Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 187 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    longcut Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    DS10 is enjoying the audio book for "A Short History of Nearly Everything," and pointed out it's the first non-fiction audio I've set him up with. I know I can share more podcasts with him, but am curious what other audio books a library might carry that are age appropriate but at a middle to high school level comprehension. He's itching for deeper than what they read in elementary school for science and history, in particular.

N
    N
    "What if" is fascinating and funny, science and mathy, though much of the "what ifs" don't end well for mankind. But usually in a funny way unless DS is very fearful. The reader (Wil Wheaton I think) is a big part of why it's a good listen.

I hear Wesley the Owl, and Grayson, are good reads. They are on our list but haven't gotten there yet.

We also enjoy NPR's "Driveway Moments" and "Fresh Air with Terry Gross" for lighter fare.

L
    longcut Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Thank you, NotherBen. I will look those up! I suppose the best thing would be to pre-read such things myself to know when themes might get a little mature for a younger kid.

C
    C
    It's not an audiobook, and you have to use IE but the Feynman Physics lectures are here:

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/tools/tuva/index.html

L
    longcut Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Originally Posted by cmguy
    It's not an audiobook, and you have to use IE but the Feynman Physics lectures are here:

http://research.microsoft.com/apps/tools/tuva/index.html

Had to chuckle, IE, I haven't used that in years. No idea what that alert about installing a Silverlight extension would do on my Mac, so I'll have to look into it.

Primarily, I am looking for audio for offline listening, to use on a portable device, or audio CDs. :-)

P
    P
    My DD11 is a history buff and has recently gotten very into biographies. There should be a wide variety available in all forms. She is reading the "Who Was" series (nice font, big print so quite accessible despite her dyslexia) but you should be able to find a variety of biographies in audio form too. Just last night she finished Elvis Presley and before that it was Queen Elizabeth I, Albert Einstein and Alfred Hitchcock. There is also a "What Was" series and she just started reading about Pompeii. We load books onto her phone through our local public library (using Overdrive) so she can listen on the bus to school and also take out books on CD that we all listen to in the car but those have mostly been fiction.

N
    N
    You might be able to find Feynman's memoirs "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman" and "What Do You Care What Other People Think?" in audio book. While maybe not what you had in mind, I found them fascinating as a young teen. But watch out, your youngster may turn into a safecracker.

"Tuva or Bust" was also interesting, if a bit disappointing.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM