down a bit on the page I linked to, you'll find a link to past chat transcripts. So I can only guess that they will have transcripts up soon.

I
    I
    Thanks! I'm not sure how I missed the big link that said "See Previous Chat Transcripts." Doh! blush

inky #39125 02/24/09 11:08 AM
    OP Offline
    I don't think that was there when I first posted. They must have updated their site. That's what i'm going with....

Thanks SPG! I am SO on board with this line of thinking but hadn't heard of the book(or the authors for that matter!)

Looks really good, I'm going to attempt to at least read the transcripts!

Neato

OP Offline

L
    L
    Oh my goodness!! Thanks SPG for this link to the transcript of that fantastic ed week chat!! I am the mom in MN who you were kind to post to with suggestions in the regional section who was debating her school options. I now know without a doubt that Lighthouse is the way to go. This webchat was VERY informative and just the way Lighthouse tries to instill learning!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM