Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    V
    VANJ Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    I have a 10-year old boy in 5th grade public elementary school in northern NJ. We explored some summer academic residential programs and liked the JHU CTY Summer residential program. My son took their SCAT test and is eligible to apply. I don't know any people in my area who have first-hand experience with this program so I am hoping to reach a wider audience using this forum. Here are my questions.

1. How is the program? $3500 is a very steep price for a 3-week program, is it worth it?

2. Is a residential program suitable for a 10-year old? He is a mature boy and looking forward to living away from home for 3 weeks but being parents we are concerned. I assume he will be interacting with other 10 and 11 year old kids? I wouldn't be comfortable if older, high school kids are around.

3. How valuable did you or your child find the experience? Both from an academic and social, independent perspective?

I read that programs like this look good on a college application "resume" but how much sense does it make for a 5th grader?

As you can tell, I am slightly conflicted about the situation, not very sure if it is the right thing to do. While I am happy that my son is showing interest in an academic program rather than the usual recreational sports oriented programs, I am not sure if this is too early for such programs.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Hi VANJ,

My son participated in JHU CTY last year at age 10. He loved it. Everyone is withing 1 or 2 yrs of each other, very diverse (lots of international students) and couselors help them. I was worried about my son because he can forget to zip up his pants or tie his shoes, but he was fine. I can't tell you whether it's worth the money, but it was very valuable to my DS and he's doing another jhu cty program this summer.

You can PM me if you need more info. I wouldn't over-estimate the value of programs on college resume (until they're in high school).

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM