Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    M
    mamaof4 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hello,

My DD is 9 and is newly being homeschooled because public school did not have resources available to meet her academic needs. She is working at a high school/college level across the board.

In our state, students have to take credits to earn a high school diploma and pass a state proficiency exam. My question is...should we enroll in an accredited online school now to begin earning her credits or do we wait. Our concern is that she will be forced to repeat material in order to satisfy credit requirements if we wait. Does anyone have an experiences with early high school enrollment? Thoughts?

Thanks for your help!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by mamaof4
    ... My DD is 9 and is newly being homeschooled because public school did not have resources available to meet her academic needs. She is working at a high school/college level across the board... Does anyone have an experiences with early high school enrollment? Thoughts? ...
    Because your post shows you are in Reno, have you looked into the Davidson Academy of Nevada? Information at this link indicates they have a tour for prospective students later this week.

M
    M
    I would look at the Davidson Academy since you are so very fortunate enough to live right there.

If you want to continue home schooling - you may not even need a high school diploma; from what I understand in the US more and more Universities are accepting Home Schooled kids without one - they hand in a portfolio, write an entrance exam and essay and do an interview with the faculty they are interested in pursuing.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    M
    mamaof4 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you for your help! We do feel very fortunate to live in Reno with the Davidson Academy here. We have taken the tour and have begun the application process. Eventually, Davidson would be perfect for her granted that she is admitted. In the meantime, finding resources has proven challenging. I am not sure what to have her working on/toward while we wait for Davidson.

S
    S
    What is the minimum age at Davidson?

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    M
    mamaof4 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Hmmm! I can't find a minimum age for Davidson. It does have a requirement of at least sixth grade knowledge. When we took the tour at Davidson there was only one other 9 year old that was considering applying. Most of the kids were 11, 12, and up. We are planning on having our daughter take either the SAT or ACT this winter so we will have a better idea of her scores and whether or not she will make the academic qualification criteria. If she does not qualify, we will continue to homeschool and reapply in another year.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM