Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hiya all!

I am looking for resources for DS4 who is showing great skill in math but isn't a proficient reader. He's currently working at about a 1st grade level in Khan Academy mixed with geometry and fractions. The trouble is, he can't quite read beyond numbers, simple equations, Bob books and recognizing his favorite words, leaving me to read absolutely everything else for him. Some days that's okay, others I really need him to be able to work with minimal input on my part.

We've played a bit with ixl.com and we use the free portion, but he doesn't like it as much as he likes Khan. I'm going to try Front Row again, but not holding my breath as he didn't much care for that one either. We've played with Starfall a bit, but he didn't really glom onto that one either. He will play Duck Duck Moose math games, but those reinforce what he already knows rather than giving him a platform for exploration. I'd love to know what other kids find fun and engaging that doesn't always require an adult to participate.

P
    P
    Are you sure the interaction with you isn't part of the enjoyment.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    puffin, I'm sure it is! And I think that's great. We have a fun time with math. However, sometimes I'm not available or my availability is limited and he still wants to do the math.

S
    S
    We had a similar experience with our son. At 4, we started him on the Education Program For Gifted Youth (EPGY), which was created by a professor at Stanford University. It has been taken over by a private education company that has repackaged the program to be more in line with common core standards. If you call the company (Redbird Mathmatics) they may still give you access to the old program. They did in our case. We did both versions and EPGY is superior in my opinion. It is all online and the questions are read to the child. We had to sit with our son until he got use to working and clicking the mouse. But eventually he got the hang of it and was able to work the program on his own for the most part. It does not work on a tablet.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you Portia and southflamom! We poked around at PBSkids and I'm looking into EPGY/Redbird.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM