Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    bzylzy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    I am looking for sources for my daughter to nurture her interest in building/architecture/design.

When I was in middle school my father got me this really cool workbook where you studied all the little blueprint symbols and design/building elements (I might not be saying it quite right) and I could draw my own house designs with floor layouts and stuff. I used to keep if flat open on top of my math book because this one year our teacher kept doing the same thing over and over and over...

Not that I would mention such a thing to her (lol) or encourage this, but it reminded me of a resource I had that was so much fun when I was going through my “I want to be an architect” stage.

I was looking for some sort of blueprint workbooks like I used to have (my father passed away a while ago otherwise I’d pick his brain) or some sort of online architecture or blueprint program. She likes the inter-workings of a building like elevators, designing windows, secret passageways, staircases, roofs and unexpected things like trap doors.

DD has a healthy supply of LEGO that she manipulates, has K’NEX, an old building set of mine, Lincoln Logs, and is getting better and manipulating the LEGO design studio program and has spent her share of time on the LEGO creator site. She also has gotten alot of use out of that LEGO ideas book.

I’ve perused Google, Mindware (I might try the Introduction 2 Architecture but it might not last long) and the National Building Museum online shop.

Anyone been here at this junction before who can recommend? She’s age 8 but I would bump it up a few years for a challenge.

Thanks.

p.s. Also, if anyone knows where to access a "list" of the history or background of why streets and roads are called "Street" "Road" "Avenue" 'Boulevard" etc. She's been asking this. We asked an architect we know and he said "I'll give her the answer when she's ready" but I think maybe she is ready (if she's asking the question, and it's not exactly non-age appropriate material : - ) !

Last edited by bzylzy; 03/27/12 07:30 AM. Reason: forgot the last part!
    A
    A
    Have you looked at software like "3D Home Architect"? If not, it might be a place to start.

For the history of words, I really like "Etymology online". Here is their entry for "boulevard".

B
    bzylzy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    thanks for the good tips aculady!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM