Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    renie1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    my DD5 is entering kindergarden in the fall and parents are permitted to talk to the school in "general terms" about what type of teacher would be best for their child. I have put this off and it might be too late, but i just heard from a friend that one of the teachers is extremely strict and rigid, and i have a gut feeling this type of teacher would be a disaster.
    My daughter is:
    -HG, with WPPSI FSIQ 147
    -relative low achivement, average %tile for reading and math
    -highly perfectionistic, afraid to show anyone she doesn't know how to read (so never accepts ANY instruction).
    -tends to be oppositional (she is the one that "baby talk" thread was aobut. Though after reading Webb and Eide book, i don't think she is "clinically" ODD.
    -has a montessori preschool background.

So my question is, do you agree that a strict, strong willed teacher would be a problem? My friend who is a gifted educator thinks she'd be best with someone "irresistably stimulating" who would pull my daugthter in (in spite of herself!)..and not the strong type. what do you guys think. anyone have a child like this?

irene

B
    B
    Irene - you just described my DS6 to a tee and close to the same IQ all with very close to the same issue including the montessori preschool background (he did montessori for 3 years)....we have been worried about the same thing...we homeschooled for K and he has asked to try the local public school for First grade.....I am in the same thought as you....I don't think my little guy would do very well with a strong willed, strict teacher...it would just make him either shut down or butt heads constantly.I love the description of an "irresistably stimulating" teacher. If you find one...please let me know so I can clone them!!! I know that a teacher that will go out of their way to invite a child into exploring and learning through creative approaches will be what works best for my son....keeping my fingers crossed for you!

R
    renie1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    thanks belle, i am so glad to see your post and that we're not alone!
    irene

Kinder was my daughter's best year. She is now going into seventh. There were two teachers: one sweet and loving and the other strict.

I watched both classes go through elementary and I feel that we benefitted from the loving teacher.

This is their introduction to school. It sets the tone for the rest of their school years. My daughter's teacher encouraged them to bond well and introduced them to a love of learning. I have seen these students succeed so much and their interest has not waned. They also learned to work together and this has benefitted them.

This helps when they are in middle school and developing a different attitude about school.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM