Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Kodable recently came to my attention and I thought I would share these links here:
    - Kodable - Parents' page
    - Kodable - about

To avoid being an 'ad,' I'm linking to other discussion threads which have also mentioned coding resources:
    - Python (July 2018)
    - toys and games for gifted (June 2018) - mentions coding aspect of Minecraft
    - Computer Programming and YouTuber? (March 2017)
    - Entry to computer ownership, coding, hacking (March 2017)

I'm sure there are others, but this is a start...
    smile

I want to reiterate just how huge Python is right now. There has been an explosive proliferation in its usage across many industries. In particular, Data Science (with R) and Machine Learning areas have many libraries out there written in Python.

Kids proficient in these skills will earn multiples more during summer jobs than they would interning, stacking shelves or mowing lawns potentially.

Become what you are
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    I want to reiterate just how huge Python is right now. There has been an explosive proliferation in its usage across many industries. In particular, Data Science (with R) and Machine Learning areas have many libraries out there written in Python.

Kids proficient in these skills will earn multiples more during summer jobs than they would interning, stacking shelves or mowing lawns potentially.
    Not where we live, I can say from the first-hand experience of my son, who gets minimum wage as a programmer for a local private school that offers programming classes. They know that in well-off areas, kids are working more to improve their college resume than to earn money. They will write him a recommendation, though, and I hope that will carry weight in applications to competitive computer science programs.

W
    W
    I am surprised Bostonian since my kid's computer club has been all about Python for the last few years. Not sure about her class since it is AP based.
    I am pushing for a database workshops for them. They don't learn about databases.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by madeinuk

Not where we live, I can say from the first-hand experience of my son, who gets minimum wage as a programmer for a local private school that offers programming classes. They know that in well-off areas, kids are working more to improve their college resume than to earn money. They will write him a recommendation, though, and I hope that will carry weight in applications to competitive computer science programs.

Great point, I was a bit vague on that - I suppose that I was thinking of college kids being the people who would would benefit from this. I hadn't considered schoolkids.

Become what you are

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM