Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Z
    Z7E Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Z
    I have two gifted elementary aged children who have been grade skipped and subject accelerated since K. Despite being 1-3 years younger than their classmates, they are well adjusted, social, fun-loving kids thanks in part to good support by their school. They have been assessed regularly over the years, and their trajectory and their most recent scores have prompted the psychologist to warn me that very soon they will outgrow what their school (and all other options in the area) can offer academically and that the likely progression is more grade skipping at the risk of insufficient support for their social emotional development. The advice: consider moving to where there are more gifted children and schooling options.

I've known that this was coming, just not so soon. I have the luxury of being able to move anywhere but probably not sending both to private schools. There are many well-publicized high schools for HG/EG/PG children but so few for elementary and middle. Some that I am looking at include Fairfax County schools in VA, BASIS schools in AZ, and Davidson Academy in NV. I welcome any advice, thoughts and suggestions.

W
    W
    There was a kid at Hunter that completed his physic/math degree at Columbia while he attended Hunter high school for the liberal arts stuff. So your kids could get the social stuff of high school while being able to get the advanced material at the university.

C
    C
    Hello Z7E. I don't know if you have considered going south to Georgia. In DeKalb county we have in our public school system a magnet program for all gifted kids. The school starts in 4th grade and goes by the name of Kittredge Magnet School. It is all gifted/accelerated kids with testing requirements to enter. Unfortunately it is a lottery after that and only serves about 10% of those who qualify due to capacity. I had one of my kids win a lottery spot and two did not. It was everything I hoped for and more. We also have private schools here. The top private schools people recognize as the greats down here (Westminster, Lovett, PACE, etc.) are expensive $25K/yr/kid and do no acceleration. We were disappointed on many fronts.
    They get better in middle and strong in high school but elementary is weak. There is one private school - Fulton Science Academy Private School (Alpharetta GA) that starts at pre-K and goes through 12th. They serve only gifted/accelerated and have kids moving up grades and course levels everywhere. They start an 18 month math track (in normal 12 months) in 1st grade allowing a kid to jump a 1/2 year per year. This school is $12-13K/yr so much more reasonable. All 4 of my kids have been there and I currently have my 2nd grader there (working on 4th grade math - ahead of their most accelerated path). For high school we also have dual enrollment down here allowing your Junior/Senior in HS to complete 2 years of college in parallel with high school for free. Also, we have free tuition to in state schools (GA Tech, UGA - 2 top 50 nationally ranked schools) to name a few if you graduate HS with a 3.7. We are from MA originally and while it took some time to look we are really happy with our options in GA for gifted schooling. All 4 of my kids have needed this. My oldest (14 yo) starts at GA Tech for Engineering in June and will enter as a Junior. A great success story.

P
    P
    Hi Z7E,

Did you decide on the school ? Any advice/suggestions from your experience ?

We have a (will be in) 2nd grade kid and we can work from anywhere. Looking for a public school for gifted.

Thanks in advance.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM