Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 254 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #34848 01/14/09 09:17 AM
    OP Offline
    Here's the latest from Tamara Fisher, about a young student teacher's experience with sparse gifted education:

The Echo in the Pipeline

I know our state gifted group is advocating for requiring some teaching about gifted kids in the curriculum of the colleges that train teachers here, but reading this article reminds me that it would be only a drop in the bucket. It's nice to read about a ripple in the pond - let's help make more of them!

Last edited by st pauli girl; 01/14/09 09:24 AM.
    I
    I
    Thanks for sharing that and I'll be thinking about ways I can share my knowledge and experience with gifted children.

I thought it was interesting that Narysa had been in the gifted program herself. I think the "all but banging their heads against the wall they were so bored going over material that was much too easy for them" keeps many GT from pursuing teaching careers unless it's in higher education. It seems Narysa benefited from being in the blogger's gifted class and a few years later the schools and many other children will benefit from having this talented young woman for a teacher.

It's not a matter of choosing to educate gifted children over other children, as it's often framed by opponents of gifted ed. By choosing to provide gifted education for Narysa, we all benefit because this "future teacher is well on her way to being the kind of teacher who will reach and stretch all of the students in her classroom, including the often-overlooked gifted ones."

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM