Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    DD13 does not want to/have time to take piano lessons, but can read music (she plays another instrument--this is only year 2, though) and has taught herself to play keyboard by ear. Can anyone recommend self-teaching resources? She seems to be pretty good at this already--she taught herself much of her friend's piano recital piece, and her friend's been playing for a few years. But DH and I do not play piano and know nothing about it. I assume she is doing many things wrong. She is also very stubborn. wink

U
    OP Offline
    U
    We have an inexpensive keyboard that seems to be working fine for her. No piano.

P
    P
    This may sound the opposite of what you'd want to do, but have you thought of just letting her self-teach and find her own resources? My ds takes piano lessons, but he also has taught himself a ton on his own. He is not necessarily doing things the way I would have thought to have him taught - I took classical piano lessons for my entire childhood and practiced every day, way before there was electronic music and keyboards smile DS, otoh, was never taught in-depth theory yet picked up a ton of it on his own by listening to the music he liked. With the tools available now to integrate technology, a kid who's inclined to be musical can learn so much just by doing and experimenting - ds spends a lot of time hopping back and forth between his laptop, our keyboard, and our piano. In spite of his lack of traditional musical instruction he plays really well and in a way that he can entertain a crowd.

It's also possible that if you let her experiment on her own, she may eventually decide that she'd like formal lessons.

Best wishes,

polarbear

A
    A
    try this one:
    https://www.hoffmanacademy.com
    I saw it on kickstarter a while ago and have been following it.

Disclaimer: my son takes lessons with a teacher and does not use this website, so I cannot recommend it from personal experience.

P
    P
    No experience, but I have looked a bit into this before. Here's the first couple sites that came up under "buyers' guide online piano lessons" that might help think about what you are looking for:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-5-sites-for-learning-piano-online/

http://www.digitalpianoreviewguide.com/what-are-the-best-beginner-piano-lessons/

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Thanks! Good suggestions.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM