Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    Bean Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Does anyone have any experience with Indiana Academy or similar residential "early college" high schools? My freshman dd has always be homeschooled and is very interested in this for 11th and 12th grade.

I don't see it as a good fit for her (we've done a couple of visits and are lined up for parent/ family visit the first week of December). She's lonely at home, but I know from experience (mine, her dad's and older sibs), that being in a dorm probably won't solve that.

Although it's a gifted school, she had the school's "average" SAT score in 6th grade, and the girls she met when she shadowed didn't have any of her intellectual curiosity.

We've tried local college classes, but doesn't enjoy the "college talk" around her, so no peers there. I really need to find some peers for this kiddo. She's our caboose baby and our last one at home.

B
    Bean Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks Portia,
    She's a little competitive, but even if she was more so, there aren't any math circles or such around us. She was on the local swim team for 5 years, and things fell apart with a bully. She was far from competitive there, but is considering trying again with a new coach and such.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM