Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    So I signed DD8 up to use EPGY through open enrollment this weekend. Can someone offer us some advice on finding the right level for her? Also, do I need to do something extra to get the program onto the "gifted" setting? I started her in 3rd grade since her school math to date has been differentiated, but not accelerated. She quickly started to whine that her 5-year-old brother could do this. Then I bumped her up .5 grade, then another .5 grade until she stopped whining wink . Then she diligently worked for a while, getting nearly everything right (99%), advancing .2 grade (so now she is at 4.2, and she seems to like the sense of mastery that getting almost everything right is giving her, but I am just not sure this is the right level). I guess I'm wondering whether I am leveling her correctly. The "group" I am in has a contact in our school district, but I was not "invited." I am not sure if we need to be. The best I can tell, the person is another parent of a child in our same school district, but I do not know this person at all, so I am a little confused now about whether I should have even "signed up" under our school district (I was actually thinking it was the schools themselves that might be utilizing EPGY, but now I do not think so).

So apparently, I do not know what I am doing - but after I bumped her up, DD said EPGY was "fun." smile Can anyone help me understand how to get the right level and make sure she is using the "gifted" setting (she learns quickly, that is why we are trying EPGY)- I did not see this option on the parent adjustment screen. TIA! smile

E
    E
    If she is not bored and says it is fun, then I would say you are at the right level. They will progress very quickly through the grade levels, so don't worry about starting too low as long as boredom is not happening.
    The SSA for your group can very easily check the box to get her in the gifted setting under the course options.

L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks, ericl! She is doing this to supplement school (no acceleration is available until they reach a higher grade, although she is "on-track" according to her teacher to get into accelerated math), so I am just wanting her to maximize her time.

She is in quite a few after school activities, so she won'l always have extra time to use EPGY (since it is in addition to her regular math coursework).

I did contact the "contact person," but her child is no longer in EPGY, so she cannot help me.

She did over 450 problems yesterday and got 99% correct - my idea with EPGY was to enrich/challenge her in math a bit more. It doesn't seem very challenging for her yet, and I don't want her to loose interest. Hopefully, as she moves up, it will be more challenging for her.

L
    Loy58 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks, Portia - it appears from the reports that she is getting 3-7 problems per "exercise." On Sunday, she actually had time to play with it for a while - that is NOT the norm for her. I think seeing her progress will keep her interested. I think if it moves too slowly, she won't feel interested in doing what amounts to "extra math work" for her.

Since our school apparently lost its SSA, we are in EPGY-limbo-land at the moment. So any advice is appreciated.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM