Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Giftedandtalented.com has replaced EPGY k-7 math curriculum with Redbird Mathematics: Advanced Edition. It's supposed to launch today. From the webinar I saw, those of you who are already enrolled can opt to upgrade to this version for no charge. If you don't like it you can supposedly contact them to switch back to EPGY.

The new version has more bells and whistles, and it offers math enrichment challenges for the most advanced students. Advanced students (based on performance) will be "fast tracked" to skip lectures, be offered fewer item sets (review problems), start with more difficult item sets with fewer review problems, and have access to challenging enrichment problems. Students who don't perform at advanced levels will not have access to the enrichment challenges.

The advanced edition is for both the tutor supported K-7 math version and the independent study version of k-7 math. There is currently no group functionality, but it's something they are considering for the future. From what I saw, I don't think you can have any settings adjusted like you could with an SSA in EPGY, but I really can't say for sure. They also have school licenses.

You can see a video here .

My DD finished EPGY last year, so I can't give updates. Hopefully, those of you who are trying this new version can post feedback on it.

J
    J
    For background, we (my DS6.5) started doing EPGY/giftedandtalented.com math frequently in December as part of our homeschooling work. He's just a bit into 2nd grade level now.

To be brief, he HATED it. mad

We only did a few minutes of it this morning, before switching back to the familiar, older version. So, keep that brief usage time in mind here.

In the defense of Redbird, I'd say DS doesn't like change. My biggest critique is that it's a robotic voice, which is a negative compared to having an actual recorded person narrating.

It also incorporates things like an addition table. He caught on to that quickly, but didn't like it. I can see its value, but I'm not sure that seeing a lot of ways to do simple addition adds a lot of value for a PG kid. This seems to be a common concern with common core-oriented curriculums and highly gifted kids.

You have to push the speaker icon/button to hear the robotic voice. If you don't, the program is silent. While the "happy" sound for a correct answer in the older EPGY program can get a little annoying, it's better than silence for giving a kid feedback.

The new program adds more visuals, like a background photo image. It looks like its full color videos too. I can see the appeal, but I'm not sure it really helps. The straightforward approach of the older EPGY program seems to have been working.

This is based on extremely limited use, but not so impressed so far.

L
    L
    DD tried the new Redbird format it after a long hiatus (she was DONE with the old format...just refused to do it any more, but we still had time left in subscription), and we had multiple issues. Graphics were stuck OVER questions (so she did not know what was being asked). Also, she again complained it was too easy, and too slow. I tried to contact CS about the issues, so we'll see if it can be fixed.

A
    ACW
    Unregistered
    ACW
    Unregistered
    A
    DD4 tried it last week. She worked her way quickly through the "Numbers to 10" unit. When the unit ended, it restarted with the exact same lessons, as if she had never worked her way through it. I contacted the help chat. The answer they eventually came back with was "the program is working correctly." They seem to claim that this is some form of reinforcement for ideas not yet learned sufficiently. Meanwhile, my daughter was crying because the progress she had made was erased as far as she could tell. Even if she had not hadn't demonstrated knowledge, to make her think that she had made progress only to start her over again at the beginning of the unit is infuriating.
    We also had MANY issues with graphics. We could never make it work on the iPad, and many questions could not be seen or would not fit on one screen even on the laptop.
    Also, although the presentation format is prettier, it does move a lot slower than the other version. The help desk sent me a map of her progress (since they don't yet have reports available), and she had advanced through every section fine, except one section in which she answered 10 in a row wrong, probably because she was tired of doing the same thing over and over again.

N
    N
    We switched over to Redbird this morning. You don't start where you left off in EPGY? That's not going to work...can I switch it back?

A
    ACW
    Unregistered
    ACW
    Unregistered
    A
    You can switch it back - we did. Your child will pick up where he/she left off.

V
    V
    Any additional feedback from folks who have switched. MY DS is at 7.0 in EPGY and wondering if we should just stay the course. My DS is at 3.5 and might be worth considering.

I am especially concerned on Sully's comment on the lack of logic thread. Is this just embedded into the other threads?

Also does it give the same thread base progress report as EPGY. My kids school is looking for that.

Thanks

T
    T
    My daughter loves the new Redbird math. Here is a post I wrote on it and my posts since include pictures and how much she is enjoying it. https://incrediblejourneyofgiftedne...merly-epgy-and-a-promo-code-for-savings/

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM