Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    H
    HighIQ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    I met this person on Discord who said that he was offered to go from second grade to fifth grade due to scoring high on an IQ test. What is the needed IQ score for this person to be able to skip 2nd,3rd, and 4th grades?

Last edited by HighIQ; 03/26/21 06:27 PM.
    M
    M
    IQ should only ever be one aspect of acceleration decision making. Have you read about the IOWA scale? It is quite a useful method of verifying the appropriateness of an acceleration.

I
    I
    HighIQ - You've received a GREAT reply above. I'll just add a bit more detail.

Here is a link to a roundup thread on Acceleration. In reading various discussions which have occurred over time, you may see:
    - multiple grade skips (radical acceleration)
    - parents may choose to NOT to accelerate a child for many reasons, including avoidance of a relative size disadvantage in sports and social situations which may occur due to being younger than classmates
    - Iowa Acceleration Scale (IAS) suggests minimum IQ score a for grade skip (but does not mention a minimum IQ score for radical acceleration).

As with all manner of performance and achievement, a person's IQ score is only one factor. The IQ score may not be the strongest predictive factor or determinant of success.

To skip 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grades, and have a successful 5th grade placement, a student would have learned the material taught in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grades and demonstrate readiness and ability for learning at the 5th grade level. Students in 5th grade may typically be 10-11 years old, and may have significantly different interests and social behavior patterns than a student typically placed into the 2nd grade (often 7-8 years old).

It is reasonable to theorize that looking back through time to first grade (typically 6-7 years old), a first grade pupil may not have been aware of all the assessments and discussions which occurred regarding potential acceleration decisions for their upcoming school year, and may only be aware of having taken an IQ test.

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    If the person went from second to fifth, I read that as finishing second in the spring, skipping third and fourth, and starting fifth in the fall.

If you leave IQ out of the equation and just look at above level achievement scores, you can use the IAS to figure out what those would need to be (very approximately).

According to the IAS, an above-level assessment is at least two years above the current placement, so for a second grader, that would be a fourth grade assessment. Since this is a two grade skip, you would want to look at fifth grade norms.

The IAS says that a score between the 50th and 74th percentiles on the above level test is a "good indication of...readiness to learn new content." So, when looking at the 2015 norms for the MAP test (which are useful because mortals like me can actually see them all in one place), that would roughly equate to scoring between the 94th and 98th percentiles on reading and above the 98th percentile on math.

There is no way I'd skip a kid two grades based on that, by the way. And as the parent of a kid who actually did skip two grades, I want to add that acceleration is not necessarily all it's cracked up to be.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Kai
    There is no way I'd skip a kid two grades based on that, by the way.

100%! I was reading those criteria and swallowing hard when considering where that would place DS starting from his accelerated placements. At some point, factors like executive function, social fit, and sheer joy overshadow academic misalignment.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I do have knowledge of a number of people who were multiply grade-skipped/radically accelerated (at least one at around that age), with positive outcomes, but in each case where it was multiple skips at one time, it involved transit through a year of grade-unrestricted learning, often with explicit scaffolding for executive functions and social skills. And for most, it was a series of single grade-skips.

And IQ was never the sole determining factor.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    W
    W
    I grade skipped 3 to 5 in a group of about 8. Most elementary did this at that time in my jurisdiction. So you didn't need a huge IQ for that grade skip. Anyone on the higher end could have done 2nd to 5th. But you have to cover the material -- and this is the time going from printing to writing, maybe something insignificant to many but it is a skill needed for speed and communication. And I had the advantage of a peer group for social reasons. If you do the 2, the social disadvantages will be more concerning.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM