Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #17653 06/10/08 01:33 PM
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline

Well, we did have our first SD meeting (we were meeting to discuss if DS5 should skip K, as well as to get the process for identification started).

Overall, it was pretty positive. The person we met with gave us lots of information and started the ball rolling on gifted identification. It'll be until Nov until he's officially identified (assuming he passes the tests) but we expected that. Just how the process works here. They use the K-BIT which just seems like an abbreviated IQ test. (Any opinions on that one?)

We did get some good information on what we'd have to do if we wanted to skip K. Unfortunately it would be on our dime to get him evaluated for his "mental age" as that is what is needed for the paperwork to be submitted. So we're going to meet with the principal of the Elementary school and see what the curriculum is like for 1st grade. Even if we decide not to skip, it will be a good opportunity to meet with her and introduce ourselves.

The most important thing is that the meeting went well in that we both agree what our objectives are (providing DS a great education experience). From that perspective I consider it a pretty positive meeting and a good start.

BTW, Dottie hope your meeting went well too.

JB

Dottie #17655 06/10/08 02:23 PM
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Another option you might consider, that buys you time, is skipping into 1st mid year, pending testing results. If the scores are as out there as you suspect, that might be the ideal time to set that in motion. It IS disruptive to the school year, but this is not a problem for many kids. Same net result without the out of pocket $$$'s!

Glad to hear your meeting went well.

Funny you mention that option as I specifically asked about it. It has never occured in our district and recently a student was recently denied a mid-year promotion. That's okay. I understand our parameters better by asking question. Maybe it'd be possible, but it might take a herculian (sp?) effort.

So the long and short of it is that we could choose to stay the course (start K). Or we could choose to skip K and start first. I bet that if we went to the district after the fact and asked to move back down ("looks like we made a mistake") that we could do that. If we start K we're probably commiting to K. If we start 1st, we could probably adjust downward if necessary.

The person we met with was very open and gave us a lot of information on our options (like skipping) even going so far as to tell us what her bias was. I was happy to see that level of professionalism. Even though she'd recommend going one way, she'd work with us if we go the other way to the point of telling us exactly what we need to do if we decide to skip.

JB

Dottie #17656 06/10/08 02:27 PM
    I second the idea of considering a mid-year move to first. I originally thought it would be too disruptive, but it turned out that by that time DS was bored with K and was happy and eager to go to a new class. As long as the teacher is receptive, I think a mid-year move can be a viable option.

Cathy A #17657 06/10/08 02:29 PM
    Oops! I see that we were posting at the same time.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM