Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 186 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    I am considering using study.com in my homeschool curriculum for my 7yr old daughter. Has anyone used this and is it worth the cost? We are doing he 5 day trail and she seems to really like the videos, but I wanted to see if others have used it successfully.

We used it when it was still in beta trial mode and FREE (it was called education portal then). I refused to shell out $$$ now because there's plenty of other FREE resources available that my ds9 can use instead. When it was free, we did try to experiment with it over a range of subjects (math, history, science - not English though). It had a more traditional, structured approach to subjects, but I did really like how they broke down the geometry. Wish I had that type of instruction for geometry when I was in high school!

I've been un/homeschooling him for three years now and, to be honest, we've been trying to keep educational costs to a minimum. For us now, it's not worth it since we wouldn't be able to use it for all subjects. There's no French language, for instance, and the English doesn't have what my son needs. I can't remember if there was a lab with biology or not either - or with the other science courses.

At this point, I'd suggest seeing what you could get for free (or a nominal fee) or what study.com can do that other free sites cannot do. But I think this depends what you're comfort level is, what you're looking for, etc.

Also, there have been discussions about study.com on well trained mind forums (http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/) if you want to see what others have said. After using the site for free, most no longer think it's worth it to pay for it.

C
    C
    We are working on our last free month with them.
    My 9yo ds learns best by video and they cover so many topics that we will continue to use them.
    Homeschool Buyers Co-Op is offering a subscription for $33/mo. with the quizes if you pay for a year.
    If you have a student that learns well with this program then it could be worth it to subscribe.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM