Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Hi. My daughter is in 4th grade and while she finds math too easy, many of her friends are struggling. The kids and their moms are getting frustrated and starting to hate math. As a female engineer, it is heartbreaking for me to see young girls turn away from math. So I suggested that I would run a math club this summer for the girls where we would learn to fall in love with numbers. I don't want it to be a tutoring class with worksheets and curriculum. I want it to be fun so the girls can become confident in their math and problem solving abilities. And that's why I'm here. I am hoping you guys can recommend some good resources for me. Thanks everyone.

E
    E
    Check out the Math for Love guys in Seattle - I suspect they have exactly what you are looking for.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thank you ElizabethN. I joined their mailing list and browsed through the free stuff- got some neat ideas. The curriculum is $95 so I might purchase but will definitely be using the free lessons. The site had a couple of board games that looked interesting. Are there other math oriented board games that you/your kids like?

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks Portia. I love the resources on the website. My daughter will enjoy the challenge but even level 1 might be too hard for the other kids. They are struggling with division and fractions so specific games/resources for those concepts would also help.

F
    F
    Here is a collection of resources: http://mymathclub.blogspot.com/

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks Flyingmouse. I have to brush up on my math to solve some of problems on the site laugh would you know of a similar resource site for elementary math?

D
    D
    I always recommend to all WolframAlfa for any level of knowledge. This is a very good resource both for studying the basics of mathematics, and for those who want to improve their level. Also, pay attention to the site assignment.essayshark.com/math-help, because here you can perform a specific assignments with the help of a mentor or find useful information in the blog. Khan Academy can also be useful to beginners, since there are courses designed for any level of preparation. From the books I advise "The Princeton Companion to Mathematics" by Timothy Gowers. It will help to trace the development of modern mathematics, explain the main terms and concepts, to study the basic ideas in the basic fields of mathematics.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Thanks devenor. I�m sorry I didn�t reply earlier as I am not on this site often. I have used Khan academy videos but the other resources were new to me. Will definitely check them out.

G
    G
    That's a great initiative! For a fun and engaging summer math club, you could consider incorporating capstone projects where the girls can apply their problem-solving skills to real-world situations. Some resources to check out include MathCounts, Khan Academy, and the National Math Foundation. Best of luck with your club!

a developer at WiseEssays, an essay writing service.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM