Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Y
    Yanaz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    Is anyone familiar with a program called IHP at Walter Reed Middle school (LAUSD) ? My DS10 is in the HGA program (99.7 on NNAT3 test ) I’m thinking about this program for him ! How complicated is the entrance exam? How big is competition to get to this program ?
    Any suggestions or advice please !
    Thanks

J
    J
    My son is happy there. It is challenging. We have friends who are happy at HG magnets. Unless you have already applied you have missed out but I will say they will make some 7th graders if space opens up. The families are strong.

Admission is very competitive and they have a specific, unknown criteria. The kids seem to be high achieving, well rounded, may or may not have HG status, high if not perfect CASSP scores, and score very highly on the homemade test.

Families are friendly, the kids are all hard working and general nice, teachers seem to enjoy their jobs.

This is our first time in a district school and the staff is overall responsive. It is a very large campus but the academy organization makes it feel smaller than it is.

Applicants vary form 300-700 for 70 or so seats.

Y
    Yanaz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    He is in 4th grade , we will try next year ! He has high CASSP score ! I hope he can do it and will like it! Thanks 🙂

YanaZ.
    J
    J
    Great. Be aware that most of the kids have studied in some way or fashion for this unknown, every changing test. Lot of kids go to Korean math school, or do Beast Academy, or CTY. I know several kids who are HG and considered themselves good students who didn’t get in. Also, depending on what type of of school you are at, the lowest math they enter at is prealgebra which may be not be on track. Also, a number of private school kids will enter IHP because it is one of the few ways they can enter LAUSD gifted when they don’t have district tests or test scores.

My son didn’t study for the test but he had studied seriously for the ISEE which he did exceptionally well on and we were able to submit those scores.

Y
    Yanaz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    Thank you for information ! We still have some time to prepare! Will try hard )

YanaZ.
    J
    J
    PS there is a Facebook group for LAUSD Highly Gifted families that discuss that differences between various programs. It may help you find the best fit for your child.

Y
    Yanaz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Y
    Thank you !

YanaZ.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM